GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Rim Size on Stock Suspension or Stock Height Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-24, 10:00 PM
limerence
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rim Size on Stock Suspension or Stock Height Suspension

Hi folks,

Going to be getting a 2000 GS400 Platinum 156k miles that come with stock 16's. Although theres alot of meat on the tires which makes the ride comfortable, it makes the car look old. Thinking about getting some larger Lexus rims that are plug n play. Not looking to buy spacers or lowering (although I might get bilstein B6 as a replacement to stock shocks which I think may lower by half an inch). Still researching rims that are easily swappable, but thinking about either going to the 17" 5 spoke GS wheels, or the 5 spoke 18" LS430 wheels. I have tried search and most threads speak of lowering, or coilovers, etc. I dont plan to do any of that. Just looking for something comfortable and solid and looks decent. With that said, anyone with stock suspension see a noticeable difference in ride comfort between 17s and 18s?

Thanks,
John
Old Yesterday, 06:53 AM
8M6
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

One would think I'd be able to paint a clear picture having had 16", 17", and 18" wheels on my car, but I've also avoided regularly driving on crappy roads and I adapt to new norms pretty quickly, so I have a pretty lousy memory of the 16" days.

I had my current 18s with the stock suspension for maybe a week or so at most because I also had Bilstein B6 shocks, Vogtland 1" lowering springs, and IS/GS350 brakes ready to go in at the same time. I didn't notice a lot of difference between 17s and 18s compared to the major change that came afterward. This setup is noticeably stiffer than the stock suspension on 16s, but that's more on the shocks and springs than the wheels. However, going straight from 16" to 18" ought to be more noticeable than going 16-17-18 over the span of 6-7 years like I did.

If you get good quality tires when upsizing your wheels, I don't think your ride comfort will suffer too much. If anything, because I kind of cheaped out on my current tires (if you can call General cheap), I'd say my issues with ride comfort now are more noise-related than tactile.
The following users liked this post:
limerence (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:43 AM
limerence
7th Gear

Originally Posted by 8M6
I had my current 18s with the stock suspension for maybe a week or so at most because I also had Bilstein B6 shocks, Vogtland 1" lowering springs, and IS/GS350 brakes ready to go in at the same time.
Two questions for you...

1) I am on the fence about going the Bilstein route since I dont know if the ride will be noticeably harsher. (Was looking to go with an in between option of KYB or Koni's but doesnt look like too many go with those?) Looks like you went back to stock shocks? Was this the reason why?

2) When looking at the brake upgrades, most of which I found was LS400 swaps. I didn't want to go this route since I didn't want to cut up or remove the shield. Is the GS350 a direct swap without having to mangle up anything?

Thanks,
John
Old Yesterday, 11:54 AM
8M6
Pit Crew

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

I didn't go back to stock shocks. I still have the Bilsteins today and have no intention of going back. What a lot people tend to do is go with coilovers because of their ride height adjustability and because there are a lot of affordable options. I didn't need that. I care more for a high quality shock.

This is my second car with Bilstein B6/HD shocks, so I knew what to expect. I don't like having a floaty ride which is something I felt when the suspension was stock. The one apples-to-apples comparison I can make on roads I regularly drive on is a place where there's a dip in the road where it joins up with a short bridge over a railroad. I used to feel significant rebound action there, whereas it's gone now with the Bilsteins.

The IS/GS350 brake swap requires the 350phi caliper bracket kit. It will require removing the dust shield.
limerence (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM
firelizard

Received 444 Likes on 352 Posts

The 350phi kit does require an irreversible modification to the knuckle as well: tapping one of the caliper-mounting holes, in addition to completely removing the dust shield. Also, I believe you need spacers to fit the stock 17" wheels, and 16" wheels are out of the question.

The most direct brake upgrades are the A80 Supra TT caliper, or the TRD kit. To be honest though, there's no real need for a brake upgrade unless you track the car or want to fill out the wheel for looks.

I swapped to Tanabe DF210 springs on KYB Excel-G struts pretty much immediately. But I did ride on (steel) 16s, (stock) 17s, and (aftermarket) 18s on the same setup. I can tell you that yes, there is a marked difference between the 17" and 18" setup. Note, I was using 235/45-17 and 235/40-18. Many people go with 245/40-18 for a bit more sidewall.

Even after I installed stiff coilovers, going back and forth between my stock 17" wheels and aftermarket 18" setup was a considerable difference in "plushness".

Last edited by firelizard; Yesterday at 06:05 PM.
limerence (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM
limerence
7th Gear

Originally Posted by firelizard
Also, I believe you need spacers to fit the stock 17" wheels, and 16" wheels are out of the question.

The most direct brake upgrades are the A80 Supra TT caliper, or the TRD kit. To be honest though, there's no real need for a brake upgrade unless you track the car or want to fill out the wheel for looks.

I swapped to Tanabe DF210 springs on KYB Excel-G struts pretty much immediately. But I did ride on (steel) 16s, (stock) 17s, and (aftermarket) 18s on the same setup. I can tell you that yes, there is a marked difference between the 17" and 18" setup. Note, I was using 235/45-17 and 235/40-18. Many people go with 245/40-18 for a bit more sidewall.

Even after I installed stiff coilovers, going back and forth between my stock 17" wheels and aftermarket 18" setup was a considerable difference in "plushness".
Thanks.

For brakes, I'll opt out of the LS400/Supra/TRD routes then since I dont want to have it be where I do permanent modifications which it sounds like these will require. Was hoping for simpler drop in solutions. Will have to look into Powerstop, Centric, etc. Whether I upgrade the rotors and pads only or go with calipers from like Powerstop, that should not cut off options down the road for anything, is that correct? Ex. the supra calipers rule out the usage of stock 16s altogether. I like to keep my options open to swap things in and out.

As far shocks, I will proceed to go the Bilstein route. I recently got a 98 4runner that I put in Bilstein 5100s and really pleased with their performance. I like the cushiness of the stock suspension but willing to give up a little if the handling is much improved.

Lastly, from reading threads and the posts here, it seems like they are pretty close in ride quality (potentially if I do the larger tire size for more meat on the 18's that firelizard mentioned). I like the look of the 18's a little better but it may all boil down to whichever one I can get a better deal on.

Thanks,
John
Old Yesterday, 11:31 PM
firelizard

Received 444 Likes on 352 Posts

Stock calipers with fresh OE-style rotors and good pads are fine. Stainless brake lines are an upgrade that require no modification. The dust shield is snug to the rotor and caliper, which is why needs to be bent, trimmed, or removed in some way for any larger brakes. Removal is reversible if the hardware holding it to the knuckle isn't seized.
limerence (Today)
Old Today, 12:23 AM
limerence
7th Gear

Thanks firelizard.

Was on rockauto just now looking at my options and leaning on getting the centric brake kit that comes with their premium rotors and posi quiet pads. Noted on the brake lines, will pick up a set as well. Thanks for the reminder. Hoping to do the front brakes, lower ball joints, outer tie rods, and front shocks all at the same time. Dont know how yet but will watch a few hours of youtube before tackling.

Thanks,
John