RX - 3rd Gen (2010-2015) Discussion topics related to the 2010 - 2015 RX350 and RX450H models

Tpms issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-24, 08:53 AM
sunnyside
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Tpms issue

97,000 miles on my 2014 RX 350 and the TPMS came on. All tires including spare are at correct pressure. My car does not have the resent button shown in the namual. I am guessing that one of the monitors in a wheel has gone dead. Looking for advice from someone who has had this happen.
Old 07-27-24, 10:28 AM
iolmaster
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by sunnyside
97,000 miles on my 2014 RX 350 and the TPMS came on. All tires including spare are at correct pressure. My car does not have the resent button shown in the namual. I am guessing that one of the monitors in a wheel has gone dead. Looking for advice from someone who has had this happen.
You are at 10 years old on the batteries in the sensors. The stated life expectancy is 8-10 years. Some get more some get less. You likely have a battery that has gone bad. the only way I know of to be sure is to hook up the car to Techstream and it will tell you the voltages of the sensor batteries.
Old 07-27-24, 11:12 AM
sunnyside
Driver

Thanks, I will try to get that done. My wife suggested tape over the light! She is not a car person.
Old 07-27-24, 12:15 PM
salimshah

Received 1,081 Likes on 973 Posts

Shop has to dismount the tires and access the stems. Then remount, balance, program the sensors to be read. Gets expensive.

Any one who replaces tires from 6+yrs or sensor life should replace the sensors at that time.

My place is Costco.

Salim
The following 2 users liked this post by salimshah:
hankrearden (07-27-24), RX10 (07-30-24)
Old 07-27-24, 01:10 PM
Clutchless

Received 1,182 Likes on 1,010 Posts

A shop can scan the sensors to identify the one with a bad battery. You could just replace that one to save money. As Salim advised, Costco is the least expensive place to have this done. Even if you have to join to take advantage of their low price on this, it will still be cheaper than most normal tire shops factoring in the total cost. If you need tires too, then you will save even more over other places.
I paid about $250 for all 4 TPMS about 4 years ago. Another place wanted almost $500.
Call Costco first to make sure they have them in stock for your RX then make an appointment.
The following users liked this post:
RX10 (07-30-24)
Old 07-29-24, 11:30 AM
smknkeyz
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

The reset button is rather hard to see. You may want to start there. Right side drivers knee, pretty far back. Tiny button. But, as they stated above your batteries do have an end of life.
Old 07-29-24, 11:59 AM
uncle
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

To become self-sufficient on this subject, with two Lexus's in the garage, I invested in and Autel TS508. No more mysteries. Have a weak battery causing the light? With 508 it can be identified in a few minutes. Want to change one? Use the 508 to clone a reasonably priced replacement and have your local tire person, break the bead, remove the old , install the new one.
Leepofaith (08-08-24)
Old 07-29-24, 07:07 PM
sunnyside
Driver

I had two bad ones. Discount Tire had them all replaced in 15 min. No need to rebalance because the inside bead is not disturbed. Paired them to the car and off i went. Costco may have been cheaper but it could take two weeks around here to get in and then you shop. The most expensive thing in that place is your shipping cart!
Old 07-30-24, 12:02 PM
chas410
Pit Crew

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Tape over the light. Your wife is correct.
WHLex4 (08-02-24)
Old 08-06-24, 08:52 AM
loverx350
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sunnyside
I have the same issue on my 2010 RX350 that the TPM light comes on intermittently after about an hour on the highway speed (and off by itself after I turned off and restart the engine). I checked all tire pressure when the TPM light is on and all tire pressures are normal (including the spare still at 60psi). I have reset it according to the manual but it still comes on from time to time. I am suspecting it is the battery low issue too. My garage guy told me that he couldn't get readings from the TPM so he couldn't identify which one is failing.
Did you get all TPM modules replaced? How about the one in the spare tire? I was told the spare tire also has TPM module. My question is: the 4 tires on the road is 32 psi but the spare is 60 psi. Does the car computer recognize two different PSI signals at the same time and trigger the TPM lights? Can anyone enlighten me with this knowledge?
If I replace all the TPM modules on the 4 tires (@32psi) on the road, do I also need to replace the module in the spare tire (@60psi)?
Old 08-06-24, 09:50 AM
salimshah

Received 1,081 Likes on 973 Posts

Originally Posted by loverx350
I have the same issue on my 2010 RX350 that the TPM light comes on intermittently after about an hour on the highway speed (and off by itself after I turned off and restart the engine). I checked all tire pressure when the TPM light is on and all tire pressures are normal (including the spare still at 60psi). I have reset it according to the manual but it still comes on from time to time. I am suspecting it is the battery low issue too. My garage guy told me that he couldn't get readings from the TPM so he couldn't identify which one is failing.
Did you get all TPM modules replaced? How about the one in the spare tire? I was told the spare tire also has TPM module. My question is: the 4 tires on the road is 32 psi but the spare is 60 psi. Does the car computer recognize two different PSI signals at the same time and trigger the TPM lights? Can anyone enlighten me with this knowledge?
If I replace all the TPM modules on the 4 tires (@32psi) on the road, do I also need to replace the module in the spare tire (@60psi)?
Please do not try or ask some one to replace anything without proper fault identification. Take your vehicle to some competent tire place and let them diagnose and fix. If you can measure the tire pressure and make sure it is inflated to the specified pressure [driver side door jamb sticker], you can ignore the dash warning.

If you want to understand and self diagnose [or at least triangulate] here are the details.
Inside the tire valve stem there is a battery powered sensor-sender that transmits the pressure condition. The battery has 7+ year of life.
If you have a donut spare, most likely it will not have the sensor-sender.
Inside the vehicle there is a receiver module and calibration/threshold setting button. You can inflate ALL the tires to match the door-jamb sticker and hit calibrate button and if the pressure falls a few PSI below it will light up the warning. Do not try to calibrate without ensuring the inflation level is correct, in an attempt to turn off the warning light. [this is NOT as reset button].
Tire shops have a receiver device which they can use to see the signal strength from the sensor-sender. <= Proof positive device for identification of bad sender or battery. This device will also capture the id of the sender to program in the receiver.

Salim
loverx350 (08-06-24)
Old 08-06-24, 07:15 PM
lexo98
Pole Position

Received 278 Likes on 240 Posts

if you have a full size spare with a sensor the pressure is not 60psi. If you have a small temp spare that does not require a sensor. You need to find a shop with a tpms scan too and see how many are bad, but replacing them all when one fails is a good idea
loverx350 (08-06-24)
Old 08-07-24, 09:14 AM
RX10
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I too have a 2010 RX and have gone thru the full TPMS replacement process. I went to Costco and was all set for them to replace all four tire sensors PLUS the spare. It turned out that the spare does not have a TPMS and even if it did, the computer system is only capable of programing 4 tires. About $260 out the door about a year ago.
Old 08-12-24, 04:55 PM
sunnyside
Driver

You were right. Two were dead and I had all 4 replaced at Discount Tire.