ES - 6th Gen (2013-2018) Discussion topics related to 2013+ ES models

Low Mileage 2015 300h: Harsh ride

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-24, 06:02 PM
ester2015
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Low Mileage 2015 300h: Harsh ride

Recently purchased a low mileage (40k miles) 2015 ES 300h that for all intents and purposes was very underused. In fact, I think it sat a lot. It passed safety no problem and with a full batch of service records from new, I took a gamble at a decent price.
The ride was harsh from the beginning but I knew it needed new tires. I put on new Michelin Defender 2s, admittedly not the best choice as they are not the softest ride.
I'm just really bothered by how much I'm feeling within the car over any type of road surface and especially over any uneven, rough, or bumpy/potholed roads. it feels like there's very little dampening happening and the frame is absorbing the road instead of my shocks. I'm lowkey worried I'm creating new rattles.

I have an appointment with a Lexus mechanic to see if there's anything out of the ordinary. I realize that the best replacement parts are OEM from Lexus but man, hella expensive here in Canada.

I'm expecting I'll need new struts, mounts, and possibly tie rod ends. I'm thinking that all the resting the car did couldn't have been good for the struts and the rubber bushings may have aged out.

Are the KYB OEM (non-Lexus) really that much harsher than Lexus-KYB? I suppose the Lexus strut mounts are superior to the KYB mounts as well. I'd love to get the car back in a state where I'm not cringing over everything on the road that isn't fresh pavement. Just not sure it's worth going Lexus OEM to do that.
Old 07-09-24, 09:06 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 200 Likes on 170 Posts

If the car has 18” wheels, you also might consider a switch to 17”s as you change the tires. The smaller diameter rim will allow a larger (deeper), sidewall than the 18s and give a softer ride. As long as the OD of the tires remain the same there won’t be any change or programming needed. Since the tire pressure sensors are nearing the end of their lives (generally 7-10 years for their batteries), it’s also a good time to replace them as well. Unless the car was pounded down dirt, gravel, and pot-holed roads I wouldn’t think any suspension bits should be worn out…my 2014 has 182,000 km on the clock and the suspension, other than the brake pads and discs, is all original; the ride is very comfortable and last year it handled a 14,000km round trip across Canada and back…via the Northern route across Ontario. Beware Lexus service advisors…they exist to make profit for the dealership.
Old 07-09-24, 09:59 PM
ester2015
4th Gear

I forgot to mention that these are the factory wheels so the tires are 215/55/17. I've lowered the air pressure to 32psi and it doesn't change the ride.

I'm trying to improve the dampening because I feel like it's not doing a very good job at this right now. It feels like the frame of the car is taking the brunt of the road instead of the car's suspension. I'm terrified this car had an undocumented accident or something like that.

Halp!
Old 07-10-24, 04:54 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Both 17 and 18 inch wheels can be standard depending on the option package. You said 40:000 miles…is that miles or km? The reason I ask is because we’ve had 2 Corollas, 1 Camry and 1 Toyota truck and 1 RAV in the family plus my ES. Not one of them needed suspension parts except the Camry and they all went well over 150,000 km without needing suspension bits except the Camry. My daughter is driving it and it had 375,000 km when she got the struts done. That was my car since the first 20,000 km so I know they were original. We drive oilfield foads, back country gravel, and mountain roads sometimes in winter so our cars do not get babied. Your thoughts on a possible accident are valid but I would go with an independant mechanic to get it checked out: even a Toyota dealer would be a better place to go; the ES is essentially a clone of the Avalon of the same year. Good luck. Too bad Toyota Canada won’t give out maintenance history like Toyota US does. Did you get Carfax on it?
Old 07-10-24, 08:48 AM
Audiobahn20
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I guess my first question is..
Compared to what?

I mean when I compare the ride of my 2014 to the ride of a previous Generation, the ride was much better in the previous generations.
I also could double down on, yes the car is 10 years old now (not old in modern terms, and has low miles) but it most likely needs suspension maintenance even if everything checks out as functional.
I have a 2014 with no real handling or rides issues, but I am beginning to redo the suspension anyway. I will go with all LEXUS OE, except for brakes I will probably stick with Power Stop as I have had great results with their products.

Does the car "bounce" or "sway" at all over bumps or higher speed turns? If so I would start with struts and work my way in from there.

I test drove a 2015 ES last year where the seller was very proud of themselves that they had replaced every suspension component as maintenance at 100k mi to restore the ride and handling.
They had never driven a LEXUS before, and I came back and reported that it handled like a 1979 Chevy Caprice!! It simply rode and handled horribly! They took offense and started producing receipts for the work... I realized they had purchased store brand parts from Advance Auto, they truly ruined that vehicle for the next owner.
Old 07-10-24, 10:05 AM
Tootsall
Instructor

Originally Posted by Audiobahn20
Compared to what?

I mean when I compare the ride of my 2014 to the ride of a previous Generation, the ride was much better in the previous generations.
I also could double down on, yes the car is 10 years old now (not old in modern terms, and has low miles) but it most likely needs suspension maintenance even if everything checks out as functional.
I have a 2014 with no real handling or rides issues, but I am beginning to redo the suspension anyway. I will go with all LEXUS OE, except for brakes I will probably stick with Power Stop as I have had great results with their products.

Does the car "bounce" or "sway" at all over bumps or higher speed turns? If so I would start with struts and work my way in from there.

I test drove a 2015 ES last year where the seller was very proud of themselves that they had replaced every suspension component as maintenance at 100k mi to restore the ride and handling.
They had never driven a LEXUS before, and I came back and reported that it handled like a 1979 Chevy Caprice!! It simply rode and handled horribly! They took offense and started producing receipts for the work... I realized they had purchased store brand parts from Advance Auto, they truly ruined that vehicle for the next owner.
Good point..."compared to what"? Not knowing what the OP's previous vehicles have been, even a new Lexus may feel quite different to them. A cushy, floaty, "boulevard ride" of an older Eldorado just isn't going to be there with a newer car (unless you're comparing with a Rolls or Maybach!)
Old 07-10-24, 11:14 AM
ester2015
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Tootsall
Both 17 and 18 inch wheels can be standard depending on the option package. You said 40:000 miles…is that miles or km? The reason I ask is because we’ve had 2 Corollas, 1 Camry and 1 Toyota truck and 1 RAV in the family plus my ES. Not one of them needed suspension parts except the Camry and they all went well over 150,000 km without needing suspension bits except the Camry. My daughter is driving it and it had 375,000 km when she got the struts done. That was my car since the first 20,000 km so I know they were original. We drive oilfield foads, back country gravel, and mountain roads sometimes in winter so our cars do not get babied. Your thoughts on a possible accident are valid but I would go with an independant mechanic to get it checked out: even a Toyota dealer would be a better place to go; the ES is essentially a clone of the Avalon of the same year. Good luck. Too bad Toyota Canada won’t give out maintenance history like Toyota US does. Did you get Carfax on it?
In Canada at least, the stock wheel is the 17" hybrid wheel for the 300h. There's no option package in Canada for the hybrid that gives you an 18" rim.
I meant 40,000 miles. That's 64,000 kilometers.

I've had Camrys, Corollas, Buick Park Avenues, and vintage cars from the 60s. This is by far the most punishing ride I've had yet. In fact, I'd say my 20 year old Corolla handled the bumps better than this car. On smooth pavement it's great and I hope to make this car more like I expected: a smooth ride that absorbs imperfections and does not transfer them to the driver or the frame.
Old 07-10-24, 11:17 AM
ester2015
4th Gear

Compared to what?

The feeling I get going over bad pavement or bumps is that it's more like a dinky car we played with as a kid--there's no dampening and whatever is there is felt by the driver, up or down.
Old 07-10-24, 01:29 PM
Audiobahn20
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ester2015
The feeling I get going over bad pavement or bumps is that it's more like a dinky car we played with as a kid--there's no dampening and whatever is there is felt by the driver, up or down.
Based on what you're saying, I would say start with replacing struts, then have an alignment done.

If your dampening is non-existent, the wear is immediately transferred to the next movement point so it will quickly start to wear out tie-rods, sway bar bushings and end links, control arms, etc.

I must say, as mentioned above by Tootsall, the struts should not be completely shot at that mileage or age... My recommendation of starting there is based on your description of how the car feels.
I am a proponent of including suspension components at 100k mi maintenance intervals due to wear, but I have never had a (quality) strut actually fail within 100k mi.
I do see "store brand" struts failing at 50k mi all the time in some of my friends vehicles.

I hope you get it figured out, I would be beyond pissed off if I could not enjoy the LEXUS ride as intended.... I feel as though older generations were quieter, but regardless of the year the ES cabin is arguably a nice place to be!!
Old 07-10-24, 11:01 PM
is250916
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I pump the air on my es300h 17 inch tires to 38-40psi. I get the best gas mileage out of them. Plus, it feels so much better on the road comfort wise

Old 07-14-24, 09:43 AM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,333 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Lexus Struts are not what they use to be. In all the models there have been premature leakage and failure that are in some cases shocking, as low as 30k +/-.they have been known to leak. Lexus is kind of in denial and has sent directive out to their shops even saying some leakage is normal. It's not at all, and leakage is unacceptable. My 13 ES350 U/L went 150k with no leakage or strut problems, drove like a Lexus still just fine.

If you google and/or search CL for Lexus leaking strut problems, you will see what I mean. To the op's other problem question, Yes the KYB OEM (non-Lexus) are harsher, stiffer riding to the point you can feel it. Less body roll and better handling but they are harsher than the Lexus replacements.

I'm fairly certain with the low miles you have you likely do not have any suspension bushing problems unless the car was previously abused, or had suspension mods (ex. - Lowering springs). Think you may find a few leaking Struts on your ES based on what you described. The ES is a very smooth riding car. So much that I still miss that comfort in the one I had.
The following users liked this post:
Audiobahn20 (07-17-24)
Old 07-15-24, 12:47 PM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Most likely your car was modified and the original 17” were put back in. Look for the evidence of non original strut and springs.
The following users liked this post:
Audiobahn20 (07-17-24)
Old Yesterday, 06:11 AM
spacer46
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Compared to what?

Thanks for the advice, I have a 2013 MY, I am at the 145k mile and my struts are all worn out. The ride started to get much harsher, I am surprised this is not talked about often since many cars on this forum are aged at this point.
Old Today, 09:14 PM
NdYAG
Advanced

Received 189 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by spacer46
Thanks for the advice, I have a 2013 MY, I am at the 145k mile and my struts are all worn out. The ride started to get much harsher, I am surprised this is not talked about often since many cars on this forum are aged at this point.
Maybe it is not talked about because worn out struts do not make the ride harsher?