NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Wax

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM
Tdh
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wax

What is the best wax to use on 2023 NX F sport. Harsh Canadian winters streets can be covered with snow, ice,sand and salt at times. Temp in winters can get to -30/-40c

Also no block heater. Is that a problem in such cold temperatures.
Old Yesterday, 11:26 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,875 Likes on 2,430 Posts

Block heater is certainly nice to have it takes the strain off your engine in very cold weather. There is no best wipe on wipe off "wax" product none of them will last more than a few weeks if you want proper protection you'll need a professional grade ceramic coating. I use CQuartz UK but this product (and any ceramic coating ) requires many hours of prep work most people opt to get it done at a detail shop.

Grab yourself a magnetic engine block heater.
Old Yesterday, 11:51 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 358 Posts
Lightbulb

get ceramic coating
Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 556 Likes on 392 Posts

Professional ceramic coatings are certainly all the rage these days for long lasting effective protective coatings especially if you don't have the time or place or inclination for doing a lot of your own hands on exterior care but they can be a bit expensive for professional application (lots of DIY ceramic products at widely varying costs but I have no idea which are good or not). However, since you asked about wax and with the possibility you prefer old school hands on waxing (like me and various other dinosaurs), I've been using Mothers California Gold Brazilian Carnauba Cleaner Wax for the past several years on my cars. I apply about 2 or 3 times a year depending on conditions and it shines up nicely without too much effort (I do it by hand, can't be bothered with electric polishers) and any road dirt easily rinses off and bugs come off with only modest effort. The other day I had a thunderstorm roll thru at work and by quitting time I came out to bright sunshine and my NX looked like it had just been professionally cleaned, wow, not a water spot in sight and gleaming). At $20 at CanTire for a tin that lasts years, I figure this costs me about $5 (with fresh cloths) and 2 or 3 hrs of my time a year. Works for me...

Block heaters are a great idea for those -30C mornings. Easier start, less wear on engine, faster warmup. I myself do not use one because my home garage is insulated and rarely goes below 0C even on the coldest winter nights

Last edited by Droid13; Yesterday at 01:09 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:56 PM
romer
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 101 Posts

I've used several 'do-it-yourself' ceramic waxes. Griot's is one that's very easy to apply and buff. Does a nice job. Will last up to a year but I always did it at least twice a year, just because. More recently I've used "Adams Graphene Ceramic Spray Coating Advanced." Costs a bit more but small amount goes a long way. And it lasts.. Because I enjoy having a nice looking car(s) I apply waxes more often than called for which with ceramic just adds layerings of protection.
Old Yesterday, 01:12 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by romer
Will last up to a year...
No it won't.
Old Yesterday, 01:27 PM
romer
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 101 Posts

From CarCareReviews.net: "I’ve read reviews where people were satisfied with Griot’s 3-in-1 Ceramic Wax for up to a year, so it probably depends on the user and the conditions your vehicle has to deal with."
Old Yesterday, 01:33 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Instead of paying over $1,000 for a pro coating all you have to do is spray on a product once per year and you'll get the same protection.
The following users liked this post:
Freds430 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Received 234 Likes on 170 Posts

This is going to turn in to a regular gas or premium thread as everyone things their opinions are fact. I've had good luck with
Turtle Wax 53477 Hybrid Solutions Pro Flex Wax, Graphene Spray Wax Turtle Wax 53477 Hybrid Solutions Pro Flex Wax, Graphene Spray Wax
The following 2 users liked this post by Randyp1234:
jbrnigan (Yesterday), romer (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:45 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Originally Posted by LeX2K
...requires many hours of prep work...
Why, exactly is that if it's a brand new car?
romer (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:26 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Randyp1234
Why, exactly is that if it's a brand new car?
Almost every new car needs decontamination and at least some paint correction I'm surprised you don't know this.
https://www.autodetailing360.com/pai...ction-new-car/

Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 556 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Randyp1234
This is going to turn in to a regular gas or premium thread
There is a correlation. All cars with professional ceramic coatings require premium, all cars with DIY ceramic's premium is recommended, and all waxed cars require mid grade fuel with a touch of DEF for flavour.
romer (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM
Randyp1234
Advanced

Almost every new car needs decontamination and at least some paint correction I'm surprised you don't know this.
https://www.autodetailing360.com/pai...ction-new-car/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEDr-tT3vC4
Yeah - I've heard all that. But I don't buy it.
romer (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:31 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,120 Likes on 727 Posts

Instead of paying over $1,000 for a pro coating all you have to do is spray on a product once per year and you'll get the same protection.
Absolutely true. I use the Adam's Graphene Ceramic spray. $40 and will do eight applications. Takes 20 minutes to do.Wipe on wait two minutes wipe off. Paint has to be clean. YouTube reviews almost always rate it top gloss and longest protection. I do it every six months way overkill but so easy to apply. Beading and shine incredible.

Last edited by Freds430; Yesterday at 05:41 PM.
Old Yesterday, 05:42 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 544 Likes on 358 Posts
Lightbulb

Let me clarify, I got professional ceramic 5 year coating. do it yourself works but has much shorter life 3 months - 1 year ( maybe)

Then refresh with Optimum Rinseless Wash and wax using two microfiber towels. For application if really dirty rinse periodically in water and reapply solution
Amazon Amazon

Good Luck and Shine on

YMMV,
MidCow3
Vietnam 1969-1976

Quick Reply: Wax