LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430
View Poll Results: Try to buy the linked UL?
Yea
0%
Nay
0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Searching For a Good One

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-24, 07:57 PM
Furudo
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Searching For a Good One

Apologies for this type of post (especially as a first post) but an opinion from the experts is what I need.

I've been searching on and off for an LS for years now but with the amount of rust I've got on my current DD I'm starting to seriously look into buying (the LS would only be driven when there is no salt on the road so don't worry). Does this UL look any good for the price at this point? I checked the service history on the Lexus maintenance site and it looks quite good but I can't see the details of each service so I'm unsure if the dealer would have done the transmission fluid (considering the fact I believe Lexus considers it lifetime fluid). Timing belt also looks like it will need to be done in a couple of years.

I live across the country so I'm looking for a rust free example, is this the one? Does anyone have an '04-'06, CL or UL, under 100k miles, no rust, and no accidents that they're willing to let go of for less? Figured I'd ask for opinions or options before I made a decision. I appreciate any guidance or offers anyone may have!

Last edited by Furudo; 07-19-24 at 08:08 PM.
Old 07-19-24, 11:50 PM
jphn
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just offering some thought, Im not familiar with cars very much, but I actually contacted that dealership while looking for LS awhile ago.
If its any reassurance, when I spoke to them, they mentioned that they were willing to bring to the the Lexus of Westminster for a PPI.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-ls-430-a.html
But check out my post, it wasnt reported on carfax, but there was a accident reported found on another site, and there were other inconsistencies as well.
I understand its just business, but lightweight dishonest if they were aware of it.

Double check Google and Yelp reviews and sort by negative.
But tbh if the car seems good, and nothing bad comes from the PPI, that might just be good enough to justify it though.
The following users liked this post:
Furudo (07-20-24)
Old 07-20-24, 06:38 AM
JffGRY706
Instructor

Received 63 Likes on 59 Posts

California is just awful to buy there
tax to death and shipping out is expensive
Found my LS in Pennsylvania as most LS are garage kept
Shipping to Texas cost $1,300 and expected a tip.
Tax Title and Liscense was $880
but sale in Pennsylvania was easy and tax was almost nothing.
tax on that would start at 10% plus fees
California is nuts. look to Florida if you must
Old 07-20-24, 07:07 AM
Furudo
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by jphn
Just offering some thought, Im not familiar with cars very much, but I actually contacted that dealership while looking for LS awhile ago.
If its any reassurance, when I spoke to them, they mentioned that they were willing to bring to the the Lexus of Westminster for a PPI.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...-ls-430-a.html
But check out my post, it wasnt reported on carfax, but there was a accident reported found on another site, and there were other inconsistencies as well.
I understand its just business, but lightweight dishonest if they were aware of it.

Double check Google and Yelp reviews and sort by negative.
But tbh if the car seems good, and nothing bad comes from the PPI, that might just be good enough to justify it though.
I appreciate the input! I'm lucky to run into someone with first hand experience with that dealership.

Yeah that is definitely a bit discouraging to see your experience; I've checked the reviews and they certainly have a mixed reputation at best. I'm considering attempting the PPI and go buy but it definitely seems like a typical high dealer price.

It also looks like from the service history on Lexus' website that the original owner declined service on an air strut before they sold it so if they didn't replace that then they are really being shady.

Have you had any luck since that post?

Old 07-20-24, 07:14 AM
Furudo
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by JffGRY706
California is just awful to buy there
tax to death and shipping out is expensive
Found my LS in Pennsylvania as most LS are garage kept
Shipping to Texas cost $1,300 and expected a tip.
Tax Title and Liscense was $880
but sale in Pennsylvania was easy and tax was almost nothing.
tax on that would start at 10% plus fees
California is nuts. look to Florida if you must
Does CA charge double tax if you're driving it out of state?

I wish I could buy an LS from around me in good conscious but I've been burned by rust on all of my cars so far.
My project has rotted out to the point where it probably can't be saved and my DD's floor pan has about 4 visible spots where rust has eaten all the way through. Previous DD wasn't claimed by rust but it definitely also had rust floorboards.
I don't want to deal with any rust so I've gotta look to the south/west, I've definitely been watching Florida.