ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Bugs!

Search this Thread

Old Today, 10:32 AM
ConanTheLibrarian
Rookie

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Bugs!

Ok - I am about to date myself. Forgive!

Do they still sell car Bra's? Or something to cover the front end? I drive 120 miles per day. A lot of it is country driving. The front end of my car always looks like a bug grave yard. Its hard as he!! to clean. I dont like the looks of the bra's..but man, I dont know what else to do.

Any suggestions?

Anyone have experience with a good bug cleaner that wont ruin the paint? Any special covering or magic spell?? Help!!

Last edited by ConanTheLibrarian; Today at 10:38 AM.
Old Today, 11:38 AM
Lesley248
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

If you want to protect your paint, get PPF aka a clear bra. It's a clear vinyl wrapped on the car so kind of like a screen protector. Virtually invisible. I have my front/back bumper, 1/3 front of my hood and mirror caps. If I were to do it again, would definitely do the full hood. The line in the middle of the hood bothers me so much.

Note that bugs would obviously still stick to the clear bra but your paint will be protected.
Old Today, 02:52 PM
Denzlex
Pit Crew

Received 89 Likes on 53 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Old Today, 04:59 PM
tfischer

Received 216 Likes on 160 Posts

I had a car bra for my SC430, and it was a pain to put on and take off and looked awful. I messed with that for 14 years. When I bought my RC350 in 2014, I had a clear film put on the whole hood (not just the front third). After 9 years, the hood still looked like new, and it was hard to tell that there was a clear film there. I did the same thing for my 24 ES350 a few months ago.
I don't know if they still make car bras (the plural of bra, by the way, is bras, not bra's, which is the possessive), but in my experience they cost a lot, take a lot of time to put on and take off, look ugly, and aren't on there protecting the hood all the time.
As for the bug cleaner, Poorboy's Bug Squash is pretty much the choice of professionals. Spray it on, let it sit there and soften up the remnants, then wipe everything off. Inexpensive, and something that should be in everyone's garage who drives on the highway.
You can buy it here:
https://poorboysworld.com/bug-squash-bug-remover.html
In summary: get the clear film on the whole hood, installed by a professional detailer, and get a bottle of Bug Squash.
You're welcome.
Old Today, 06:29 PM
dezymond
Instructor

Received 467 Likes on 289 Posts

PPF and ceramic coating. Doesn't prevent bug splatter of course but the ceramic coating makes it a ton easier to clean and of course with PPF it never contacts the paint.

It's important to not let dead bugs sit on the paint as those bug guts will etch into the paint if not removed quickly.