LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

overtightened Valve cover gasket bolts

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:45 AM
Gaberomero
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default overtightened Valve cover gasket bolts

I replaced the valve cover gaskets but I overtightened the bolts using 1/4" impact gun, idiot moment for me, just got a lot going on and had a dughhhh moment I guess.

My question is, can I just loosen them and torque them to spec or could the gasket be crushed?

Last edited by Gaberomero; Yesterday at 12:46 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:32 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 370 Likes on 321 Posts

The bolts usually loosen once A) the engine heat cycles a few times and B) the gasket takes a set. It’s good practice to re-tighten them all after a few days for that reason. They can be surprisingly loose a few days after installation.

So Sure, you can back them of and re-tighten. Or drive it a few days and do it then - you will then not have to worry about a + b above.

The following users liked this post:
Gaberomero (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:10 AM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 825 Likes on 608 Posts

How do you know you over tightened them? .

Last edited by Gerf; Yesterday at 06:17 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:12 AM
Gaberomero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gerf
How do you know you over tightened them? .
I used a 1/4" cordless gun over hand tighten.
Old Yesterday, 08:20 AM
Gaberomero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oro
The bolts usually loosen once A) the engine heat cycles a few times and B) the gasket takes a set. It’s good practice to re-tighten them all after a few days for that reason. They can be surprisingly loose a few days after installation.

So Sure, you can back them of and re-tighten. Or drive it a few days and do it then - you will then not have to worry about a + b above.
What if I drive it and they dont back off? I am worried the gaskets may be crushed. Is that something I should even worry about?

Last edited by Gaberomero; Yesterday at 02:12 PM.
Old Yesterday, 12:24 PM
Gaberomero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oro

will the bolts loosen even if they were tightened on with 1/4" impact gun?? And that being the case, can I just loosen and re-tighten the bolts with no damage to the gaskets??
Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM
Oro
Racer

Originally Posted by Gaberomero
will the bolts loosen even if they were tightened on with 1/4" impact gun?? And that being the case, can I just loosen and re-tighten the bolts with no damage to the gaskets??
It depends upon what you set the gun to. On my 3/8” gun, “1” is generally 15lbs or less. If that’s what you did you should be fine. If you used a bigger gun, higher setting - back it off and re-tighten. The guns don’t deliver a guaranteed torque, it’s just a guess. These bolts don’t have crush washers on them like some Lexus ones used to; you can back them off and re-tighten if you feel the need to do so.
Old Yesterday, 01:23 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,224 Likes on 910 Posts

*eats popcorn*
The following users liked this post:
Protholl (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM
Gaberomero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oro
It depends upon what you set the gun to. On my 3/8” gun, “1” is generally 15lbs or less. If that’s what you did you should be fine. If you used a bigger gun, higher setting - back it off and re-tighten. The guns don’t deliver a guaranteed torque, it’s just a guess. These bolts don’t have crush washers on them like some Lexus ones used to; you can back them off and re-tighten if you feel the need to do so.
I meant the gaskets would they be crushed by any chance? I used my snap on cordless impact 1/4 no settings"..
thanks for helping.

Last edited by Gaberomero; Yesterday at 03:51 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:41 PM
Gaberomero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oro
I'm concerned about the actual valve cover gaskets being crushed and having to deal with the one vc bolt under the fuel line on each side that's super hard to get to if I need to back the bolts up and re torque em. Also the pain in the a## rear bolt on driver side near firewall on the bottom. Your input is appreciated. I've got a little time a couple days, since I ordered the HOSE VENTILATION for both sides. They were almost impossible to get off and both cracked. VENTILAT, VENTILATION
Old Today, 12:14 AM
Oro
Racer

Why not test what the torque actually is? Take a torque wrench, break one open - or just do it by feel. There may be no problem here.

I don’t see a huge issue here. Alternatively, you could take it all off. Re-seat the gasket, dressing it with some Aviation #3 on each face, and re-installing the covers. The Aviation will fill and seal the gasket-to-face contact. I do this anyway on all critical gaskets like valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, etc. to prevent leaks. It works wonderfully.
Old Today, 12:31 AM
Gaberomero
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oro
Why not test what the torque actually is? Take a torque wrench, break one open - or just do it by feel. There may be no problem here.

I don’t see a huge issue here. Alternatively, you could take it all off. Re-seat the gasket, dressing it with some Aviation #3 on each face, and re-installing the covers. The Aviation will fill and seal the gasket-to-face contact. I do this anyway on all critical gaskets like valve covers, oil pans, timing covers, etc. to prevent leaks. It works wonderfully.
yeah I think I'm a bit paranoid because I rushed a little. I'm going to check the actual torque tomorrow with torque wrench to see where I'm at and go from there. I was also afraid of breaking any loose for fear of causing a leak with the torque sequence issue. Thanks Oro.