LC Model (2018-present)

Lexus dealer damaged the bumper during service..

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-24, 09:37 AM
changho10
7th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lexus dealer damaged the bumper during service..

Hi all,
I drop off my 2024 LC 500 at my local lexus dealer for a 5k service on Friday afternoon. And I wait at the dealer.
After service was done, I was handed the keys and was about to go on my way feeling good after the new oil change, then WOW!
I see this major scrape on the side of the bumper that wasn't there when I dropped it off. I handwash my car twice a week and my car is caviar black so Im aware of any minor scratches on the body.
They did take pictures of the car before taking it in for service, so they admitted there that it was their fault.

I also got a 2 inch rim rash from this on the right front rim. I meticulously take good care of my car and something like this happens during the one and a half hour visit to the dealer..
The manager said he will call me first thing on Monday to arrange for a body fix, but still no word. It's 110k+ car and for a DEALER to damage the car and try to sweep it under the rug is enraging.

The following users liked this post:
Mulatto5150 (07-24-24)
Old 07-22-24, 10:07 AM
Badhobz
Instructor

Received 633 Likes on 335 Posts

yeah it happens. ive seen a LC get scratched UPON DELIEVERY. the guy who transported the car from the truck, scuffed the nose of the car when he was backing down the ramp. it was bad... REAL BAD.
I can just imagine the owner of that car losing his mind waiting for his brand new car to come back from the bodyshop because dingus mcgee doesnt know how to take it off the ramp.
Old 07-22-24, 10:28 AM
np20412
Lexus Test Driver

Received 422 Likes on 295 Posts

I know this sucks and you are a bit emotional right now, but take a breath. They admitted fault and you have documented that it is on them. This is the best case scenario you are in.

Now that you've taken that breath, take another breath.

The dealership is highly unlikely to be trying to sweep this under the rug given the above unfolding of events. What is more likely to have happened is that one of the porters who drove the car to/from the service bay cranked your car along a curb or lift post along the way. These porters make barely more than minimum wage and are likely in their younger years. This person probably said nothing for fear of losing their job. Use it as an opportunity to tell the Service Manager that they need to be more thorough when checking a customer out, not just hand them the keys and send them on their way. The way they should do this is to have your service advisor do a walk around the vehicle with you before you leave, the same way they do when they check you in.
The following 4 users liked this post by np20412:
2959 (07-22-24), cburke71 (07-22-24), Savjam (08-15-24), snowsenses (07-22-24)
Old 07-22-24, 10:40 AM
Moonman89
Advanced

Received 1,204 Likes on 360 Posts

I've owned 3 brand new Lexus's so far & from my own experience I had way better service at Nissan, Mazda & Subaru. My local Lexus dealer can't even get the correct amount of quarts for an oil change. Also If I request no wash to do they exact opposite!
Old 07-22-24, 11:48 AM
Orion54
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What's the name of the dealer and location? We had a problem with our SC back in the day at our local dealer, Nalley Lexus Roswell. Wife took it in with me out of town for routine service and the tried to sell her tire which we didn't need. They drained all run flat to zero pressure and sent her home. I was beyond pissed when I got back. Need to find a good dealer for service for our 24 LC vert when time comes.
dknyov (07-22-24)
Old 07-22-24, 12:25 PM
tecman
Lead Lap

Received 891 Likes on 618 Posts

Originally Posted by Orion54
What's the name of the dealer and location? We had a problem with our SC back in the day at our local dealer, Nalley Lexus Roswell. Wife took it in with me out of town for routine service and the tried to sell her tire which we didn't need. They drained all run flat to zero pressure and sent her home. I was beyond pissed when I got back. Need to find a good dealer for service for our 24 LC vert when time comes.
That’s the dealer I use, my LC will be going back to them tomorrow for the third time for service. They have never walked around the car with me or shown any pictures of it. when I go there tomorrow I’m going to mention the issue that I had in the past with them, and walk around the car with the service advisor in their dimly lit drop off tunnel with a flashlight. When I had them replace the door handle I found two chips in the paint close to the door hinge but I didn’t notice it until about a week or so later while washing the car.

I have taken this car to a nice Indy shop for an oil change. They took around 10 pictures of the car that were uploaded to their portal. They have been a great shop for my Lexus cars If you’re looking for outside of the dealer work. LexTechs, Johns Creek Ga.
TGIF (07-25-24)
Old 07-22-24, 01:05 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 113 Likes on 62 Posts

@changho10 sorry to hear, that's absolutely infuriorating. I think @np20412 's lens is probably the best one to take.

We've had two cars damaged by dealerships (and one by a tire shop). The first was my GS350 bumper got rubbed when they were parking it after service. I'm 99% certain it was done by a junior person there and like np20412 said, while it was their fault losing it on them or the dealership for a "kid" (someone in their early 20s) panicking and worrying about losing their first and only job is an emotional decision many of us may have made in our youth. I called the dealership out on this and they both buffed it out and also gave me a $500 service credit. They had offered to repaint the bumper (after buffing it was still a little noticeable) but I knew that repainting would cause its own issues.

The second was our Tacoma got absolutely ROCKED by someone driving it over a tall curb or rock. The running board was smashed, the fenders were messed, and even the rocker was damaged. It absolutely blew my mind that this could happen. My dad was servicing it and they denied it. They said he had dropped it off that way, which really pissed him (and myself off). Ultimately they fixed it on their dime, but for whatever reason my dad asked them to fix a dent on the bumper (caused by him or someone who borrowed the truck), and they charged him full bodyshop price for that. Needless to say I won't be servicing at that dealership ever again. Really unfortunate as I had a dash cam on that vehicle but the fricking SD card was shot and we hadn't noticed. Also, most dealerships unplug the dash cam. I've told them they can't going forward. They claim it's a privacy violation, and I tell them I'll service elsewhere. They fold.

The last time was my two of rims on my 4 month old GX had hairline cuts on them from mounting winters. I noticed it, and they told me the general manager would call me in a few days. My gut told me not to leave, but I did. Next business day the general manager called me and apologized and said it'd be fixed, but he recommended me waiting until the winter was over, and when I came in the Spring for a tire swap, he'd do it for free and fix the wheels. Spring rolls around and I just assumed it would be a lost cause (and I should have documented things outside of a phone call). Nope. Talk to the general manager and he said "Listen you've been patient for 5 months, haven't called me. I have a sticky here reminding me that we need to fix your wheels. I'm just going to write them off and order you new ones". Phenomenal experience and I'll be a customer for life.

Sorry that's a lot about my stories. But from what I've learned:
  1. Don't get too angry or verbally aggressive
  2. If you're going to show an emotion, exasperation or sadness works best.
  3. Put it on them to make it right (they'll offer "fixing" it, which as we know isn't the same as it was when new).
  4. Share your concerns about them fixing it and it not being the same.
  5. Ask for a little more. Dealerships make a lot of money on service, and while you may not want to service there again, I'd ask for at a $1500 credit to continue to keep your business
$1500 may sound nuts to ask, but I think it's a number I'd be comfortable with knowing my car was damaged, but they were able to cosmetically return it to almost new... even though you'll always know (or see it).

Also going forward, I make sure to make it VERY clear that you're giving the car to them spotless and they have to do the walkaround and point out any issues they see vs the other way around.

Oh, I also forgot. The dealership that damaged my GS350 also washed it once (I asked dealerships not to wash my car) and the car was a) returned dirtier than when I gave it to them, and b) had tons of noticeable swirls. They offered to do a professional detailing, but I think I was able to get a $200 credit, telling them it'd be a full weekend day for me to do it and I think that's a fair swap for my time (truth be told I enjoy detailing my car).

BTW: I'm not "that guy" who always asks for a credit. But it's worked the two times I've asked.
Old 07-22-24, 01:17 PM
dknyov
Pit Crew

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mehran888
@changho10 sorry to hear, that's absolutely infuriorating. I think @np20412 's lens is probably the best one to take.

We've had two cars damaged by dealerships (and one by a tire shop). The first was my GS350 bumper got rubbed when they were parking it after service. I'm 99% certain it was done by a junior person there and like np20412 said, while it was their fault losing it on them or the dealership for a "kid" (someone in their early 20s) panicking and worrying about losing their first and only job is an emotional decision many of us may have made in our youth. I called the dealership out on this and they both buffed it out and also gave me a $500 service credit. They had offered to repaint the bumper (after buffing it was still a little noticeable) but I knew that repainting would cause its own issues.

The second was our Tacoma got absolutely ROCKED by someone driving it over a tall curb or rock. The running board was smashed, the fenders were messed, and even the rocker was damaged. It absolutely blew my mind that this could happen. My dad was servicing it and they denied it. They said he had dropped it off that way, which really pissed him (and myself off). Ultimately they fixed it on their dime, but for whatever reason my dad asked them to fix a dent on the bumper (caused by him or someone who borrowed the truck), and they charged him full bodyshop price for that. Needless to say I won't be servicing at that dealership ever again. Really unfortunate as I had a dash cam on that vehicle but the fricking SD card was shot and we hadn't noticed. Also, most dealerships unplug the dash cam. I've told them they can't going forward. They claim it's a privacy violation, and I tell them I'll service elsewhere. They fold.

The last time was my two of rims on my 4 month old GX had hairline cuts on them from mounting winters. I noticed it, and they told me the general manager would call me in a few days. My gut told me not to leave, but I did. Next business day the general manager called me and apologized and said it'd be fixed, but he recommended me waiting until the winter was over, and when I came in the Spring for a tire swap, he'd do it for free and fix the wheels. Spring rolls around and I just assumed it would be a lost cause (and I should have documented things outside of a phone call). Nope. Talk to the general manager and he said "Listen you've been patient for 5 months, haven't called me. I have a sticky here reminding me that we need to fix your wheels. I'm just going to write them off and order you new ones". Phenomenal experience and I'll be a customer for life.

Sorry that's a lot about my stories. But from what I've learned:
  1. Don't get too angry or verbally aggressive
  2. If you're going to show an emotion, exasperation or sadness works best.
  3. Put it on them to make it right (they'll offer "fixing" it, which as we know isn't the same as it was when new).
  4. Share your concerns about them fixing it and it not being the same.
  5. Ask for a little more. Dealerships make a lot of money on service, and while you may not want to service there again, I'd ask for at a $1500 credit to continue to keep your business
$1500 may sound nuts to ask, but I think it's a number I'd be comfortable with knowing my car was damaged, but they were able to cosmetically return it to almost new... even though you'll always know (or see it).

Also going forward, I make sure to make it VERY clear that you're giving the car to them spotless and they have to do the walkaround and point out any issues they see vs the other way around.

Oh, I also forgot. The dealership that damaged my GS350 also washed it once (I asked dealerships not to wash my car) and the car was a) returned dirtier than when I gave it to them, and b) had tons of noticeable swirls. They offered to do a professional detailing, but I think I was able to get a $200 credit, telling them it'd be a full weekend day for me to do it and I think that's a fair swap for my time (truth be told I enjoy detailing my car).

BTW: I'm not "that guy" who always asks for a credit. But it's worked the two times I've asked.
I hate it when the dealer unplug the dashcam, and plug it back the wrong connector holes. What privacy are they talking about? I think they just dont want us to know that the actually time they worked on our car just 20-30 mins max, but they let us wait for 2 to 3 hours.
I wonder can we ask them just do what in the service menu, is the service menu including< unplug the dash cam>?

Last edited by dknyov; 07-22-24 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-22-24, 01:27 PM
Orion54
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tecman
That’s the dealer I use, my LC will be going back to them tomorrow for the third time for service. They have never walked around the car with me or shown any pictures of it. when I go there tomorrow I’m going to mention the issue that I had in the past with them, and walk around the car with the service advisor in their dimly lit drop off tunnel with a flashlight. When I had them replace the door handle I found two chips in the paint close to the door hinge but I didn’t notice it until about a week or so later while washing the car.

I have taken this car to a nice Indy shop for an oil change. They took around 10 pictures of the car that were uploaded to their portal. They have been a great shop for my Lexus cars If you’re looking for outside of the dealer work. LexTechs, Johns Creek Ga.
Thanks for the info on LexTechs. Pretty impressive on the pictures and uploading. I'll keep it in mind for the future. While under warranty though I need to find out if Hennessey is any better. Nalley overall is corporate so they couldn't give a rats ****. Many on here say that each Dealership has an LC expert. Wondering if that's true and which Service ones in Atlanta have the best.
Old 07-22-24, 02:13 PM
NickL
Racer

Received 428 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by dknyov
I think they just dont want us to know that the actually time they worked on our car just 20-30 mins max, but they let us wait for 2 to 3 hours.
>?
Yup. They only got your car to work on.
Old 07-22-24, 02:35 PM
Pit Crew

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Moonman89
I've owned 3 brand new Lexus's so far & from my own experience I had way better service at Nissan, Mazda & Subaru. My local Lexus dealer can't even get the correct amount of quarts for an oil change. Also If I request no wash to do they exact opposite!
Which one in Michigan? I’ve used Lakeside for many years, many vehicles with no issues thus far. Southfield is a different story.
Old 07-23-24, 07:17 AM
Barncobob
Intermediate

Received 180 Likes on 115 Posts

whoever does repair ask that it not go on carfax or similar type report...when it comes time to sell and its reported Ur car value decreases alot....happened on my Porsche I recently sold.
Old 07-23-24, 10:40 AM
kirkd1
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Barncobob
whoever does repair ask that it not go on carfax or similar type report...when it comes time to sell and its reported Ur car value decreases alot....happened on my Porsche I recently sold.
Why lie and cheat the system. As soon as you break the factory paint you have diminished the value of the car. They did the damage, they need to fix and pay the diminished value up front. This is their fault they need to take full responsibility and make you whole. They pay thousands of dollars a year for insurance just for cases like this. You are dealing with a multi million dollars operation, stand your ground!
Old 07-23-24, 11:00 AM
Moonman89
Advanced

Received 1,204 Likes on 360 Posts

Originally Posted by 2959
Which one in Michigan? I’ve used Lakeside for many years, many vehicles with no issues thus far. Southfield is a different story.
I usually go to Southfield but whenever I do now I always make the SA put in the Service-Order 9.1 Quarts (Per owners manual) one time they put 8 quarts instead of 9.1. Lakeside is much better I bought my 1st two IS500s from them but it is a far drive from my city Canton. My Launch Edition was the 1st one sold in Michigan when I took delivery Jan 2022.
2959 (07-24-24)
Old 07-23-24, 02:13 PM
changho10
7th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

No word as of this morning, so I called and left a message. One of the managers called back and asked me to drop my car off on Thurs. Aug. 1 for the paint job and to pick it up the following Tues or Wed. They ll be offering me a loaner as well.
I suppose this is the reasonable resolution.
Better get a nice model for the loaner!

Quick Reply: Lexus dealer damaged the bumper during service..