Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

These Lexus Models Are Among the Slowest-Selling Vehicles Right Now

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-24, 02:38 PM
Curated Content Editor
CL Editor

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts
Default These Lexus Models Are Among the Slowest-Selling Vehicles Right Now

These Lexus Models Are Among the Slowest-Selling Vehicles Right Now
By Brett Foote

Even as the luxury brand continues to set new sales records.

Old 07-15-24, 04:42 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

Most stuff Lexus sells these days is premium tier, the slow sellers are the luxury tier products they still make.
Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

This just proves that people still do not associate lexus with performance in any breath. When most people see something that looks like the RC or LC they are expecting something with ***** out performance, and you just don't get that relative to the german competition, which is where the buyers all end up.
Old Yesterday, 10:56 AM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
This just proves that people still do not associate lexus with performance in any breath. When most people see something that looks like the RC or LC they are expecting something with ***** out performance, and you just don't get that relative to the german competition, which is where the buyers all end up.
Two-door buyers aren't looking at the German offerings either, Mercedes drastically shaved down their lineup to two models and with the announcement of the new A5, Audi doesn't even have a two-door for sale anymore. This is already a niche segment that will keep getting even more niche as SUV's consume everything.
Old Yesterday, 11:14 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Motorola
Two-door buyers aren't looking at the German offerings either, Mercedes drastically shaved down their lineup to two models and with the announcement of the new A5, Audi doesn't even have a two-door for sale anymore. This is already a niche segment that will keep getting even more niche as SUV's consume everything.
From what I've seen and heard, the LC cross-shoppers end up with BMW 8-series (maybe M4C) or Porsche 718/911 -- or more recently, C8. Some of them end up in the AMG-GT. I agree Audi doesn't have anything in the segment at all (and never really did, the S5 is not really in the same class. Would be more of an RCF cross shop, or 440i). The competition is fierce in the LC segment and all of those models have superior outright performance, which is what draws most buyers in this demo.

The LC is not for everyone and that shows in its sales figures. The RC is more of a mystery to me because at it's price point it should move more units, which leads me back to my original conclusion of Lexus not being generally known for what buyers want (or at least think they want).

Last edited by np20412; Yesterday at 11:22 AM.
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by np20412
From what I've seen and heard, the LC cross-shoppers end up with BMW 8-series (maybe M4C) or Porsche 718/911 -- or more recently, C8. Some of them end up in the AMG-GT. I agree Audi doesn't have anything in the segment at all (and never really did, the S5 is not really in the same class. Would be more of an RCF cross shop, or 440i). The competition is fierce in the LC segment and all of those models have superior outright performance, which is what draws most buyers in this demo.

The LC is not for everyone and that shows in its sales figures. The RC is more of a mystery to me because at it's price point it should move more units, which leads me back to my original conclusion of Lexus not being generally known for what buyers want (or at least think they want).
The 8 Series is a perfect example of what I meant about coupes not selling. And the rumor mill is that it and the 4 Series are both on their way out along with the Z4. It's a miracle that the LC exists at all given Toyota's current management of Lexus.
Old Yesterday, 12:14 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Motorola
The 8 Series is a perfect example of what I meant about coupes not selling. And the rumor mill is that it and the 4 Series are both on their way out along with the Z4. It's a miracle that the LC exists at all given Toyota's current management of Lexus.
Agreed and I've seen heavy discounts on 8 series at my local dealer.
I've heard rumblings of BMW bringing back the 6, which would seem contrary to the moves being made by automakers in general in phasing out coupes but perhaps it'll be one coupe series to replace the 8/4 coupes. Remains to be confirmed though.
Old Today, 05:32 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Somehow Toyota is coming out with the MR2 and Celica revival. Maybe those will be limited production models.
Old Today, 06:08 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Most stuff Lexus sells these days is premium tier, the slow sellers are the luxury tier products they still make.
Correct, this is the reality of going downmarket. I think to an extent it applies to BMW as well. It feels like the i8, the M SUV thing, or the 8 series has not been able to move the needle much.
Old Today, 06:11 PM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by situman
Somehow Toyota is coming out with the MR2 and Celica revival. Maybe those will be limited production models.
Honda with the prelude as well