GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

P1300 on 2002 GS300

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:23 PM
BorderGuy
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Unhappy P1300 on 2002 GS300

On a 109 degree day the car began running a little rough and finally going down I-19 at 65mph it stopped running. I restarted it as it was coasting, it ran a couple of seconds and stopped again. Started it one more time while it was coasting, ran a couple seconds at most and stopped again. Of course, this was rush hour and as I'm slowing down I'm able to coast up an exit and before I'm fully on the cross street, I stop the car and call a tow truck, first time in 70 years of car ownership that I need a tow. Nearest garage is a Midas shop and I get there about 5:00pm. They're open until 6 and they can't determine anything at once, but without saying why, they suspect packrats. I get a ride home, 60 miles away and call them the next day. They can't tell me anything because their diagnostician isn't working that day. The following day they call and tell me somewhere between $1200 - $1800. When I ask them why so much, they tell me that they might even have to replace an intake manifold gasket. I'm not confident they know what they're doing and I have the car towed 60 miles to my house. I decide to replace the sparkplug wires and the ignition coils and inspect the wiring feeding the coils for critter damage. I don't replace the sparkplugs because they have only about 3,000 miles on them. I get the car to start, but again it only runs for a few seconds. With my scanner, also confirmed with my neighbor's scanner there is only a P1300 code. What that suggests is the need to replace the ignition igniter - $672 + tax and shipping. I read some of the P1300 threads on this site and I don't get a warm fuzzy about spending $700 for something that may or may not solve the problem. So I buy a used, tested OEM part from eBay for $24, install it and the car starts and runs. I clear the code, start it again, scan it, and no code! The following day I head off to a Dr's appointment get about 6 miles and things don't feel quite right, but it keeps running. Go a total of 14 miles and it stops running. As before, I restart and it runs a couple of seconds and quits. I coast into an AutoZone, they come out with their scanner and the P1300 is back. My first thought is to buy a non OEM ignition igniter from them for $360, but after sleeping on that idea, I'm not so sure that will solve anything. So I decide to have it towed back to my house. The tow truck comes and I am able to start the car, back out of the parking spot and the tow truck driver is able to drive it up onto the flat bed. We get to my house he is able to back it off the tow truck and drive it into my garage.

I did observe at AutoZone when I first coasted in there that the ignition igniter was hot and today after it was parked in the garage the ignition igniter was pretty warm. Don't know if that's got anything to do with the problem.

Unless the underlying problem is as simple as a bad relay, I don't see myself as having the ability to sort this out. Besides a Lexus dealer, are there any recommendations for a competent Lexus technician in the Tucson area?

Any help will be appreciated!
Old Today, 07:04 AM
JonGS3
Intermediate

Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

I'm not familiar with that code but hopefully these will help:

FSM troubleshooting section: https://charm.li/Lexus/2002/GS%20300...0Charts/P1300/

And this guy with a 4Runner and the same code traced the issue to his ECU: https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...p1300-cel.html