LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-24, 06:07 AM
PianoPaul
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Air suspension

Two weeks ago, the boys and I left on a three week vacation to the south of France, a nice 1.000 mile ride in the old LS.
Unfortunately after less than 100 miles out, we were suddenly bouncing over the interstate like a carnival ride and sure enough after I pulled into a parking area, the car had turned into a low rider. Rear suspension gave up.

From what I gather, this is somewhat of an issue with the LS and original shocks require taking out a second mortgage. I saw replacement kits that get rid of (unreliable) air suspension all together but they don't seem to be available in Europe.
So next week (upon return), I scheduled an appointment with my local shop. I'm thinking of telling them to go with these puppies https://aerosus.com/xf40/lexus-ls-46...air-strut.html
They seem reasonably priced, won't mess with the button functions and should not entice any annoying dash lights to glow.
However, I would love to have input from you guys. What's the best way to go here?
Old 08-11-24, 12:35 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,292 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Most luxury brands with air can have failure. Not so much that failure is the issue, it's the cost of repair that's the issue. OEM will give you full functionality as original including interface with different drive modes and high/low button as well as automatic adjustment at highway speeds. Aftermarket won't interface. USA members have found better prices on OEM from UAE and Japan shippers. Can't speak for your location. Are you sure the shocks are bad? It could be air supply to the shocks. It can be this issue for one shock or both rears
The following users liked this post:
PianoPaul (08-12-24)
Old 08-11-24, 06:03 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 832 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by PianoPaul
Rear suspension gave up.
Or as the French would say...escargot boing boing.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gerf:
Marc780 (08-12-24), PianoPaul (08-12-24)
Old 08-11-24, 06:36 PM
LS460S2k
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is exactly what I am afraid of. Following this thread closely. OP - Is yours AWD or RWD? Do they even make or offer aftermarket air suspension for AWD models?
Could you not just get some decent coilovers?
Old 08-12-24, 02:41 AM
PianoPaul
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by swfla
Most luxury brands with air can have failure.
Agreed. I therefore think it's not a bad idea at all to just take it out all together. Saw some company in SC that supplies full conversion kits, but doesn't ship to EU. Might have gone for that.
Are you sure the shocks are bad? It could be air supply to the shocks. It can be this issue for one shock or both rears
No, I'm not sure at all. I find it odd that both rear struts would die simultaneously. Why isn't it hanging sideways?
But TBH, I'm clueless as you can tell. Is there some kind of compressor that controls the bounce? Can I make it a real lowrider? Would be fun
Old 08-12-24, 02:50 AM
PianoPaul
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LS460S2k
This is exactly what I am afraid of. Following this thread closely. OP - Is yours AWD or RWD? Do they even make or offer aftermarket air suspension for AWD models?
Could you not just get some decent coilovers?
Mine is a RWD. The link I provided has both.
Here is the link to the replacement kit I mentioned https://www.strutmasters.com/a/blog/...0vyrp3cg-e_sTJ. That one doesn't seem to come in AWD, but I didn't look into it closely.
Old 08-12-24, 05:34 AM
JohnnyC407
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Check Triple Creations on Ebay. I got a front air shock from them. OEM for $850 with shipping. Had it for over a year now and works great.

Took me about 90 min to install by myself. Easy. 60 if you had a friend help. Just get an alignment after. You probably need to adjust the ride height sensor as well. Only takes 10 min or so.

Items for sale by triplecreationsautoparts | eBay
Old 08-14-24, 08:59 PM
LS460S2k
2nd gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would you be open to air suspension delete? I found this option that seem to get decent reviews:

https://d2bdmotorwerks.com/i-2389654...-usf45-46.html

https://shop-fortune-auto.com/produc...ries-coilovers

Fortune 500 are apparently rebuildable

Strutmasters also gets decent reviews. Not an option for me (AWD) but they work for RWD.

PianoPaul (08-20-24)
Old 08-15-24, 05:56 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Air supply lines can fail at different points, if one strut fails, then it is likely the strut is the issue. When both fail, much less likely and requires more diagnosis. The air pump is under the hood with computer controls . There is also manual height adjustments under the car and a good bump of big puddle could loosen them. Would hate to see you spend any money unitil you know exactly what you need in the way of parts. Going the air delete is something members have done and seem satisfied. It's budget friendly. As you've read above, awd is a different animal than rwd. Most independent Japanese car shops can help you diagnose the problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by swfla:
bobusa (08-16-24), PianoPaul (08-20-24)
Old 08-20-24, 05:12 AM
PianoPaul
Driver School Candidate

Default Update

I brought the car to my local shop yesterday. Just spoke with the mechanic and he's out of ideas.
The problem is indeed with the air itself and not with the shocks. This does explain why the rear end is down completely and it's not lobsided. It does not explain why the front end is still up.
The compressor is working. There is a line running from the compressor to a manifold, which distributes air to the front, but apparently not to the back.
He is going to consult with some guys from Toyota to get a better understanding.

I think the coilover, as suggested by @LS4602K and @swfla might be the best way to go given the age of the car and the general PitA which is air-suspension, but I can't find any suppliers in Europe, let alone the Netherlands. The LS was never a very popular car here which makes a very small after-market market.
D2BD ships to Australia, but not to Europe. Was it something we said?
Old 08-20-24, 05:26 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

I'm not an expert. But there is an air management system. More than just a central manifold. Once the problem is found, it's likely an affordable repair compared to a 4 way delete with 4 standard shocks. and springs. Too bad there's minimal vendors available to you. Amayama in Japan may ship to you.
Old 08-20-24, 05:34 AM
PianoPaul
Driver School Candidate

Once the problem is found, it's likely an affordable repair compared to a 4 way delete with 4 standard shocks. and springs.
Yes, that's the good news. Still think sooner or later I'll have to bite the bullet. If I find a supplier that ships to Holland, I think I'll order a set just to have it.
Old 08-20-24, 06:46 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 832 Likes on 615 Posts

Originally Posted by PianoPaul
The problem is indeed with the air itself and not with the shocks. This does explain why the rear end is down completely and it's not lobsided. It does not explain why the front end is still up.
The compressor is working. There is a line running from the compressor to a manifold, which distributes air to the front, but apparently not to the back.
He is going to consult with some guys from Toyota to get a better understanding.
I don't know how you can rule out the shocks if they are collapsed but here's a diagram that might help.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
air sus schematic.pdf (376.1 KB, 13 views)
PianoPaul (08-20-24)
Old 08-20-24, 07:59 AM
PianoPaul
Driver School Candidate

Default Update #2

Originally Posted by Gerf
I don't know how you can rule out the shocks if they are collapsed but here's a diagram that might help.
Can't rule them out, but why would they both collapse at the same time? Thanks to your diagram, my guess is that the 'rear height control valve' is out. This is also what the mechanic suspects.

Now the next problem is that apparently Lexus doesn't supply the part anymore. Grumble, grumble. By chance anyone here have the part number so that I can make some calls myself tomorrow?

He did find a suspension conversion kit inc. electronics bypass, but he's reluctant to go with it, mainly because he doesn't know what to expect. Possibly we'll have no other option.
Old 08-20-24, 08:01 AM
PianoPaul
Driver School Candidate

Staring at the schematic it blows my mind that there are so many sensors and not a single warning light on the dash.

Quick Reply: Air suspension