My first DIY oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-24, 07:00 PM
hyunwoo198
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default My first DIY oil change.

I just did my DIY oil change, and have some questions.. plz help me out.

1. I torqued drain plug to 30ftlb and hand tighted filter much as I can (my hands are weak &#129315

2. I drained oil then added 5.6qts. When I poured old oil back to empty bottles, I got 5 qts. Dip stick is just at or below full dot. Did I do anything wrong?🙄 I used Rhino ramp. And checked dip stick 1 minute after, then 10 minutes after on flat surface.

3. I spilled some to engine bay when I tried to pour 5 qt jug. Tried to clean up as much as possible. Would that be okay? 🫨
It wasn't hard, but harder than I thought. The drain plug gasket was stuck to the pan and that took big chunk of my time.

Old 07-29-24, 08:25 PM
UTME06
Driver School Candidate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I've done a good hundred oil changes over the years...

1. Never measured torqued on a drain plug. Hand screw it tight and a good 1/8 turn... it doesn't need to be crazy tight. Hand tight on the filter is also perfect. Hopefully you put some oil on the gasket (just a bit of the dirty oil on you finger)... if not it may stick and make it super difficult to get off next time; and the oil helps to ensure a tight seal.

Those two items are why I always do it myself. Oil change places overtighten everything making the next time extra painful.

2. Trust the dip stick more than the manual. If it shows you're good, you're good. Check it after running though so the filter is full and you get an accurate reading.

3. A clean engine bay is nice to look at but nothing more than that. As long as you don't get oil in the alternator or on any exposed sensors (and there shouldn't be any) you are fine.

If you are going to make this a habit and drive a bunch of miles, these are awesome: https://www.fumotousa.com/ I don't see one for the TX yet, but the RX350 should fit. I'll pick one up for the next change. Makes it faster, cleaner, and you can do it while the oil is hot without the risks! If you get one, definitely torque it to their specs or you'll break it (ask me how I know... and how I know they'll send another if you mess up and ask really nicely )

Congrats on getting your hands dirty! So many easy maintenance items to save some money and know it's done right!

Last edited by UTME06; 07-29-24 at 08:31 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by UTME06:
coolbrazz (07-30-24), hyunwoo198 (07-30-24), sheetmetalfab (07-30-24)
Old 07-30-24, 02:35 PM
coolbrazz
Advanced

Received 182 Likes on 142 Posts

I don't know how the oil filter is mounted on the TX, but on my other car I fill the oil filter with new oil before screwing back on. Not a good idea if located at an angle.
Also, I replace the drain plug & washer every oil change. Just my preference....
I agree with UTME06 trust the dipstick. Wipe off any spilled oil before starting engine to check for leaks while running.
Old 08-02-24, 10:09 AM
Grinder34
Rookie

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

FWIW i plan on using a Mityvac fluid extractor to suck the oil out through the dipstick tube. I know I'll still have to get under the car for the filter, but its way less mess that way than even a Fumoto.

For the first change I may also do the drain bolt after evacuating to assess the level of residual oil, but in every other car I've done this on theres basically no oil left after the vacuuming. I expect this engine to be the same.
Old 08-03-24, 07:44 AM
mhoran89
Pit Crew

Received 58 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Grinder34
FWIW i plan on using a Mityvac fluid extractor to suck the oil out through the dipstick tube. I know I'll still have to get under the car for the filter, but its way less mess that way than even a Fumoto.

For the first change I may also do the drain bolt after evacuating to assess the level of residual oil, but in every other car I've done this on theres basically no oil left after the vacuuming. I expect this engine to be the same.
I did this on a number of Audi vehicles for years and never had any issues and it worked flawlessly. No mess no dripping oil everywhere and it can be hot and it doesn’t matter either. Audi had topside filters which was a nice treat as well!