LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Transmission only works in reverse - mechanical total?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-24, 03:32 PM
richgeiger
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission only works in reverse - mechanical total?

Hello friends! We have a 2004 Lexus LS430 with 182K miles that we have owned for 13 years. The car still looks new and starts and runs great; however, the transmission will now only work in reverse. The car is in really nice shape but a rebuilt transmission is about 7K. Is the car mechanically totaled? We have an offer to buy the car "as-is" for $1,200.00 and we are thinking about accepting as I am not mechanically-inclined anymore due to my age. The transmission had been working perfectly prior to this new problem. Should I cut my losses? I very much appreciate any advice. I did check YouTube and there was content about replacing a transmission solenoid. If I plug a diagnostic device into the computer will it tell me if the solenoid is the problem? Could this be associated with a low transmission fluid level? Thank you for your thoughts and kind advice!

Last edited by richgeiger; 07-17-24 at 03:40 PM.
Old 07-17-24, 04:07 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 277 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by richgeiger
Hello friends! We have a 2004 Lexus LS430 with 182K miles that we have owned for 13 years. The car still looks new and starts and runs great; however, the transmission will now only work in reverse. The car is in really nice shape but a rebuilt transmission is about 7K. Is the car mechanically totaled? We have an offer to buy the car "as-is" for $1,200.00 and we are thinking about accepting as I am not mechanically-inclined anymore due to my age. The transmission had been working perfectly prior to this new problem. Should I cut my losses? I very much appreciate any advice. I did check YouTube and there was content about replacing a transmission solenoid. If I plug a diagnostic device into the computer will it tell me if the solenoid is the problem? Could this be associated with a low transmission fluid level? Thank you for your thoughts and kind advice!
Before throwing in the sponge...check the condition of your fluid, the level of your fluid, and get another opinion from a reputable shop. Sometimes a fluid change helps , but not usually, As a last resort, since you are about to bail, I'd consider an additive. A number of members have used an additive and are still driving their LS after thousands of miles. It's certainly worth a try. . PS... A rebuilt transmission is not advisable as they usually only change certain parts and the frequently the car is not the same after. Only a factory remanufactured is the way to go, but unfortunately they are no longer available for our cars. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 07-17-24, 04:09 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,934 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Drop the pan replace the filter, refresh the fluid. Will cost you around $200 to find out if the transmission is indeed dead or not.