Shifting Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-24, 11:05 AM
RoninM802
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shifting Help

Hello,

Back in September I purchase a 14 Gs350 which ended up having both head gaskets leaking. Long story short I had it fixed at my local Toyota dealer by a kid who it was his first headgasket replacement. I work for the dealer group so I got the job done for about 60% off. I get my car back and I wont shift into manual. I put it on the lift and my shift cable is welded to my selector rod. They tried telling me I had to pay $900 for a new shifter which wasnt true at all. The manager steps in, adjusts my shift cable and it shifts into manual just fine. It now has a heavy clunks everytime I switch gears. It does it everytime. When I put it in park the shifter jolts, clunks then rests. I tried bringing this issue to toyota and they told me it was my fault. Never had that issue before. I would've brought it to Lexus but my closest dealer is 3 hours away. (They also dropped my exhaust and my check engine light keeps coming on for Cats below threshold :-),) Does anyone have any suggestions or know if the selector rod is easily replaceable?

Thank you so much in advance!
Old 07-14-24, 12:04 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,498 Posts

@RoninM802 :

► 'ended up having both head gaskets leaking...had it fixed at local Toyota dealer by a kid who it was his first head gasket replacement.'
Having leaking head gaskets gives me the thought a previous owner has mistreated (at least) your car's engine, and maybe more. Head gaskets don't typically leak or need replacing.

Is there any indication your GS 350 was tracked or unusually modified, or abused in any way? Just a view from worldwide web cyberspace, I can visualize that being the case!

Did you buy the GS 350 from the Toyota dealer where you work for the auto group or from somewhere else?

Having an inexperienced 'kid' at a Toyota dealership's service department who had never pulled a cylinder head or replaced a head gasket before - replace the head gaskets on your 4GS engine is not a good omen in my opinion...I would have NEVER allowed that to happen!

The shifter rod should be available from Lexus - I presume as the: Gear Shifting Rod Sub-Assembly - confirmed by a Lexus parts department for your Lexus vehicle's VIN#

► 'my shift cable is welded to my selector rod' ◄
Yes, your image certainly looks like it might be welded and maybe even safety wired (i.e. aircraft powerplant assembly standard) instead of the use of a cotter pin. Strange! I can't imagine why that would be...

Possibly a previous owner did something that he thought that welding it would be better to fix it if it was somehow broken or bent, but was it welded in the correct orientation?

Last edited by bclexus; 07-15-24 at 08:04 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 07-14-24, 01:09 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,324 Likes on 1,053 Posts

They would have pulled the motor entirely to do the head gaskets I'm thinking. That shift weld looks like a shinny new and fresh weld. Guessing the angle it was welded at is incorrect off for the arm alignment. When shifting it's ether going over to neutral or under in a not full positive gear.

The Cat light also could be a result of damaged O2 Cat sensors if they removed and/or pulled the wires. Reset the battery, see if they come back. If it;s the Cats try a can of lacquer thinner from walmart in a tank of gas on a 1 hour highway drive and back. If not, you need Cats. Was the threshold light there before they did the work? If not they could have gotten debris dropped in the exhaust manifolds that fell down in clogging the Cats.
Old 07-14-24, 01:45 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jgscott
They would have pulled the motor entirely to do the head gaskets I'm thinking. That shift weld looks like a shinny new and fresh weld. Guessing the angle it was welded at is incorrect off for the arm alignment. When shifting it's ether going over to neutral or under in a not full positive gear.

The Cat light also could be a result of damaged O2 Cat sensors if they removed and/or pulled the wires. Reset the battery, see if they come back. If it;s the Cats try a can of lacquer thinner from walmart in a tank of gas on a 1 hour highway drive and back. If not, you need Cats. Was the threshold light there before they did the work? If not they could have gotten debris dropped in the exhaust manifolds that fell down in clogging the Cats.
That's a one for me! What's the purpose of putting a can of lacquer thinner in the gas tank and taking a long drive?

Is the drive 1 hour total, or 1 hour out and then 1 hour back for a total of two hours?

What size can of lacquer thinner - a quart can or a gallon can?

Does the lacquer thinner have to come from Walmart because it is special in some way?

This is kind of exciting to see how it works out! I think...

Last edited by bclexus; 07-14-24 at 06:11 PM. Reason: orthography
Old 07-14-24, 07:15 PM
jgscott
Lexus Champion

Received 1,324 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Everything you are asking was already explained. If you disagree with it I'm fine with that. Thanks.
Old 07-15-24, 05:26 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Everything you are asking was already explained. If you disagree with it I'm fine with that. Thanks.
I have just never heard of putting lacquer thinner in the gasoline tank of a vehicle before.

I think lacquer thinner contains acetic acid, which eats metal and causes metal surface corrosion over-time.

Maybe the short period of time the lacquer thinner is mixed with the gasoline, it doesn't present a problem.

Call me leery - I wouldn't think lacquer thinner is safe for materials like rubber, nylon and plastic which is likely used in various components like
fuel lines, injectors, sensors or filters within the vehicle's fuel system.

Tell me more about this, please.

Last edited by bclexus; 07-15-24 at 06:27 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 07-15-24, 06:37 AM
RoninM802
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
@RoninM802 :

Having leaking head gaskets gives me the thought a previous owner has mistreated (at least) your car's engine, and maybe more. Head gaskets don't typically leak or need replacing.

Is there any indication your GS 350 was tracked or unusually modified, or abused in any way? Just a view from worldwide web cyberspace, I can visualize that being the case!

Did you buy the GS 350 from the Toyota dealer where you work for the auto group or from somewhere else?

Having an inexperienced 'kid' at a Toyota dealership's service department who had never pulled a cylinder head or replaced a head gasket before - replace the head gaskets on your 4GS engine is not a good omen in my opinion...I would have NEVER allowed that to happen!

The shifter rod should be available from Lexus - I presume as the: Gear Shifting Rod Sub-Assembly - confirmed by a Lexus parts department for your Lexus vehicle's VIN#

Yes, your image certainly looks like it might be welded and maybe even safety wired (i.e. aircraft powerplant assembly standard) instead of the use of a cotter pin. Strange! I can't imagine why that would be...

Possibly a previous owner did something that he thought welding it would be better to weld it, but was it welded in the correct orientation?

I sadly didnt buy it from the auto group I work for. I ended up buying it out of state at a used car dealer. I did some prior research and was used as a company car mainly which should have been my first red flag. When toyota was doing the work on my car they wouldn't tell me anything. I asked for my car back and they told me it would be done that day and a week later I got my car back. I just kept getting excuses after excuses and they wouldn't even let me see my car or the progress. It sucks because I had a 17 Is before this car but it got flooded last July and now this headache.

Old 07-15-24, 07:55 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I did some prior research and was used as a company car mainly which should have been my first red flag.
Generally there is nothing bad or negative about a vehicle being designated or used as a 'company car' (your reference to it being a 'red flag').

That classification should not cast the vehicle any differently than any other vehicle that is privately owned or leased by a 85 year-old grandmother to drive to church and the grocery store twice a week. Not to say any vehicle classified as a 'company car' couldn't be used for literally anything - including being tracked on a daily basis or being highly modified for the weekly car show event at the local shopping center parking lot.

I am very leery of why the head gaskets needed to be replaced and who did the work. Also, how the Toyota dealer seemed to not want to reveal certain factors...
Old Today, 08:19 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bclexus
I have just never heard of putting lacquer thinner in the gasoline tank of a vehicle before.

I think lacquer thinner contains acetic acid, which eats metal and causes metal surface corrosion over-time.

Maybe the short period of time the lacquer thinner is mixed with the gasoline, it doesn't present a problem.

Call me leery - I wouldn't think lacquer thinner is safe for materials like rubber, nylon and plastic which is likely used in various components like
fuel lines, injectors, sensors or filters within the vehicle's fuel system.

Tell me more about this, please.
Have you ever added a can of lacquer thinner to your gasoline?