GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Starter: one click then nothing? Short or bad starter?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 01:42 PM
LexusScrub
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter: one click then nothing? Short or bad starter?

Making a new thread because I bet no one has seen this before. My starter worked fine for about 7 starts and now it's not working anymore. I replaced my knock sensors (the connectors broke so I soldered pig tails on), put the intake manifold back on, went to start the car and it did but with a little smoke from the negative terminal. Turned it off and started it again, cranked just fine with no smoke. Started it a couple more times to get rid of codes (which did go away so I think my solder job is successful), but after leaving the car in the garage for about 20 min, I went to start it again and got one click then all the lights on the dash went off. Took the battery to AutoZone, and their tester indicated that it was perfectly fine. Put the battery back in a day later, cleaned the terminals, put keys in the keys in the ignition, got dash lights, cranked it and the same thing: click but no start. I am stumped; if it's shorted wouldn't I not get a click at all?

Here's a video of what's going on:
https://youtube.com/shorts/UNooObge6tQ?si=I8HGq5hAADdDa_zq
​​
Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM
tammap
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LexusScrub
Making a new thread because I bet no one has seen this before. My starter worked fine for about 7 starts and now it's not working anymore. I replaced my knock sensors (the connectors broke so I soldered pig tails on), put the intake manifold back on, went to start the car and it did but with a little smoke from the negative terminal. Turned it off and started it again, cranked just fine with no smoke. Started it a couple more times to get rid of codes (which did go away so I think my solder job is successful), but after leaving the car in the garage for about 20 min, I went to start it again and got one click then all the lights on the dash went off. Took the battery to AutoZone, and their tester indicated that it was perfectly fine. Put the battery back in a day later, cleaned the terminals, put keys in the keys in the ignition, got dash lights, cranked it and the same thing: click but no start. I am stumped; if it's shorted wouldn't I not get a click at all?

Here's a video of what's going on:
https://youtube.com/shorts/UNooObge6...HGq5hAADdDa_zq
​​
Did you remember to reconnect all ground points when reassembling the intake manifold? Also there is a ground strap at the back of the intake manifold.

Check your starter relay. Attached is the starting circuit. Upload couple images of your battery cables if you can.

Old Today, 06:29 AM
LexusScrub
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tammap
Did you remember to reconnect all ground points when reassembling the intake manifold? Also there is a ground strap at the back of the intake manifold.

Check your starter relay. Attached is the starting circuit. Upload couple images of your battery cables if you can.
When I put the manifold on I connected everything I disconnected taking it off so I don't think I missed anything. I'll have to check the ground strap I didn't even know that's back there. Here are the pictures of the battery cables. Does the big wire of the two coming off the positive terminal go straight to the starter or does it go into the wiring harness? I'm wondering if I could somehow replace just that if there is a short in there. Going to test the amps running through that wire today. Also taking the battery back to AutoZone to test just to double check.

​​​​​