NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Inaccurate Dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-24, 04:54 AM
NYNX350
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inaccurate Dipstick

Hello,I was doing my first oil change on my '24 NX350 F-Sport yesterday and noticed that the dipstick indicated it was overfilled from the factory. After letting the oil drain for an hour, I refilled the pan with 5 quarts of Mobil 1, figuring I'd slightly underfill it to be safe. I then warmed up the engine and let it sit for about 10 mins for the oil to drain back down, and when I checked again (multiple times, wiping the dipstick in between), the oil level was still above the second dimple. Has anyone else had this experience? I really hope this is just user error or a bad dipstick and that I'm not damaging my engine by actually overfilling it.

Old 08-13-24, 06:54 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 419 Posts

I've done 3 oil changes myself so far on mine. I'm usually filling up by adding a little, checking, adding a little, checking, etc probably 4 or 5 times very gradually bringing the level up to the top mark, so I'm not actually measuring the amount going in, just using the dipstick as a guide. The last time however I got a little cocky. I had already probably 3/4 filled it but there was nothing yet showing on the stick so I put in what I estimate was another 1.5L (1.3qrt) which is the difference between bottom and top dipstick marks and when I checked it, yea, it was over the top mark. I was a bit surprised how fast the level increased from not even showing to over when I just added what should have brought the level from the first dot to the second. Usually while the car is up on the ramps I aim for the middle so I can start up, check things out, warm up the oil a bit, then bring it off the ramps to check and fill it up to the top mark when its level. I figure since the level wasn't even showing on the stick yet the extra 1.5L should bring it to the middle, nope. Strange. Next time I will go back to my more typical add a wee bit at a time.

In any case I'm not worried about a bit of overfill though, it would take quite a bit of extra oil to really cause issues. If a modest overfill was that much of an issue, there would be a lot of cars out there having engine issues and I very rarely hear about it. My wife has a Forester and my daughter has our oid Crosstrek so I spend a lot of time on Subaru forums as well. So many people there worried about oil overfills. It seems every single Subaru comes out of the factory overfilled (and from dealer changes as well) and given the boxer's engine layout it would be more susceptible to excess oil encroaching into the cylinders, but for an inline engine like in the NX the oil level has to raise sufficiently to make serious contact with the crankshaft before any foaming would occur. I saw an interesting video where some YTers took a 4 cyl engine and modified the side of the engine to put in a large plastic viewport and then made their own oil pan out of clear plastic as well. They then proceeded to show what the oil looked like when the engine was running, and gradually increased the amount of oil until it was very overfilled (probably double to triple normal capacity to the point where the oil level was covering the crankshaft at rest and when running the entire crankcase became a foam machine and oil foam started coming out the top of the engine). It wasn't until they had overfilled by 3 qts or so before the oil started to begin to foam from the trashing by the crankshaft. Obviously it was a different engine and also strictly for entertainment value, but it was interesting to see. An extra 1/2 qrt isn't going to hurt anything.
The following users liked this post:
NYNX350 (08-13-24)
Old 08-13-24, 08:58 AM
Amigo
Rookie

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts

Wow ! that dipstick is hard to read with new clean oil. When I put in the dipstick in for a second read right away it was covered with oil, impossible to read. Seems like the narrow dipstick tube helps coat most of the dipstick when inserted a second time immediately.
I like to check my oil hot but in this case it may be best to check in the morning after the oil has settled. Ha - or what til its dirty, easier to see
Old 08-13-24, 09:23 AM
Droid13
Racer

Received 599 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by Amigo
Wow ! that dipstick is hard to read with new clean oil.
LOL, yes sir! Its been a month since my last change and its still very difficult for me to read the dipstick. I don't like it.
Amigo (08-13-24)
Old 08-13-24, 09:42 AM
midcow3
Racer

Received 635 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Amigo
Wow ! that dipstick is hard to read with new clean oil. When I put in the dipstick in for a second read right away it was covered with oil, impossible to read. Seems like the narrow dipstick tube helps coat most of the dipstick when inserted a second time immediately.
I like to check my oil hot but in this case it may be best to check in the morning after the oil has settled. Ha - or what til its dirty, easier to see
Originally Posted by Droid13
LOL, yes sir! Its been a month since my last change and its still very difficult for me to read the dipstick. I don't like it.
When you get old, your eyesight is the third thing to go. When you get cataract surgery , it helps especially with the multi-focus lens ...then you can change oil again

YMMV,
MidCow3
Amigo (08-13-24)
Old 08-14-24, 05:14 AM
toyotaman7
Racer

Received 598 Likes on 418 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by midcow3
When you get old, your eyesight is the third thing to go. When you get cataract surgery , it helps especially with the multi-focus lens ...then you can change oil again

YMMV,
MidCow3
I forgot what the first 2 things are
Old 08-14-24, 05:20 AM
Tinkertech
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Make sure you have the correct dipstick in your car. Check P/N.

My mom's civic some how ended up with the wrong length dipstick durning a dealership oil change, always read way over filled.
Old 08-14-24, 08:20 AM
John89
Pit Crew

Received 82 Likes on 57 Posts

The RX does same exact thing which would make sense as same engine, it always shows just like yours. I have watched them drain it to nothing as they were working two cars at once so plenty of time to drip out. I bring my own oil to dealer which is the exact amount and as per you it was even less, still have had this result after re checking it. It is strange, but at least you know what you put in it and it would take a lot of oil to cause any real issues you would see smoke if it was that bad.

Old 08-14-24, 10:51 AM
TheCDN
Intermediate

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Here's from manual pg 719 of 2022 (higher oil capacity) With filter 4.8 qt. (4.5 L, 4.0 Imp. qt.)

and 2024 manual pg 730 (lower capacity) With filter 4.5 qt. (4.3 L, 3.8 Imp. qt.)

Both require less than 5 quarts of oil for refill. I would stop at 4 quarts or 4 Litres and wait 10 minutes on level ground then top up slowly and wait a few minutes again for it to make it into pan.

Old 08-14-24, 11:12 AM
NYNX350
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheCDN
Here's from manual pg 719 of 2022 (higher oil capacity) With filter 4.8 qt. (4.5 L, 4.0 Imp. qt.)

and 2024 manual pg 730 (lower capacity) With filter 4.5 qt. (4.3 L, 3.8 Imp. qt.)

Both require less than 5 quarts of oil for refill. I would stop at 4 quarts or 4 Litres and wait 10 minutes on level ground then top up slowly and wait a few minutes again for it to make it into pan.

That's weird, my manual quotes 5.6 qts of 0W-20. Are you sure this isn't the manual for the hybrid engines? Here's my manual.

Old 08-14-24, 11:51 AM
TheCDN
Intermediate

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by NYNX350
That's weird, my manual quotes 5.6 qts of 0W-20. Are you sure this isn't the manual for the hybrid engines? Here's my manual.

Hmm, well my bad! Yes I have a '22 350h and I was certain that all the ICE throughout the lineup are the same, 2.5 L 4-cylinder (A25A-FXS), just hybrids have their hybrid 'stuff' attached to drivetrain. Also I thought all were using 0W-16 not 0W-20. And last but not least, all would have the same size oil pan and total oil volume!

Sorry if I've put my foot in my mouth, but I just learned something I guess!
Old 08-14-24, 12:25 PM
kukudm
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

Did you check both side of the dipstick? If yes, did they show the same oil level?
Old 08-14-24, 02:33 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb confused ? is fluid self leveling or not ?

Originally Posted by kukudm
Did you check both side of the dipstick? If yes, did they show the same oil level?
Yes but, one side was very dark like it needed to be changed and the other side was light ...but they were both the same level. Now i am confused So one side of my dip stick feeds two cylinders and the other side feeds the other 2. How do I change only the oil of the dirty oil side ?

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 08-14-24, 03:42 PM
kukudm
Pit Crew

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts

When checking, was the car parked on a level/flat ground? Or on a slight incline?

The dark color showing with clear color is a little interesting. Was the dipstick wiped down clean and re-check? Did it show same color (dark & clear separate like that)?
Old 08-14-24, 04:00 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by kukudm
When checking, was the car parked on a level/flat ground? Or on a slight incline?

The dark color showing with clear color is a little interesting. Was the dipstick wiped down clean and re-check? Did it show same color (dark & clear separate like that)?
I have to park on a sideways slope. It seems to follow when I park forwards or backwards. I usually park forwards so I won't get and illegal parking ticket but I still have to watch the street cleaning days. Does a slope park have and effect on the dip stick reading ?

YMMV,
MidCow3

P.S. - What if I have to use a different brand of oil to top off ?

Quick Reply: Inaccurate Dipstick