Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ukraine Uses Toyota Mirai as Hydrogen Fuel-Cell Bomb Against Russian Forces

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-24, 12:47 AM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Ukraine Uses Toyota Mirai as Hydrogen Fuel-Cell Bomb Against Russian Forces

https://www.yotatech.com/articles/uk...ussian-forces/

A wrecked Toyota Mirai's hydrogen fuel cell and some other parts allegedly made for a highly effective way to take out a potential Russian ammo depot.

NOTE: This post and the article's title were updated in an attempt to clarify that "hydrogen bomb" was used to describe the fuel-cell vehicle's energy source, not a thermonuclear explosion.

2ND NOTE: YotaTech is a ClubLexus sister site, owned and operated by the team who runs this site. Just in case you were nervous about the link.

Last edited by MPalmer; 08-15-24 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-15-24, 04:41 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Looks to me like Russian propaganda. If the Ukrainians had actually used a nuclear device, even a low-grade one, it would be front page news all over the world.

The Ukrainians DID recently strike inside Russia, but with conventional drones and other weapons.
Old 08-15-24, 04:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Looks to me like Russian propaganda.
why would the russians make propaganda about a loss?

If the Ukrainians had actually used a nuclear device, even a low-grade one, it would be front page news all over the world.
? it wasn't a nuclear device, it was the hydrogen fuel cell from a toyota mirai.
Old 08-15-24, 05:04 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
why would the russians make propaganda about a loss?

it wasn't a nuclear device, it was the hydrogen fuel cell from a toyota mirai.
As of now (although this could change) I don't see any other stories from credible sources confirming it.

IF true, however, It could have been a very low-grade device, using just the small amount of hydrogen in the Mirai....although that could have caused detectible radiation. I'll just consider the whole story a question mark for now.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-15-24 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-15-24, 05:32 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Bit is correct. This is not the type of Hydrogen bomb you're thinking of. There is no fissible material. It is a traditional explosive, using the volatility of hydrogen gas as the fuel. I suspect it was designed as a Thermobaric explosive, but don't have enough information to confirm that.

Mod hat on: You two have not taken it there (thank you), but this is a topic that can very easily devolve into debate territory. This is everyone's one and only warning. Keep the discussion on the novelty of the use of a Mirai in this fashion, or the thread will be immediately closed.
Old 08-15-24, 05:46 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
Mod hat on: You two have not taken it there (thank you), but this is a topic that can very easily devolve into debate territory. This is everyone's one and only warning. Keep the discussion on the novelty of the use of a Mirai in this fashion, or the thread will be immediately closed.
I would suggest closing it now. It will inevitably go down the drain.

Old 08-15-24, 06:47 AM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Sorry for the confusion. I was semi-delirious last night when I finally got to publish this.

I've updated the thread and the article itself to reflect that hydrogen bomb was a reference to the Toyota Mirai's hydrogen fuel cell allegedly being used to make a non-nuclear weapon to fight the Russians.

Last edited by MPalmer; 08-15-24 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-15-24, 08:04 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,934 Likes on 2,471 Posts

Mirai owners are relieved to learn their cars are not a thermonuclear bomb but simply a thermobaric one.
Old 08-15-24, 10:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MPalmer
Sorry for the confusion. I was semi-delirious last night when I finally got to publish this.

I've updated the thread and the article itself to reflect that hydrogen bomb was a reference to the Toyota Mirai's hydrogen fuel cell that was allegedly used to make a non-nuclear weapon to fight the Russians.
Thank you for clarifying that. That makes a lot more sense.
Old 08-15-24, 10:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

OK.....the OP story now seems credible. Other media-sources are starting to verify it.....here is one of them:

https://www.theautopian.com/ukrainia...sian-position/
Old 08-15-24, 11:18 AM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK.....the OP story now seems credible. Other media-sources are starting to verify it.....here is one of them:

https://www.theautopian.com/ukrainia...sian-position/
I wouldn't go that far... i think most sites are going off of that one source, which is an English-language news site based in Ukraine. I also added a note to the end of our article identifying the source's context and noting that major media outlets have not independently verified the news. Still, according to the very through writeup on Euromaidan Press, this type of weapon -- a mixture of leftover parts from vehicles like the Mirai and even Tesla EVs -- have been relatively common over the last 18 months.

This story appears to be gaining traction mostly among automotive enthusiast news outlets specifically because of the visual/notion of a wrecked Toyota being turned into a weapon of war.

The interesting context there is that it's actually very common for civilian vehicles to end up in various wartorn places. For example, here's a Ford SuperDuty towing a Howizter that we wrote about on a different ClubLexus sister site: https://www.ford-trucks.com/articles...m777-howitzer/
Old 08-15-24, 11:42 AM
Oro
Racer

Received 385 Likes on 335 Posts

Toyota needs to combine the Mirai and the Hilux. It will be marketing gold…

Old 08-15-24, 02:34 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Another engine for Toyota to recall due to it blowing up.