GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Trying to buy a CPO 2021 GX460 - Am I being unreasonable?

Search this Thread

Old Today, 05:36 PM
Mantutuli
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to buy a CPO 2021 GX460 - Am I being unreasonable?

Hi
New here, and would be new to a GX460

I've bought other luxury brand CPO vehicles and they all were purchased 100% issue free. It seems Lexus has a very different idea of/standard for CPO/whats acceptable for dealers to sell as "the best used Lexus vehicles" then I do. The things that are deemed "not a problem", problems don't effect the sale price at all, i.e. dealers charging top dollar (well over KBB).

For example, I had my own mechanic do a PPI and one of the things found was "Small oil seepage at oil cooler hose". When i asked a service writer if that was something that should have been caught during CPO inspection, and if that should have been fixed and/or caused the CPO certification to have failed, I was told "It depends. If it's just wet, it would pass (as if a bad hose, or cracked cooler is perfectly acceptable to Lexus) as long as it falls within guidelines. Apparently there's some pictures of a continuum, and depending on how bad the leak is, they either pass the inspection, or, if the leak is dripping, only then will they consider it bad enough that they'll fix it.

From my perspective, If I'm paying 53k OTD (Luxury Sport trim), I expect the vehicle to be issue free. I understand its a used vehicle, but its not like I'm buying it for 20k less from a generic used car lot, or from a private seller. I don't feel I should be paying a premium to a dealer and for a CPO warranty if there are issues that aren't covered by the warranty, or will manifest to a much worse issue, but might not before the warranty expires.

Other issues are:
What looks like a electrical fire or something that caused the upper dash board to deform somewhat as well as the DTS and other switches in that cluster. I feel they should replace it.
Both front tires outer edges are very worn. I think they should replace the tires and do an alignment
TWO different store ECU-P1603 codes(engine cutoff without the ignition key) - I get the battery change can throw this, but I'm surprised there's TWO, and Lexus service didn't clear the codes, since its a common thing, and anyone smart enough to do a PPI would see the codes.

Potential issues (i couldnt due these functions, so it might just be me.
Running board light - I couldnt see them, but it was during the day. I placed my foot all around, on top and bottom, but no light was visible.
Remote start
headlight washers wouldnt work (dont remember if I had lights on or not)
Center Diff wouldnt lock
the "auto" select between recirculate air and outside air cant be selected.

*There are also a few chips in the paint and some scratches I'm hoping will "buff out"(wet sand, etc,)

Am I out of line/in the wrong for expecting a 53k CPO vehicle to be issue free leaving a dealership, or paying top dollar for a vehicle and still needing to pay another 5k+ to get the vehicle in "issue free" condition?
Disclaimer - This is my 1st time buying a vehicle in the state I'm living, and maybe this is "normal" for the area. As in people dont raise a fuss /accept anything when they buy used vehicles so dealers know they can get away with it.

thanks in advance for your feedback

Last edited by Mantutuli; Today at 05:52 PM.
Old Today, 07:22 PM
MrTorgue
Advanced

Received 340 Likes on 227 Posts

How the hell does a 2021 have an oil leak already?
The following users liked this post:
Mantutuli (Today)
Old Today, 08:09 PM
ScaldedDog
Pit Crew

Received 119 Likes on 69 Posts

How long has it been on the lot? I have no idea what "should" be, but the thing will either sell as-is for what they are asking, they'll fix the issues they think are affecting it's value in the market, or they'll take less. If it's new to the lot, you have less leverage than if it's been there awhile. Offer them what you want to pay and, if they don't take it, follow up closer to the end of the month, without budging on your number. Move on if they don't make the deal you want. It's just a car and, from what you say, not a great one.

My $.02.

Mark
Mantutuli (Today)
Old Today, 08:47 PM
Mantutuli
4th Gear

i think its been there around 30 days. Its a luxury, so its a rarer trim, but I've been checking it out for around a week now and it hasnt been snatched up
Old Today, 08:48 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

Did you buy it already? If not, don't. Also maybe don't buy anything from that dealership. When I was in the tri-state area the range in the quality of the various Lexus dealerships was vast. But since in that area you could throw a rock in any direction and hit a Lexus dealership, there were plenty to choose from even after ruling out 3 or 4 of them.
Old Today, 09:01 PM
RJinVA
Driver School Candidate

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Why are you even considering buying this? Common sense would tell you to just walk away....
Lagtime (Today)
Old Today, 09:52 PM
Mantutuli
4th Gear

I havent yet. there almost no private sales where I'm at (middle tennessee). Theres 3 dealers "relatively" close(within 2 hours). Chattanooga, Cool Springs and Nashville. t I've been looking for 3-4 months and the pickings are pretty slim for what I'm looking for. I'm getting up there in years, so buying an older/high mileage vehicle I'd DYI isnt a possibility. I grew grew up in Jersey, and while there are obviously lots more people/dealers, dealing with the rust/rot has to be a nightmare.
My benz was cherry after 10 living at the beach in So cal. Moved to Boston, and after another 10, every bolt is rusted fused. Parts are disintegration. I believe tons have moved to a slurry of calcium chloride instead of salt. Brutal

Last edited by Mantutuli; Today at 09:57 PM.
Old Today, 10:02 PM
Mantutuli
4th Gear

Originally Posted by RJinVA
Why are you even considering buying this? Common sense would tell you to just walk away....
Not so desperate i'd get taken, but desperate to try to put the deal together. It has the features I really want, at a price I'd pay IF there werent any issues.
iI just wanted opinions to make sure I wasnt asking for anything outrageous. Obviously sales people are like "you understand its used, right?". I get they're as bad if not worse than lawyers. Will do anything to make a sale, and screw you over without thinking twice. That said, I'm a hard negotiator, and I ,was just getting a feel how hard is too hard.
Old Today, 10:12 PM
CFAI
Advanced

Received 320 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Mantutuli
Not so desperate i'd get taken, but desperate to try to put the deal together. It has the features I really want, at a price I'd pay IF there werent any issues.
iI just wanted opinions to make sure I wasnt asking for anything outrageous. Obviously sales people are like "you understand its used, right?". I get they're as bad if not worse than lawyers. Will do anything to make a sale, and screw you over without thinking twice. That said, I'm a hard negotiator, and I ,was just getting a feel how hard is too hard.
Might be worth buying out of state and having a fun road trip back with your new GX.