IS - 2nd Gen (2006-2013) Discussion about the 2006+ model IS models

Car will not start

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-24 | 07:42 PM
ewill23nm
10th Gear

Default Car will not start

I had some issues getting the car to go into park that I have recently resolved. The car hadn't been started in about two weeks because it won't start if it is not in park. Now when I go to start the car all the lights turn on inside, the radio works, etc....... but when I hit the button, nothing. It does make a sound, like some electronic sound for a few seconds(not sure how to describe it but it sounds normal). The check engine light is on and the battery light is on. I did try to jump the battery, but no luck with that either. Any ideas?
Old 08-12-24 | 08:27 PM
Nevada
Driver

If you disconnected the battery while the ignition was on, the security modules will be out of sync.

Switch the ignition "off". Close the doors, lock then unlock the doors using the smart key. Next enter the car and try the start button.
Old 08-12-24 | 08:49 PM
ewill23nm
10th Gear

Just tried it, and no luck.
Old 08-12-24 | 08:53 PM
Nevada
Driver

Does the shift indicator on the dash show the transmission in park? Sufficient battery power?
Old 08-12-24 | 09:11 PM
ewill23nm
10th Gear

It does show that it is in park. It seems to have sufficient battery power, I even jumped it with my truck just to make sure.
Old 08-14-24 | 01:46 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Do the brake lights work when you press the pedal? There is an interlock tied to the brake pedal for starting.
Old 08-14-24 | 02:37 PM
ewill23nm
10th Gear

The brake lights do light up when I depress the brake to start the car. Brake pedal is very stiff though, not sure if that is normal or not.
Old 08-15-24 | 09:39 AM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Neutral and park can be used for starting the car. Did you try Neutral? And what exactly happened with the shifter and what was done to resolve it? Details please.
if the engine moves fore/aft for any reason, the mechanical linkage from the shift console to the transmission may need adjustment. The there is the Neutral Safety switch on trans that has a very simple alignment procedure.
Old 08-15-24 | 07:32 PM
ewill23nm
10th Gear

I have not tried to start it in neutral, but I will. Step daughter arrived at work, and was unable to put the car into park. I had her disconnect the battery so she could shut the car off, then had it towed home. Eventually I went under the car and found that where the shifter connects to the shift linkage bar(or whatever its called had torn a hole into what I believe is a heat shield made out of a thin sheet of metal. I fixed that, and can now get the car to go into park, but now it will not start.
Old 08-16-24 | 08:40 AM
Protholl
Instructor

So you can get it to go in park and neutral that's good progress. I'm curious as I don't know exactly how the sensors work because I have a manual transmission but does the transmission lever position match up with the gear indicator in the dash for each gear? I'm thinking maybe even though the shift handle is moving the car doesn't "think" its in park/neutral. Just spitballing here of course.

Last edited by Protholl; 08-16-24 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-16-24 | 02:35 PM
2013FSport
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ewill23nm
I have not tried to start it in neutral, but I will. Step daughter arrived at work, and was unable to put the car into park. I had her disconnect the battery so she could shut the car off, then had it towed home. Eventually I went under the car and found that where the shifter connects to the shift linkage bar(or whatever its called had torn a hole into what I believe is a heat shield made out of a thin sheet of metal. I fixed that, and can now get the car to go into park, but now it will not start.
Originally Posted by Protholl
So you can get it to go in park and neutral that's good progress. I'm curious as I don't know exactly how the sensors work because I have a manual transmission but does the transmission lever position match up with the gear indicator in the dash for each gear? I'm thinking maybe even though the shift handle is moving the car doesn't "think" its in park/neutral. Just spitballing here of course.

OP the short answer is the mechanical adjustment made when the linkage fell apart, needs adjusted again. Well, unless there is more to the story?

My advice is as follows.
Get the car in the air and blocked securely, engine Off!!
See bold text before continuing.
Shift car into neutral, crawl under it with a set of small drill bits in hand. Locate the lever on the trans and the Neutral Safety Switch (nss). Locate the small hole in the lever and slip the largest drill bit into the hole (~1/16" or bigger), see if bit will enter nss. If it does not, loosen the adjuster nut on the linkage without shifting trans into drive or reverse.
Try and push bit into hole. If bit goes into nss, the switch is correctly adjusted on the trans. If it does not enter fully, the nss needs adjusted. Loosen the two bolts and rotate the switch until bit enters and tighten bolts.
With trans and shift linkage both in Neutral, tighten the linkage nut. The linkage should not be under strain in either direction when the nut it tightened.

Verify operation. It should start in P, N and lights should operate correctly.

Be safe... A helper is useful to verify it stays in N when making adjustments.
Old 08-18-24 | 09:53 AM
ewill23nm
10th Gear

Tried to start it in neutral, but same response from the car.
Old 08-18-24 | 11:14 AM
Protholl
Instructor

Originally Posted by ewill23nm
Tried to start it in neutral, but same response from the car.
Did you complete what 2013FSport suggested?
Old 08-18-24 | 12:08 PM
ewill23nm
10th Gear

Figured it out. When my step daughter could not get the car into park, one of her friends disconnected the battery in order to shut the car off. For whatever reason he disconnected some other wire that connects to the positive side of the battery. I didn't notice when I reconnected the battery. Once I connected that wire, it started right up.
Old 08-18-24 | 12:31 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Good to hear. If you have a minute might you take a picture of the wire and post it? It might help someone else with a similar problem.