Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What’s the most important factor in buying a vehicle

Search this Thread

Old Today, 06:32 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts
Default What’s the most important factor in buying a vehicle

Originally Posted by dirtydriver58
What I said was not a conspiracy theory lol as even the government officials behind the new stringent CAFE rules admit its designed to make the other propulsion system look appealing to car manufacturers and even boost sales of them as well.
Or its actually to reduce fuel consumption and vehicle emissions. Thats the goal.

Like it or not, fuel economy is the #1 concern for buyers when surveyed, so this is a situation where what consumers want and what the regulations are driving are aligned

Old Today, 09:35 AM
dirtydriver58
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Or its actually to reduce fuel consumption and vehicle emissions. Thats the goal.

Like it or not, fuel economy is the #1 concern for buyers when surveyed, so this is a situation where what consumers want and what the regulations are driving are aligned

https://apnews.com/article/climate-e...c47803def36b76 They are buying big SUVs which actually negate any of this.
Old Today, 09:39 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,865 Likes on 2,421 Posts

Best selling vehicle in the United States
https://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/f-150

Sure people are super concerned about fuel economy. In 50 years Ford couldn't even double MPG.
Old Today, 10:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm surprised that Driving Comfort isn't a lot higher on the list (one reason why I like Buicks). Many drivers spend a LOT of time in their vehicles. Except with cars like the Mazda Miata (which is purposely-intended to be unrefined), they shouldn't have to put up with a rough ride and/or a lot of noise.
Old Today, 10:25 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 286 Likes on 203 Posts

I agree with those stats if I’m not an enthusiast and am looking for a daily driver. While comfort is important, it definitely takes a backseat to spending money (either in gas or the price of the car) and keeping you alive.
Old Today, 10:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
I agree with those stats if I’m not an enthusiast and am looking for a daily driver. While comfort is important, it definitely takes a backseat to spending money (either in gas or the price of the car) and keeping you alive.
Exactly, most people are not enthusiasts
Old Today, 10:56 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

My personal chart is pretty much inverted to that one...
Old Today, 11:07 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 977 Likes on 779 Posts

You fine folks already know what I would say.

Leather, wood trim, and chrome.
If it has that it probably has everything else I want and need. Lol
Old Today, 11:11 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 663 Likes on 414 Posts

Tougher CAFE requirements aren't a bad thing. People absolutely do want economy and reduced emissions, but they also want better performance. So manufacturers have to deliver both to stay competitive, and the engines on the market today are generally better as a result. If we didn't have CAFE standards, you'd get the performance because that's relatively cheap and easy to deliver, but not the economy because that's more difficult and more expensive. And you wouldn't be paying any less than you do today for a vehicle that does a better job today at delivering both. So regulation isn't always bad. In this case I think it's helped to drive better overall outcomes for customers.
Old Today, 12:06 PM
Felix
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 427 Posts

What are you going to use the vehicle for? Whats your needs? Pricing constraints most ppl.If I or my wife don't feel good or fit, before even driving it, I pass. High quality vs low price, LOL Possibly some ppl better have their walking shoes on. Doesn't list performance at all.Hows it perform?..The list is kinda tilted. I'd think looking at the vehicle category then go from there. Name one manufacturer that produces a high quality entry level to top tier vehicles?
Old Today, 12:26 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

That poll got only 8,400 people and was done between 2021 and 2022 when gas prices were going up.

I have advised MANY people on car purchases and not one person I know has fuel efficiency as # 1 Factor. This also may heavily depend on income, age etc.

The “true price” of ownership including depreciation will almost always outweigh how much you spend on gas.
For example, it would cost Joe Smith more $$$ to own a Model X compared to G63 because Model X doesn’t hold value while G63 is always in demand.

Obviously if you’re living paycheck to paycheck then this will not help you.
Old Today, 12:32 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Is $200 to $300 per month a huge expense?

I understand if someone drives a lot of miles for work then ofcourse it’s important but average is 12-15k miles per year for most folks. Difference between running a Prius vs a 3 series would be like $200 bucks per month.
Old Today, 12:33 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
People absolutely do want economy and reduced emissions, but they also want better performance.
That's one reason why electric cars became popular. No emissions (at least while driving)...and vastly-increased low-RPM torque from the electric motors.
Old Today, 12:48 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,209 Likes on 896 Posts

I usually buy based on....

Engine
Trans
Steering
Suspension
Chassis
Ease of service
Comfort/quietness
Interior materials and features
Audio system
Looks of the exterior
Space
Range
MPG

I don't care about MPG, I started with a car that got 9.3 then the next one barely got 15. Anything over 20 is magic to me....
Old Today, 01:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tex2670
My personal chart is pretty much inverted to that one...
You're an enthusiast.

Originally Posted by Felix
What are you going to use the vehicle for? Whats your needs? Pricing constraints most ppl.If I or my wife don't feel good or fit, before even driving it, I pass. High quality vs low price, LOL Possibly some ppl better have their walking shoes on. Doesn't list performance at all.Hows it perform?..The list is kinda tilted. I'd think looking at the vehicle category then go from there. Name one manufacturer that produces a high quality entry level to top tier vehicles?
Mazda, Toyota, Honda, Volkswagen...

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
That poll got only 8,400 people and was done between 2021 and 2022 when gas prices were going up.
Its called a representative sample.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
Is $200 to $300 per month a huge expense?

I understand if someone drives a lot of miles for work then ofcourse it’s important but average is 12-15k miles per year for most folks. Difference between running a Prius vs a 3 series would be like $200 bucks per month.
You are completely out of touch with ordinary people lol. To most Americans $200-$300 a month is a HUGE expense. I'm always astonished by how little rich people understand about what ordinary people go through with money.

Last edited by SW17LS; Today at 01:23 PM.

Quick Reply: What’s the most important factor in buying a vehicle