2013 GS 350 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:56 PM
PA2017
9th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question 2013 GS 350 Purchase

Hello,

I came across a 2013 GS 350 at CarMax that seems interesting. Expensive at $23k for a 2013, however it only has about 45.4k miles on it and it looks like it is in mint condition in the photos. Will have to look at it in person after it gets delivered to the local CarMax. Attached is the Experian car history.

CarMax does not haggle so I know that going into this. Wanted to know if there are concerns or red flags concerning a vehicle that appears to have been driven about 4k miles a year over the past 11 years. Also thinking about the CarMax warranty. Can get 60 months or either 100k or 125k miles on the odometer for $2.5k or $2.9k respectively.

Thoughts?
Attached Files
Old Yesterday, 02:39 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,118 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by PA2017
Hello,

I came across a 2013 GS 350 at CarMax that seems interesting. Expensive at $23k for a 2013, however it only has about 45.4k miles on it and it looks like it is in mint condition in the photos. Will have to look at it in person after it gets delivered to the local CarMax. Attached is the Experian car history.

CarMax does not haggle so I know that going into this. Wanted to know if there are concerns or red flags concerning a vehicle that appears to have been driven about 4k miles a year over the past 11 years. Also thinking about the CarMax warranty. Can get 60 months or either 100k or 125k miles on the odometer for $2.5k or $2.9k respectively.

Thoughts?
@PA2017 - You'll want to read THIS entire (very lengthy) thread about this exact car (VIN# JTHBE1BL2D5028655).

Hint: The above linked thread has a favorable ending for a buyer! ► Read the entire thread but be sure to read Post #33 & Post #41 and beyond. ◄

I hope it helps you!

Last edited by bclexus; Yesterday at 03:08 PM. Reason: orthography
The following users liked this post:
PA2017 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:43 PM
tompass2
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Love my 2013 GS350. Tires, brakes,oil changes, coolant change, and plugs so far. Still drives like the day i purchased it off lease from a dealer.
bclexus (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:25 PM
PA2017
9th Gear

@bclexus I cannot thank you enough for this information. I posted to a couple of forums on Reddit and got less than helpful information and direction. You have been most helpful.

Last edited by PA2017; Yesterday at 04:01 PM.
bclexus (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:59 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

@bclexus I cannot thank you enough for this information. I posted to a couple of forums on Reddit and got less than helpful information and direction. You have been most helpful.
@PA2017 - You are very welcome!

And, welcome to Club Lexus! I hope you'll be a 4GS owner posting in this forum on a regular basis.

You might want to consider continuing your posting in this thread you started instead of the other really, really lengthy thread that @gio707 started. That way the car is more precisely connected with you and any thoughts/comments/questions/decisions, etc. you may make about it. As you know this thread has all the reference links for the other thread if they are needed.
PA2017 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM
PA2017
9th Gear

@bclexus Thank you and good point. Will continue to post here instead. Have already sent a message to @gio707 to see if he has the prepurchase inspection docs from the Lexus dealership in Santa Rosa if he got one there.
bclexus (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Let's get the following into this thread:

Also, I got the MaxCare warranties quote for the vehicle. Thinking about the $50 deductible option and going with either the option to get me to 100k or 125k miles on the odometer.

Thoughts or other recommendations for warranties besides the one from CarMax? Based on the legendary Doug DeMuro Land Rover CarMax warranty, it seems like a pretty good one. Perhaps the ECU issue will be covered under the warranty, but I would have to read the fine print to see if that is the case.
@PA2017 - If I did decide to go with the MaxCare warranty on this car I'd most likely go with the deductible and mileage that you're considering.

I'm guessing the upfront cost of warranty coverage would likely [hopefully] end up being a waste of money (because the car is very reliable), but of course parts can fail. No doubt, having a warranty provides most people satisfying peace-of-mind.

As for the Network Gateway ECU - I seriously doubt it would be covered by the MaxCare warranty, because it's just a single important piece in a grand electronic jigsaw puzzle - that is almost impossible to explain what the ECU actually does and why is needs replacing - - keeping in mind the problematic ECU harbors a parasitic element deep within.

Additionally, providing the Lexus TSB concerning the problematic Network Gateway ECU to MaxCare warranty personnel would likely only bring about their excuse that Lexus should replace the ECU - - which Lexus would have replaced it if the service advisor and service manager at the original owner's Lexus dealership had been up-to-speed on TSBs with respect to the parasitic battery drain problem. Unfortunately, it's most likely too late now to expect Lexus to replace it as a goodwill gesture under the TSB. But, the positive factor in this matter is the Network Gateway ECU is relatively inexpensive and quite easy to replace as a plug 'n play part...
Old Yesterday, 10:01 PM
PA2017
9th Gear

Fair points. I was reading a different post I think you made about MaxCare and Repairpal shops. With a MaxCare warranty, I believe I can get the work done at any shop including a Lexus dealership for work to be done under the warranty contract. However, if I choose to have the work done at a Repairpal shop, then I get a $50 rebate which basically offsets the cost of the deductible. That is my understanding, but I will check it out more.

Also interested in installing one of those Beatsonic systems to allow me to use Carplay/Android Auto on the infotainment screen. May just see how much it would be to get a dealership to install that and the ECU all at once.