Lexus 50,000 Mile Service Gone Wild

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-24 | 02:21 PM
summerst
10th Gear

Default Lexus 50,000 Mile Service Gone Wild

Just got my car back from the dealership. Here are the services I declined:

Brake Fluid Condition (Fluid Exchange due every 30K): $204.90
Replace Battery as CCA below spec and state of health very low, original battery: $274.90
Cabin Ventilation Filter Replace (Dirty/Debris present): $115.90
Throttle Body Condition (Perform Fuel Induction Service): $218.62
I declined everything not knowing why the brake fluid needs to be "exchanged" or the justification for a Fuel Induction Service.
I said no to everything as I replaced the cabin filter the day before I took the car into service and even dated the new filter in case they checked.
Well, they didn't.
I'll replace the battery myself even though its not giving me any issues (I intend to go with a 27F to replace the 24F if BJs has one on the shelf).
Looking for thoughts about the brake fluid and fuel induction service. I never did either on my 2004 GX470 (with 140K). Both sound like snake oil.
This dealership was just bought by a big chain out of the south and this was my first experience with the new owners. Looks like they are trying to quickly recover their investment.

Old 08-14-24 | 02:53 PM
mike202
Intermediate

I declined everything not knowing why the brake fluid needs to be "exchanged" or the justification for a Fuel Induction Service.
On the brake fluid, it is hydroscopic so it will absorb moisture over time which can cause corrosion. You can check the brake fluid condition with these test strips:
Amazon Amazon

If it is bad, there are many DIY videos out there:

On the throttle body, carbon does build up which can cause a rough idle. This is an easy DIY project.

The following users liked this post:
Hrocks (08-19-24)
Old 08-14-24 | 02:59 PM
FastTurtle
Intermediate

Sounds like a normal dealership to me 😆
The following 2 users liked this post by FastTurtle:
BradTank (08-14-24), LatinLS430 (08-14-24)
Old 08-14-24 | 03:13 PM
mketz747
Driver School Candidate

From my experience, dealerships base some services on mileage rather than actually looking at the part or service in question. The brake fluid replacement and cabin filter are 50k services per the maintenance manual. I’m sure, as in your case they didn’t look at or test anything.You have to be vigilant when dealerships recommend anything.
Old 08-14-24 | 03:20 PM
BradTank
Racer

All pretty standard for a dealership. Lots of wallet flushes or services you could perform yourself easily.

They also will almost always say you need new brakes, even if you dont.
kgbagent1 (08-15-24)
Old 08-14-24 | 03:25 PM
summerst
10th Gear

Originally Posted by mketz747
From my experience, dealerships base some services on mileage rather than actually looking at the part or service in question. The brake fluid replacement and cabin filter are 50k services per the maintenance manual. I’m sure, as in your case they didn’t look at or test anything.You have to be vigilant when dealerships recommend anything.
Agree. But the ticket they wrote up said the cabin was “dirty” and full of “debris”. This implies that they looked. They did not. If they had, they would have seen that I dated the new filter.
CFAI (08-16-24)
Old 08-14-24 | 04:06 PM
Misteracng
Pit Crew

Seems pretty standard for a dealership, that fuel induction service is at every Lexus dealership maybe Toyota too, sometimes it sounds like they throw some fuel treatment in, hence why I never go ti the dealer for service, even the free ones because I don’t want by filter housing wrenched on to ridiculous levels. Brake fluid should be flushed every few years that’s good though. Even throttle body cleaning should be done but it would seem like 50k is way too early to need it, maybe 100k plus. Of course dealer never offers a trans drain and fill or living the propeller shafts which you might actually need. lol, cause that is real work.
Old 08-14-24 | 06:04 PM
summerst
10th Gear

This may be my last trip to the dealer. I have a good mechanic that took care of my 2004 GX470 for many years. I guess it’s time to cut bait with the dealer and go back to my mechanic. He is 120 miles away since I moved but that is no longer an obstacle. Besides, I am no longer working.
MrTorgue (08-14-24)
Old 08-15-24 | 07:03 AM
nuclearn8
Instructor

yes to the brake fluid. that needs done regularly for optimal performance. Not at that dealer though considering they failed your check.

I often do the same thing if I have to take the vehicle in... usually I give a test to a new dealership each time we move. let them do the state inspection and tire rotation. (I mark the inside of wheels in a manner only I would recognize) to see if they actually did rotate them. If they rotated them then they can be trusted, if they didn't then I never go back.
Old 08-15-24 | 08:09 AM
Misteracng
Pit Crew

I have gone to different car brand dealers over the years. It seems german brands like audi,bmw,mercedes dont add extra stuff, but I think thats because there regular services are so expensive, there is no need, lol. Even a basic oil change service goes for hundreds of dollars to well over a thousand. Lexus seems always recommends things not on the actual maintenance list like this fuel service to pad the price. What I do find is that a simple local shop where the mechanic is the guy you talk to and does the work does a great job. They are more likely to do what you ask for and are way cheaper. For cars liek the GX, things are simple to do, but newer cars with all the electronics are becoming hard to work on without a bunch of expensive equipment. GX/LX/4runner of this generation are very owner friendly for most basic service and easy for a mechanic to do as well.
Old 08-16-24 | 03:40 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Everyone keeps saying it is standard for dealerships, but I just brought my GX in to an independent shop for an inspection before my extended warranty runs out and I got a similar upsell. I wanted to make sure there wasn't anything major that needed to get done from an independent party before I bring it to the dealer.
After the inspection they handed me a list of $1,800 in 'suggested' services that included
1) Engine Air Filter $70 - that I had just changed 8 weeks ago
2) Cabin filter for $111!!!! - that I also changed 8 weeks ago
3) Coolant drain/flush $250 - I just had my radiator replaced from the dealership 4 months ago so all that fluid is 4 months old.
4) Brake fluid flush $200 - this could be useful, I will ask dealer to check as well
5) Fuel injection system service - this was like $240 - but these engines are port injections so unless I am wrong, pretty sure carbon isn't going to be an issue.
6) Tranny drain and fill for $350 - this maybe have been a good idea but since I am at 110k I am not going to risk it (I know there are two schools of thought)
7) Service Diff fluid $300 - I did this about 25k miles ago. I prob can go another year or so I imagine.

I was kind of hoping I would like this shop since I was thinking I would take it somewhere else after the warranty is done - but while my dealership experience isn't perfect, in five years in going there they never tried to upsell me stuff I don't need.
Old 08-16-24 | 05:34 PM
Misteracng
Pit Crew

I would say that perhaps this shop may not be the best for you. If you go to any shop/dealer for a problem of course you will need a diagnosis and see if you trust what they are saying. For maintenance, I would do it differently. You can just look inside your owners manual. IF you just follow the severe service recommendations you will be set. Basically oil/filter 5k, engine/cabin filter 30k, diffs 30k, lube propeller shafts 10k, transmission drain and fill 30k, coolant 30-60k, brake fluid 3 years, 1 bottle of techron complete system cleaner every oil change if you want. Thats about it. If you dont work on your care, you can at least change the engine air and cabin filter for a few bucks on your own. This may be slightly excess maintenance but it will not be bad to do. The prices they are charging dont seem that high, but the question is do you need these services at this time. They may just be telling you want it says to do at your mileage, they probably did not actually check anything. Checking filters and fluids is kinda pointless anyway because looking at it won't necessarily tell you the condition.
FastTurtle (08-16-24)
Old 08-16-24 | 08:28 PM
CFAI
Instructor

Originally Posted by Misteracng
I would say that perhaps this shop may not be the best for you. If you go to any shop/dealer for a problem of course you will need a diagnosis and see if you trust what they are saying. For maintenance, I would do it differently. You can just look inside your owners manual. IF you just follow the severe service recommendations you will be set. Basically oil/filter 5k, engine/cabin filter 30k, diffs 30k, lube propeller shafts 10k, transmission drain and fill 30k, coolant 30-60k, brake fluid 3 years, 1 bottle of techron complete system cleaner every oil change if you want. Thats about it. If you dont work on your care, you can at least change the engine air and cabin filter for a few bucks on your own. This may be slightly excess maintenance but it will not be bad to do. The prices they are charging dont seem that high, but the question is do you need these services at this time. They may just be telling you want it says to do at your mileage, they probably did not actually check anything. Checking filters and fluids is kinda pointless anyway because looking at it won't necessarily tell you the condition.
I just brought the GX in to get it inspected for any oil leaks or any failing components that would be covered under LEXUS warranty. I was upfront with them why I was bring the GX in for inspection, and I let them know that I service it every 5k/6months at the dealer since I have owned it - 5 years now. I paid for the inspection, about $200 - which is totally fine. I don't mind paying for people's time, esp when I am asking for the work. They found nothing wrong with the GX - which also makes me feel better that the dealer likely made the appropriate warranty repairs (radiator, water pump, timing chain plate leak etc.)
What I was surprised about was seeing then try to sell me $1,800 of general maintenance services. When I went to pick it up I had to decline all the service and wait around as the deleted each one from the bill. So the default was that it was on the bill. To be fair, there was zero drama in removing it, but to make it the default is pretty weak. If they didn't do that, I almost certainly would have considered using them in the future since they are so much closer to me.

WRT to service, yeah I replace the engine and cabin filters myself. I have the done oil every approx. 5k/6m months at dealer (they usually have a $25 off coupon so it isn't too insanely over priced). I'm skipping Tranny bc that ship prob sailed 30k miles ago and now I will just let sleeping dogs lie - if tranny fails several years down the line and GX still in good shape I guess I will just buy a reman one for $3 to 4k.
I will prob just stick with the dealer going forward. Its not like the prices are that much different - plus free loaner makes it way easier if car needs to be left, and I have gotten some Lexus corporate good will in the past for stuff out of or not covered by warranty - I assume bc I have had good service history with dealer.