RX - 2nd Gen (2004-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2004 -2009 RX330, RX350 and RX400H models

P0031 and P0051 Codes - Coincidence???

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-24, 08:56 PM
MrBlueSky
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default P0031 and P0051 Codes - Coincidence???

Today I had a new stereo and related accessories installed on my RX350 (2009 with 113K miles). About an hour after leaving the installation shop my dash popped up with the CEL, traction control and VSC warning lights. A scan revealed both P0031 (Bank 1, Sensor 1) and P0051 (Bank 2, Sensor 1) error codes indicating the "Heater Control Circuit Low." I reset the CEL's 3 times and within a mile or roughly 5 minutes of driving the lights will come back on with the same error codes. I understand the O2 sensors can fail and with my high mileage are likely overdue. I was surprised however that both banks would fail at the same time. Is it likely for both to fail at the same time? Could anything the stereo installer did have caused this to happen? From my online reading I am wondering if something happened to the ECM but I don't understand it well enough to know if that is something to explore. I appreciate any assistance. TIA, Todd

Last edited by MrBlueSky; Yesterday at 08:44 AM.
Old 08-14-24, 09:04 PM
Leeper
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBlueSky
Today I had a new stereo and related accessories installed on my RX350 (2009 with 113K miles). About an hour after leaving the installation shop my dash popped up with the CEL, traction control and VSC warning lights. A scan revealed both P0031 (Bank 1, Sensor 1) and P0051 (Bank 2, Sensor 1) error codes indicating the "Heater Control Circuit Low." I reset the CEL's 3 times and within a mile or roughly 5 minutes of driving the lights will come back on with the same error codes. I understand the O2 sensors can fail and with my high mileage are likely overdue. I was surprised however that both banks would fail at the same time. Is it likely for both to fail at the same time? Could anything the stereo installer did have caused this to happen? From my online reading I am wondering if something happened to the ECM but I don't understand it well enough to know if that is something to explore. I appreciate any assistance. TIA, Todd
Could very well be more battery voltage if they left the doors open for any extended period of time that is very common. Do you buy chance have a battery charger or maintainer you can use overnight?
Old 08-14-24, 11:08 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 985 Likes on 784 Posts

One code may be coincidence but two codes?
No way. Lol

If they put in a new stereo they may have pulled fuses or who knows what

Check out the other members post above first

Next, I'd go over their work with a fine toothed comb and check all the fuses and see if any are missing and if they did a power tap in the fuse box for the new deck and messed something up.

When in doubt, always check your work.
In this case, check the last guy's work. Lol
The following users liked this post:
MrBlueSky (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:12 AM
Mesquite77
Advanced

Received 237 Likes on 193 Posts

First off, these are not O2 sensors, they are A/F sensors, and are quite different. Looking at the wiring diagram, these 2 A/F sensors share the +B (12V plus, yellow wire) hot connection, then the yellow wire goes the the A/F relay. So I would suspect something with that relay, or the connections to it.

MrBlueSky (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:22 AM
Mesquite77
Advanced

The grounds for the A/F relay are shared with the EFI relay, so if the car is running, they are likely ok. The hot to trigger the A/F relay violet wire, does indeed end up at a fuse as suggested above:

MrBlueSky (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:21 AM
MrBlueSky
10th Gear

"Could very well be more battery voltage if they left the doors open for any extended period of time that is very common. Do you buy chance have a battery charger or maintainer you can use overnight?"

Thank you "Leeper" for the suggestion. Per your suggestion, I put the battery charger on and it immediately posted a battery full message. I set up maintainer mode and have it running now.

Old Yesterday, 08:27 AM
MrBlueSky
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Margate330
One code may be coincidence but two codes?
No way. Lol

If they put in a new stereo they may have pulled fuses or who knows what

Check out the other members post above first

Next, I'd go over their work with a fine toothed comb and check all the fuses and see if any are missing and if they did a power tap in the fuse box for the new deck and messed something up.

When in doubt, always check your work.
In this case, check the last guy's work. Lol
Thank you for the suggestion. I confirmed three fuses are installed and fine (EFI 1 & 2 plus A/F). I have removed the car stereo and begun the process of double checking their work. I am also going into the shop first thing this morning when the open.
Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM
Leeper
Intermediate

"Could very well be more battery voltage if they left the doors open for any extended period of time that is very common. Do you buy chance have a battery charger or maintainer you can use overnight?"

Thank you "Leeper" for the suggestion. Per your suggestion, I put the battery charger on and it immediately posted a battery full message. I set up maintainer mode and have it running now.
Sorry confused your post with another - if when installing the battery they left the doors open, which they did, they likely drained a lot of pwoer from the battery adn ow voltage can often cause phantom CEL and other anomoloies. Put it on a maintainer overnight, check the voltage shuold read at least 12.4V sitting and 14.4V running. It is rare that an installer will pull a fuse when installing stereos, they (and I) just disconnect the battery leads however a mistake can lead to a blown fuse. By the sound of the faults it does not sound like an error installing just low voltage. Also if they disconencted your battery you'll need to reset the windows, rear hatch, sunroof, and the car will take a few miles to relearn your driving techniques as the ECM has been erased.

Last edited by Leeper; Yesterday at 08:43 AM.
MrBlueSky (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:30 AM
MrBlueSky
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Mesquite77
First off, these are not O2 sensors, they are A/F sensors, and are quite different. Looking at the wiring diagram, these 2 A/F sensors share the +B (12V plus, yellow wire) hot connection, then the yellow wire goes the the A/F relay. So I would suspect something with that relay, or the connections to it.

Thank you for the clarification and excellent diagrams. I assumed A/F was Lexus/Toyota speak for O2 sensor. Will check the relay and connections.
Old Yesterday, 08:31 AM
MrBlueSky
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Mesquite77
The grounds for the A/F relay are shared with the EFI relay, so if the car is running, they are likely ok. The hot to trigger the A/F relay violet wire, does indeed end up at a fuse as suggested above:

Thanks - I checked all three fuses and they appear to be fine. Is there any reason to swap them out anyway?
Old Yesterday, 09:23 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 985 Likes on 784 Posts

For anyone following along, I highly recommend the volt meter that plugs into the cigarette lighter.

They are sold online and at local auto parts stores

It's a simple device and shows your battery voltage at all times when the key is on.

Bonus plus, I got one that shows my volts plus two USB charging ports and I leave it plugged in to the cigarette lighter always.

Fast, easy, cheap, approx $10.
Worth it. 🤓

Last edited by Margate330; Yesterday at 09:31 AM.
MrBlueSky (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM
Mesquite77
Advanced

I would be tempted to measure voltage to ground on the yellow wire to the bank 2 A/F sensor, it is easy to get to, maybe check the ground (blue wire) while you're there.
MrBlueSky (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM
MrBlueSky
10th Gear

A quick update - I left the battery on the charger/maintainer for about 7 hours and then spent the afternoon re-checking fuses and reviewing every wire connection. I replaced the wire nuts used on the black, red, yellow and blue wires. I also tidied up some of the routings used for various wires. I happened to have a volt meter that plugs into the cigarette lighter and as was suggested, I checked the voltage throughout the afternoon (it ranged from 12.2 sitting and 13.3 running). I have reinstalled the stereo and we drove the car for about 90 minutes this evening. So far, no codes or errors. I am cautiously optimistic that perhaps it was indeed a battery drain or wiring issue. I spoke with the installer who indicated they did not pull any fuses or disconnect the battery. He was very agreeable to look at everything which I will do if the codes return. I will update the thread should things change. Thank you to all for the great suggestions.
Margate330 (Yesterday)
Old Today, 06:28 AM
Leeper
Intermediate

A quick update - I left the battery on the charger/maintainer for about 7 hours and then spent the afternoon re-checking fuses and reviewing every wire connection. I replaced the wire nuts used on the black, red, yellow and blue wires. I also tidied up some of the routings used for various wires. I happened to have a volt meter that plugs into the cigarette lighter and as was suggested, I checked the voltage throughout the afternoon (it ranged from 12.2 sitting and 13.3 running). I have reinstalled the stereo and we drove the car for about 90 minutes this evening. So far, no codes or errors. I am cautiously optimistic that perhaps it was indeed a battery drain or wiring issue. I spoke with the installer who indicated they did not pull any fuses or disconnect the battery. He was very agreeable to look at everything which I will do if the codes return. I will update the thread should things change. Thank you to all for the great suggestions.
If a shop used wire nuts on my install I'd never go back, they have no place in automotive usage always either butt connectors or solder/heat shrink. Wire nuts are a hack job I'd be very suspect of the rest of their work. I replaced my head unit a year no wire nuts. Again barring sme really rare thing like them cutting a wire to the TCM I think you'll find it will right itself after a few miles or relearning once your battery gets back to proper voltage and the TCM/ECM relearn and play nice together. Wire nuts belong in construction not in automotive use.