IS F (2008-2014) Discussion topics related to the IS F model

2008 JDM Import IS-F won't start

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:27 PM
CooperD
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 JDM Import IS-F won't start

Hey all, have run into an issue with my IS-F this morning, which is essentially the same as the video below.

I changed my taillights out for a set of VLAND lights last night, and mistakenly tried testing them out while the engine wasn't running and built a lot of pressure up in the brake lines to the point the brake is incredibly stiff to push.
My brake lights work fine (this is no longer the case 12 hours later - also getting a VSC System Check Error), however the car does not recognise that I'm pushing on the brake to start the car.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? I have tried pushing down hard on the brake to start the car, tried jumping the car, disconnecting the battery, putting the old taillights in to no avail.
Is this a brake switch or pressure sensor? What part number would I be looking at?

Last edited by CooperD; Today at 03:28 PM.
Old Yesterday, 09:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,957 Likes on 2,396 Posts

Does the ignition ever go green? No green, no start. Ever.
The following users liked this post:
CooperD (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM
CooperD
4th Gear

It hasn't gone green at all today. No issues starting it prior to installing the taillights and testing them (without the car being on) yesterday.

Last edited by CooperD; Today at 01:20 PM.
Old Today, 06:32 AM
93MSB
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 102 Posts

It sounds like something isn't wired up properly or possibly a fuse, tail lights and brake pedal are linked. I would swap the taillights back to oem to see if the car at least starts.

whats involved with the installation of the vlands? any repinning? I kinda doubt the JDM ISF's wiring harnesses are the exact same as a US spec
Old Today, 08:03 AM
Gerf
Racer

Received 789 Likes on 587 Posts

Try this if you want, push the start button once without stepping on the brake and give it a few minutes then still without stepping on the brake push and hold the start button for about 15-30 seconds and see what happens.
Old Today, 01:19 PM
CooperD
4th Gear

Originally Posted by 93MSB
It sounds like something isn't wired up properly or possibly a fuse, tail lights and brake pedal are linked. I would swap the taillights back to oem to see if the car at least starts.

whats involved with the installation of the vlands? any repinning? I kinda doubt the JDM ISF's wiring harnesses are the exact same as a US spec
I don’t recall seeing any blown fuses, though I’ll have to recheck every fuse today. OEM lights did not help the case unfortunately. VLAND’s are a simple plug and play, no repinning. All accessories work fine, the car just doesn’t recognise the brake pedal being pressed.
Old Today, 01:49 PM
CooperD
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Gerf
Try this if you want, push the start button once without stepping on the brake and give it a few minutes then still without stepping on the brake push and hold the start button for about 15-30 seconds and see what happens.
No such luck, Lobuxracer is correct, if the start button doesn’t go green the car has no chance of starting.

I am now getting a VSC warning on the dash, as well as the “press brake to start engine” warning. Battery appears to be a bit low on charge, trickle charging didn’t seem to do much. Hoping it’s just a battery, but seems like it could be more.