SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Help ! ! ! Top not opening

Search this Thread

Old Today, 10:51 AM
Eklectika
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help ! ! ! Top not opening

NOTE: Previously posted on another thread, recommended repost and so here we go . . .

* * * UPDATE * * * LEXUS CODES - B2529 & B2521

MAIN ISSUE - CONVERTIBLE OPEN / CLOSE SWITCH - no lights, no sound, no movement, nothing . . . like it's a dead switch

LEXUS DEALER - said both RH roof lock switch assembly & the RH luggage lock actuator assembly need to be replaced - at a whopping $10K cost!!! This makes no sense to me how 2 assembly's could go bad at the same time. I do NOT have the codes (sorry). Car has 65K miles, 2004 and rarely have I driven it with the top down. Last time was probably a year ago and it worked perfectly.

ADDITIONAL INFO . . . (NOTE: car is currently @ Lexus dealer awaiting my repair decision) . . . cost for diagnosis = $200 including loaner car @ LEXUS JACKSONVILLE, FL

BATTERY - often dies due to lack of driving, very weak right now after a jump
ANTENNAE BROKEN - forced down in a car wash (recent break)
R.H. REAR VIEW MIRROR - sometimes works, sometimes not
ALL WINDOWS - working
NAVIGATION SYSTEM - not working
KEY FOB - broken so unable to test auto trunk release
FUSES - all okay
VALET BUTTON - not yet checked
HOUSED - outside, had rats in glove box air filter system approx. 7 years ago - top worked perfectly afterwards but car was still kept outside
NEVER - in a wreck
NO - I don't own a TechStream but would purchase one if I knew which unit (would purchase the plug in to my personal computer type). Found this one on EBAY . . . is it the correct one? https://www.ebay.com/itm/18635689063...3Avlp_homepage

Last edited by Eklectika; Today at 11:36 AM.
Old Today, 11:02 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 558 Likes on 425 Posts

Don't bother with the switch in the glove box since the Open/Close switch is dead. That means your roof system is malfunction. It could be very simple as just replacing the switch in the RH lift assembly, but it also could be complicated. Usually, just only one thing failed that caused the system halted. So the bottom line is you need the DTC codes to pin point the culprit. May be some members on this forum who lives near you and owns the TechSream can help. Can you ask your dealer for the code?
The following users liked this post:
Eklectika (Today)
Old Today, 11:05 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 893 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by Eklectika
NO - I don't own a TechStream but would purchase one if I knew which unit (would purchase the plug in to my personal computer type).
i would consider one of these less expensive versions, like this one. The biggest thing is to purchase the cable.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/38698698329...CNA3V6Z46XX2HA

You mentioned you found rodents in the dash by the cabin air filter, lets hope they didn’t chew wires.

others can correct me if i am wrong, but these are both micro switches, one is located in the front where the roof latches to the top of the windshield and the other would be in the trunk are where the arm attaches to the car.

BTW, my sister lives near Julington creek…they are in Lake Cunningham off of Robert’s Rd.
is your car driveable?

Last edited by Bgw70; Today at 11:43 AM.
Eklectika (Today)
Old Today, 11:25 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Loading Tech stream on your laptop…this tech stream works with our SC430s

watch this video, he makes it so easy

he provides this link in his YouTube video, but here it is.
https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/how...nutes.1034923/
Old Today, 11:48 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Maybe i missed it but is the roof open or closed?

Seems like the biggest problem is why won’t the red light come on when you try to open or close the roof?
If power is okay, you should get a blinking red light when you try to open the roof, blinking red indicating a malfunction.

Also, this is typically NOT a $10k repair.
A DIY repair should be no more than a few hundred for parts. Or it could be free if its only an adjustment or cable

do you get any alarms when you drive?
has the roof ever worked for you?
did you find the rodents after the roof stopped working?

Last edited by Bgw70; Today at 11:52 AM.
Eklectika (Today)
Old Today, 11:53 AM
Eklectika
10th Gear

Smile

Bgw70

THANKS . . . for the TechStream link . . . will get that one!

Top worked great AFTER they were in the cabin filter (momma rat birthed her baby's there! - ACK!) But it's been maybe 7 years more outside in the same area . . . so WHO KNOWS if the wires are chewed. Any easy way to tell?

I just gave my car to my oldest son a week ago NOT knowing it had these TOP issues!!! I feel awful and am trying to figure out a way to fix the car for the least amount of outlay and time on his end . . . hence me posting, making phone calls, etc., etc. Yes, his car is operational (at Lexus dealer still awaiting his p/u). Brian is new to the St. Johns area . . . lives in BEACHWALK with wife & my 4 & 6 year old grandbabes.

Old Today, 12:37 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

I would guess the wires are fine since it worked for years after the critters were evicted.

not sure purchasing TechStream will do you much good since you already paid for the trouble codes.

it seems to be electrical but it could certainly be a mechanical issue, probably caused by cycling the roof open and closed. Just normal wear and tear.

I have an idea if you are near him. Or if he wants to do it.

If you are willing, i just tested my theory on my SC430 and it worked.
its easy and might take 15min.

are you willing?
if so, i can write it down and post some pictures

Last edited by Bgw70; Today at 12:41 PM.
Eklectika (Today)
Old Today, 01:13 PM
Eklectika
10th Gear

Maybe i missed it but is the roof open or closed?
*** ROOF is closed and won't open - no sound, no flashing light on open/close switch = nothing!!!

Seems like the biggest problem is why won’t the red light come on when you try to open or close the roof?
*** I agree 100%!!! My question is WHY won't that light come on? Seems electrical to me??? Roof is CLOSED and will not budge.

If power is okay, you should get a blinking red light when you try to open the roof, blinking red indicating a malfunction.
*** Oh!?! I thought it blinked RED when pressing the button to open or close! It's been awhile - obviously.

Also, this is typically NOT a $10k repair.
A DIY repair should be no more than a few hundred for parts. Or it could be free if its only an adjustment or cable.
*** LEXUS DEALER quoted $1.5K for the replacement of : Right hand roof lock switch assembly . . . and I believe APPROX. $8K for the replacement of: Right hand luggage lock actuator assembly. NOTE: Tech said that he'd NEVER seen both go out at the same time - which causes me to question whether there is another issue causing these two parts to throw "bad" codes.

do you get any alarms when you drive?
*** I've not driven it that much but I'd have to say, no to this question. Will ask my son who drove it home from my house in Lakeland, FL to his in St. Johns.

has the roof ever worked for you?
*** It's worked perfectly since when I purchased it used in 2012 and last time I put it down in 2023.

did you find the rodents after the roof stopped working?
*** No . . . found them approx. 7 years ago . . . but has been housed in same location ever since - so who knows?

BTW . . . QUESTION? How are you all attaching your car photo & info on each post? I cannot figure it out but would like to. Please & thank you!!!

Old Today, 01:15 PM
Eklectika
10th Gear

Bgw70

are you willing?
if so, i can write it down and post some pictures

Yes . . . Please!!!!!

Last edited by Eklectika; Today at 01:22 PM.
Old Today, 01:30 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

The easy one, see pic,
click on cog/gear in upper right
then click on signature and add words and a pic

Old Today, 01:45 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

-open the trunk, remove the tool/jack cover and locate the hex/allen tool

—place this cover in its proper position and make sure it is seated correctly to open the top

Old Today, 01:56 PM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 410 Posts

BGW, what do you think about checking the roof lock fuses before hand? The dealer says both didn't respond.

It looks like there are two of them in the trunk (Fuses 32 & 34)
https://fuse-box.info/lexus/lexus-sc...001-2010-fuses
Old Today, 01:58 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

What you are going to do is release the roof locks, they are located above both Sunvisors.

-remove the plug, see first pic (i just used my finger nails and yes, they are very short)
-insert the hex tool, see second pic
-start the engine
-turn the hex tool CCW a 1/4 to 1/2 while you are watching for a solid red light, the hex tool will feel tight.

-Did the RED light illuminate?
-if no, move the hex tool back to the original position and stop.
-reinstall the plug and return the hex tool to the trunk, don’t loose it ;-)

Report back with your findings.
I have additional pics showing the location of the switches called out in the codes.

DshngDaryl (Today)
Old Today, 02:00 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DshngDaryl
BGW, what do you think about checking the roof lock fuses before hand? The dealer says both didn't respond.

It looks like there are two of them in the trunk (Fuses 32 & 34)
https://fuse-box.info/lexus/lexus-sc...001-2010-fuses
good idea, you would’ve thought they would’ve done that but yeah, its a dealer. They won’t do anything unless they are charging you.

Ann, you have a little work to do.
do what Daryl said first and if the fuses are good move on to the steps i suggested unless someone has a better idea.

Last edited by Bgw70; Today at 02:19 PM.
DshngDaryl (Today)
Old Today, 03:09 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

This is the switch above the visor
The guide pin pushes the “flapper” and engages the switch