LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

Eliminating run flat tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-24, 07:49 AM
GSENT
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Eliminating run flat tires

Looking to eliminate the run flat tires and install Michelins. Has anyone found a spare tire and wheel, preferably a donut size for a spare that will fit? I am looking at a kit from modernspare.com but other alternatives are welcome. Thanks in advance for your comments.
Old 07-17-24, 10:39 AM
PGA71
Advanced

Received 409 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by GSENT
Looking to eliminate the run flat tires and install Michelins. Has anyone found a spare tire and wheel, preferably a donut size for a spare that will fit? I am looking at a kit from modernspare.com but other alternatives are welcome. Thanks in advance for your comments.
I bought the modern spare kit as well but from Amazon.

Here is how it looks in the trunk

Last edited by PGA71; 07-17-24 at 04:52 PM.
The following users liked this post:
GSENT (08-04-24)
Old 08-02-24, 07:09 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Received 315 Likes on 196 Posts

Eats up more space than I would have thought. I did this with my last 5 series and survived.
I do fill my trunk up going to beach house these days. Not sure what to do.
My runflats are toast at 43k miles. The tires were on it at 28k when I bought the car and not sure how many miles were on the tires when I got them.
The camber really ate the interior of the tires. They are getting nosier now also.
Quiettracks are not easy to find. Costco don't have them, My tire company I like can't get them, Mavis can't get them. Tire Track has them and my trusted people said they'd mount them.
Car at dealer getting Oil change and spark Plugs. Quoted me about $450 for the plugs........
They quoted me $1800 for Michelin Run Flats, with a warning I likely won't get 25k from them. Fair enough. I know I won't get 50k from Quiettracks on this heavy beast, but I'd like to get 45k!!!
80? I never got more than 38k from a set of tires in my life!!
Second option is Michelin Primacy which I had on my GS and were wearing wonderfully when I sold that care with 25k on it. Crossclimate are available which I have on wifes audi.

Discount tire has the Quiet tracks. They just built a brand new Mavis right next to one of my offices! Hate I can't use them or my trusted tire dudes I have for last 25 years.
Old 08-03-24, 03:43 AM
sajack
Advanced

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Default What, no spare?

I went with Slime inflator/sealer which I hope to never use. We travel with two suitcases, Yeti, folding soft dog crate, and wife’s stuff, all in the trunk. It’s a tight fit. I should have a picture.
Bleu Frenchie takes up the back seat. We have one of those padded ‘hammock’ arrangements that loops over all 4 headrests. It works perfectly. Only other solution would be to put Bleu in front passenger seat, but 5’-1” wife says she can’t see out of the back seat.
We absolutely could not possibly do this with a smaller sedan.
Old 08-03-24, 07:41 AM
Bigoofy
9th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you've got 20" wheels? Any issues with the lower sidewall height and tire damage? Was thinking about changing to 19" but the selection is significantly less at this size.
Old 08-03-24, 08:44 AM
sajack
Advanced

Originally Posted by Bigoofy
you've got 20" wheels? Any issues with the lower sidewall height and tire damage? Was thinking about changing to 19" but the selection is significantly less at this size.
Yes, this is a long wheelbase car and very easy to clip curbs with on right turns. I haven’t torn up tires, but curb rash on the rims is almost inevitable.
I realize the 19s don’t look as cool and probably don’t handle as well, but I almost wish I had them.
Old 08-04-24, 05:57 AM
Lubo2021
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by GSENT
I've been told I can't change my RFT or I will lose my warranty 🙊
Old 08-04-24, 07:20 AM
sajack
Advanced

Default LS500 Runflats

Originally Posted by Lubo2021
LS500 owner’s manual plainly states that you can run regular tires in place of the runflats. I say “plainly states”, you have to look for it. The owner’s manual seems needlessly verbose. There is too much information scattered all over the place. Wonder who writes this stuff?

Last edited by sajack; 08-04-24 at 07:37 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by sajack:
GSENT (08-04-24), Lubo2021 (08-05-24), TomC207 (Yesterday)
Old 08-04-24, 08:10 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Ordered a modern spare and will also get the slime kit. Overkill? Maybe bit If I need the trunk I have choices.
Majority of the time a flat will occur in my driveway or at office and perhaps I don't have to deal with anyone cleaning out the slime when doing a repair?

Got the Quiet tracks and will be doing the alignment this week.
Drove around town yesterday and car for sure feels more like when the runflats were new. I had worn down my RFT's pretty good and my take is a new tire is always an improvement. Perhaps PGA71 having replaced near new RFT's can speak to the contrast better than most.
Im not disappointed but perhaps had my expectations to near transformative experience was not initially there.
For sure its quieter and "composed" as a proper luxury car should be.
Appreciate all the info from you guys who did this before me.
The following users liked this post:
GSENT (08-04-24)
Old 08-04-24, 08:13 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Originally Posted by sajack
LS500 owner’s manual plainly states that you can run regular tires in place of the runflats. I say “plainly states”, you have to look for it. The owner’s manual seems needlessly verbose. There is too much information scattered all over the place. Wonder who writes this stuff?
Engineers than edited/proofed by Lawyers.
If they wanted to see weight they could start with the Manual?
The following 2 users liked this post by Nalod:
GSENT (08-04-24), RocketJohn (08-04-24)
Old 08-04-24, 08:21 AM
Nalod
Advanced

Originally Posted by Lubo2021
Your in a different market and that might be true?
From whom tells you? Dealer service? Might be correct, but that person might be wrong.
Would Air suspension calibration matter? If Non-RFT is 3lbs lighter.
Old 08-04-24, 11:29 AM
RocketJohn
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nalod
Engineers than edited/proofed by Lawyers.
If they wanted to see weight they could start with the Manual?
probably originally written in Japanese too
Old 08-04-24, 03:34 PM
PGA71
Advanced

Received 409 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by Nalod
Ordered a modern spare and will also get the slime kit. Overkill? Maybe bit If I need the trunk I have choices.
Majority of the time a flat will occur in my driveway or at office and perhaps I don't have to deal with anyone cleaning out the slime when doing a repair?

Got the Quiet tracks and will be doing the alignment this week.
Drove around town yesterday and car for sure feels more like when the runflats were new. I had worn down my RFT's pretty good and my take is a new tire is always an improvement. Perhaps PGA71 having replaced near new RFT's can speak to the contrast better than most.
Im not disappointed but perhaps had my expectations to near transformative experience was not initially there.
For sure its quieter and "composed" as a proper luxury car should be.
Appreciate all the info from you guys who did this before me.
I think you will find as the tire breaks in a little it will ride even nicer.
At first, my mileage per gallon went down a little but it has since gotten better than the RFTs.
I have near 20K miles on the Quiet tracks, they are wearing well and believe they run better now than when first put on.
You won't be disappointed.

Old 08-04-24, 04:05 PM
GSENT
10th Gear

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

UPDATE I ordered the modern spare tire and accessories, what a great product. Replaced the Briggstones with Michelin cross climate II's. Ride is much softer. Dealer verified that there will be no warranty issues. I am selling the Briggstone Turanza tires if anyone is interested.
Old 08-05-24, 02:58 AM
Lubo2021
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks for the helpful reply.Though I already put a new RFT 🤷‍♂️

Quick Reply: Eliminating run flat tires