GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus GS450H spring rates

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-24, 12:16 AM
glocke
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus GS450H spring rates

Hi, I'm tossing up between a GS450H F sport or standard. I understand there are some suspension differences as well as the rear steering mechanism. Are the actual spring rates the same? I want to know if I get a standard GS450 if bolting on some 19s will go some way to replicating the F sport handling, or if the F sport actually has stiffer springs too. (F sports hard to come by in New Zealand) Thanks!

Old 07-17-24, 06:29 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Originally Posted by glocke
Hi, I'm tossing up between a GS450H F sport or standard. I understand there are some suspension differences as well as the rear steering mechanism. Are the actual spring rates the same? I want to know if I get a standard GS450 if bolting on some 19s will go some way to replicating the F sport handling, or if the F sport actually has stiffer springs too. (F sports hard to come by in New Zealand) Thanks!

The information in this AVS Shock Database may help you get started in the right direction for the spring rate information you seek.

I hope it helps you!
The following users liked this post:
Im2bz2p345 (07-17-24)
Old 07-17-24, 11:05 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 483 Likes on 320 Posts

The base, Luxury and F Sport GS450h's all use the exact same coil springs and anti roll bars part numbers.
The base uses non-AVS shock absorbers, while the Luxury and F Sport use the exact same AVS shock absorbers. The Luxury and F Sport have different software mapping in their suspension ECU's on Sport+ Mode.

The non-AVS shock absorbers of the base model GS450h feels very firm and tied down, if my memory is correct.
The AVS shock absorbers of the Luxury and F Sport are softer and more comfortable on Normal Mode; on Sport+ Mode, the Luxury trim does firm up, but F Sport becomes much more firm and tied down than the Luxury trim due to software mapping.

Last edited by peteharvey; 07-17-24 at 11:22 AM.
Im2bz2p345 (07-17-24)
Old 07-17-24, 12:36 PM
glocke
6th Gear

Originally Posted by bclexus
The information in this AVS Shock Database may help you get started in the right direction for the spring rate information you seek.

I hope it helps you!
Thanks!.. that is real helpful.. I see since there isn't a second column for F Sport versions that the F sport most likely uses all the same parts but the AVS shocks are just mapped differently. And the handling improvements are as a result of that along with the wheels, rear wheel steering and variable ratio steering. Interesting the 2012 RWD which I assume is the GS350 has all the same parts too except for the rear shocks. I thought the extra weight of the GS450H would mean at least resetting ride heights. I'd have to assume that almost all of the extra weight is in the rear then, and the different shock seats the spring higher up. Or maybe there is slight variation in the shock or suspension mount points. The extra 200kg of a GS450H over a GS350 would make it ride a bit softer with the same spring rate springs though. Possibly again this is all compensated for in the AVS shock mapping. Thanks again, super helpful.
Old 07-17-24, 12:45 PM
glocke
6th Gear

Wow great info Pete. Thanks heaps. Interesting about the base model having non AVS shocks. It could actually be a good option as far as long term reliability, and I find the turn in of the luxury a bit weaker than I'd like. (In New Zealand we have lots of country winding roads). We don't seem to get many base models here though, all luxury with a few F sport. Apart from the expense of replacing AVS shocks, there seems to be some work required to calibrate them correctly, and there can easily be a faulty G sensor somewhere that upsets it all anyway.

Old 07-17-24, 12:47 PM
glocke
6th Gear

Originally Posted by peteharvey
The base, Luxury and F Sport GS450h's all use the exact same coil springs and anti roll bars part numbers.
The base uses non-AVS shock absorbers, while the Luxury and F Sport use the exact same AVS shock absorbers. The Luxury and F Sport have different software mapping in their suspension ECU's on Sport+ Mode.

The non-AVS shock absorbers of the base model GS450h feels very firm and tied down, if my memory is correct.
The AVS shock absorbers of the Luxury and F Sport are softer and more comfortable on Normal Mode; on Sport+ Mode, the Luxury trim does firm up, but F Sport becomes much more firm and tied down than the Luxury trim due to software mapping.
Wow great info Pete. Thanks heaps. Interesting about the base model having non AVS shocks. It could actually be a good option as far as long term reliability, and I find the turn in of the luxury a bit weaker than I'd like. (In New Zealand we have lots of country winding roads). We don't seem to get many base models here though, all luxury with a few F sport. Apart from the expense of replacing AVS shocks, there seems to be some work required to calibrate them correctly, and there can easily be a faulty G sensor somewhere that upsets it all anyway.

Many thanks for that.

Old 07-17-24, 12:50 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by glocke
Thanks!.. that is real helpful.. I see since there isn't a second column for F Sport versions that the F sport most likely uses all the same parts but the AVS shocks are just mapped differently. And the handling improvements are as a result of that along with the wheels, rear wheel steering and variable ratio steering. Interesting the 2012 RWD which I assume is the GS350 has all the same parts too except for the rear shocks. I thought the extra weight of the GS450H would mean at least resetting ride heights. I'd have to assume that almost all of the extra weight is in the rear then, and the different shock seats the spring higher up. Or maybe there is slight variation in the shock or suspension mount points. The extra 200kg of a GS450H over a GS350 would make it ride a bit softer with the same spring rate springs though. Possibly again this is all compensated for in the AVS shock mapping. Thanks again, super helpful.
Also note that GS350 RWD and GS450h hybrid use totally different part numbers for coil springs and shock absorbers.
In the end, the hybrid feels softer and more comfortable than the 350 RWD.
Old 07-17-24, 12:52 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

My 2018 GS 450h is not a F-Sport. My GS 450h in Sport+ mode is very firm - as firm as a GS 350 F-Sport in Sport+ as best as I can remember. I did not want to deal with 2-piece rotors or squealing front brakes of the F-Sport, but I did want AVS so it's perfect - a '18 loaded GS 450h without the F-Sport badge.

Last edited by bclexus; 07-17-24 at 04:30 PM. Reason: orthography
peteharvey (07-17-24)
Old 07-17-24, 01:06 PM
glocke
6th Gear

Also note that GS350 RWD and GS450h hybrid use totally different part numbers for coil springs and shock absorbers.
In the end, the hybrid feels softer and more comfortable than the 350 RWD.
Ah yeah, I see now, different numbers yep. Makes sense. I drove a GS350 early on but have forgotten how it felt. The GS450h is certainly quite soft in normal mode.

Old 07-17-24, 01:12 PM
glocke
6th Gear

My 2018 GS 450h is not a F-Sport. My GS 450h in Sport+ mode is very firm - as firm as a GS 350 F-Sport in Sport+ as best as I can remember. I did not want to deal with 2-piece rotors or squealing front brakes of the F-Sport, but I did want AVS so it's perfect - a '18 loaded GS 450h without the F-Sport badge.
Excellent, that is where I am heading as an option. I am concerned too about another expensive steering rack in the rear that could need replacing sometime. Most of the corners on the roads where I like to drive spirited are at around 80 to 100kph, (50 to 60mph) so from the specs I see the rear wheel steering doesn't do a lot at those speeds.

I also think the front bumper of the F sport is a little overdone, and the car really needs lowering and wheels that are more offset outwards to get the visual balance right. Then it would look great. But otherwise in standard from the non F Sport bumpers integrate better with the car, especially on 18s. Just my thoughts though.
bclexus (07-17-24)
Old 07-17-24, 05:33 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Just out of interest bc, is yours' a luxury trim with standard AVS, or is it the base model fully optioned with AVS?
Roughly what year and what month was the Luxury trim discontinued?
Old 07-17-24, 05:59 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Just out of interest bc, is yours' a luxury trim with standard AVS, or is it the base model fully optioned with AVS?
Roughly what year and what month was the Luxury trim discontinued?
No Luxury package - It wasn't available in 2018 according to the 2018 Lexus GS Model Brochure.

I don't recall when/if luxury trim for the GS 450h was ever even available or when it was discontinued. I think my 2018 GS 450h is defined as a 2018 GS 450h non-F-Sport that is fully optioned (less HUD) with AVS as standard equipment.

Mine has these features/options, some of which may have been optional with an added cost:

3M Paint Protection Film (Probably optional with added cost)

G4 Illuminated Door Sills (Probably optional with added cost)

LR Rear Spoiler (Probably optional with added cost, but I don't know about this one)

Z2 Accy Pkg - Trunk Mat, Net, Locks, Bumper App, 2 Key Fob Gloves (I'm guessing probably standard with the GS 450h)

ML Mark Levinson Sound System (Probably optional with added cost but I don't know about this one)

LKA Lane-Keep-Assist (I'm guessing probably standard with the GS 450h)

LDA Lane-Departure-Alert (I'm guessing probably standard with the GS 450h)

All-Speed Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (I'm guessing probably standard on 2018 GS)

OT One-Touch Power Trunk (I'm guessing probably standard on 2018 GS)

UJ Gray Sapele with Aluminum Wood Interior Trim (Probably optional with added cost)

V2 Glass Breakage Sensor - GBS (Probably optional with added cost)

Last edited by bclexus; 07-19-24 at 06:03 AM. Reason: orthography
Old 07-18-24, 08:19 PM
amc83
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

No Lux trim - I don't recall when/if luxury trim for the GS 450h was ever even available or was discontinued. I guess my GS 450 would better be defined as a 2018 GS 450h non-F-Sport that is fully optioned (less HUD) with AVS as standard equipment.
Is the lux trim the same as the lux package? My 2014 has it, but don’t know if/when it was discountinued in later model years.
Old 07-19-24, 05:41 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by amc83
Is the lux trim the same as the lux package? My 2014 has it, but don’t know if/when it was discountinued in later model years.
2014 Lexus GS Model Brochure Packages (Packages, Key Standard Features, Individual Options & Wheels)