ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

2004 ES 330 - no low beams or fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-24, 05:15 PM
kxlara
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 ES 330 - no low beams or fog lights

Hello all,

I'm brand new to the group and just 'acquired' a 2004 ES330 from my mom as she can no longer drive. It needed valve cover gaskets, so I changed those out and I can't see how that would have anything to do with this problem, but I thought that I'd mention it.

The issue is that the low beams and the fog lights don't work. The green lights come on the dash as if they are working, but they don't turn on. the DRL's work, the tail lights and side markers come on, but no headlights or fogs.

I checked the fuses and all looked good, but I need some guidance on other items that I might want to check.

Any help would be appreciated!

Old Yesterday, 03:03 AM
HydroDog
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

The DRL’s run off the high beams. Since you just got the car, who knows they might didn’t work before you got it.

Pull the fog light bulbs and check to see if they are burned out and the same with the headlight bulbs.
Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM
kxlara
3rd Gear

Pulled one headlight and one fog light - both look fine. I would find it odd that all 4 lights would be out. Possibly a relay?

Thanks for any/all input.
Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM
Arsenii
Pole Position

Received 793 Likes on 665 Posts

Hello,

Did those ever work since you acquired the car?

Here is a Fuse Diagram for your car, those have a separate fuse for each Headlight, and the Fog Light Relay is powered from the Driver (Left) Headlight Fuse, which would explain why those won't come on either. Get a Test Light, connect one end to Ground, then use the other to probe each exposed Terminal on Top of the Fuse - if the light will come on for Both terminals, the fuse is intact and the problem is downstream from the fuse, if only One terminal will light up the bulb, the fuse is blown, if the Bulb won't turn on for Any of the terminals, the fuse is not getting powered, then you will need to check the Headlight Relay.

Hope this helps and best of luck!
Old Today, 04:25 AM
kxlara
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Arsenii
Hello,

Did those ever work since you acquired the car?

Here is a Fuse Diagram for your car, those have a separate fuse for each Headlight, and the Fog Light Relay is powered from the Driver (Left) Headlight Fuse, which would explain why those won't come on either. Get a Test Light, connect one end to Ground, then use the other to probe each exposed Terminal on Top of the Fuse - if the light will come on for Both terminals, the fuse is intact and the problem is downstream from the fuse, if only One terminal will light up the bulb, the fuse is blown, if the Bulb won't turn on for Any of the terminals, the fuse is not getting powered, then you will need to check the Headlight Relay.

Hope this helps and best of luck!

Thank you. I'll give this a shot. They did work when my mom had the car, but it sat for quite some time, so I'm not sure when they last worked.