GS - 3rd Gen (2006-2011) Discussion about the 2006+ model GS300, GS350, GS430, GS450H and GS460

Is it possible to adjust low headlights via the suspension height sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-24, 10:52 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 374 Likes on 325 Posts
Default Is it possible to adjust low headlights via the suspension height sensor?

2009 GS350 awd - it has almost dangerously low, low-beam headlights; the owner (family member) is really scared to drive it at night. Would adjusting the suspension-linked height sensor impact this? The headlight assembly adjusters are at maximum up elevation.

I was replacing shocks, mounts, sway bar links and bushings on the car this weekend. I noticed the height sensor on the left side control arm. I found references elsewhere about adjusting headlight aim via this sensor linkage, but nothing explicit. Is it possible? There is a wide cut-out for adjustment it appears, but the nut on the back of the linkage joint (red arrow) is knurled and does not seem to be designed for easy adjustment. It’s not possible to get at it while on the ground, so it would have to be lifted, adjusted, dropped to then checked, etc.

She would be thrilled if I could do this.

Current relative position of the linkage, left rear wheel. From rear of car looking forward, just above the lower control arm:

Old 07-15-24, 11:42 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 779 Likes on 672 Posts

Theres beam adjusters in the back of each headlight. Park the car on a level surface infront of a wall. There should be youtube videos show which adjusters.
Old 07-15-24, 11:45 PM
Oro
Racer

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Theres beam adjusters in the back of each headlight. Park the car on a level surface infront of a wall. There should be youtube videos show which adjusters.
They are set at max elevation, as mentioned. Low beams are still dangerously low. No damage to vehicle; everything is stock. I’ve seen others complain of this same issue.
Old 07-15-24, 11:51 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 779 Likes on 672 Posts

You have 3 adjustments if im not mistaken, they all turn the light, did you adjust all three or just the top adjuster? Also check the servo for the AFS make sure its working and adjusting the headlights aim properly on start up.

You can polish your lenses if they are yellowed, this will increase lighting. If still not enough you can purchase brighter xenon bulbs.
Old 07-16-24, 12:00 AM
Oro
Racer

Originally Posted by ibidu1
You have 3 adjustments if im not mistaken, they all turn the light, did you adjust all three or just the top adjuster? Also check the servo for the AFS make sure its working and adjusting the headlights aim properly on start up.

You can polish your lenses if they are yellowed, this will increase lighting. If still not enough you can purchase brighter xenon bulbs.
Definitely not a bulb or yellowing issue, it’s the aim.

I will double check the servos again, also I recall two adjusters and not three. An independent mechanic also looked at this a while back and found nothing wrong, but still too low. Maybe he missed something and I didn’t pursue it hard enough. Thanks, I will look into the assembly up front again. I won’t see the car again for two weeks, but after that I will have it for a full week or more myself, and finish some other work and maintenance I want to do for her.
Old 07-16-24, 09:18 PM
skur
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Oro
Definitely not a bulb or yellowing issue, it’s the aim.

I will double check the servos again, also I recall two adjusters and not three. An independent mechanic also looked at this a while back and found nothing wrong, but still too low. Maybe he missed something and I didn’t pursue it hard enough. Thanks, I will look into the assembly up front again. I won’t see the car again for two weeks, but after that I will have it for a full week or more myself, and finish some other work and maintenance I want to do for her.
The only thing I can think of is one of the hooks for the bulb came loose. I'm sure you know but there's 2 latches that keep the bulb in place, when I was installing mine I had to redo it 3 times until the latches finally locked up the correct way. It was annoyingly tricky to get right, when one of them wasn't latched correctly the bulb wouldn't point straight, it was either up or down.
Old 07-16-24, 11:41 PM
Oro
Racer

Originally Posted by skur
The only thing I can think of is one of the hooks for the bulb came loose. I'm sure you know but there's 2 latches that keep the bulb in place, when I was installing mine I had to redo it 3 times until the latches finally locked up the correct way. It was annoyingly tricky to get right, when one of them wasn't latched correctly the bulb wouldn't point straight, it was either up or down.
Nope, don’t know those details.

Thanks for the input. I’m going to tear into this in mid-August; this may help. I’m clueless at this point.

I’m a skilled mechanic (very skilled), but there is stuff we do not know! Thank you.