Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

SEMA Asks The Supreme Court to Stop California’s 2035 Ban on New ICE Vehicle Sales

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-24, 03:41 PM
MPalmer
CL Editor

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts
Default SEMA Asks The Supreme Court to Stop California’s 2035 Ban on New ICE Vehicle Sales

SEMA filed an amicus brief, arguing that California's 2035 ICE vehicle ban will kill innovation & negatively impact the automotive industry.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/articl...vehicle-sales/
Old 08-15-24, 04:08 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

SEMA goes on to reference studies that support the claim that EVs are not cleaner than ICE vehicles. EVs have no tailpipe emissions, but they do contribute emissions during other points in their lifecycle. One study noted that EVs produce 15 percent more manufacturing-related emissions than an equivalent ICE vehicle. There is also evidence that heavier EVs create more tire-wear and road-wear particulate pollution. Of course, the energy to charge an EV also has to come from somewhere. So, SEMA contends that simply mandating all vehicles be EVs is not really going to address the pollution problem.
Classic yellow journalism leave the most important part out.
Old 08-15-24, 09:06 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Totally agree with SEMA.....and the brief. Arguably the dumbest regulation I have ever seen placed on the auto industry.
Old 08-16-24, 03:13 PM
timmy0tool
Forum Moderator

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

CA doing CA things, and i live in this state...we have the strictest smog laws among the 50 states so that mandate didn't come as a surprise. i recall "smog" days in the late 80s early 90s and i could barely see the downtown LA skyscrappers from only a few block away. i've dealt with the CA Air Resources Board (CARB) on modified parts on my vehicles, and still do every other year when emissions testing rolls around.

I do appreciate SEMA as they have helped educate and regulate lots over the years in CA particularly. i've certainly benefited from their efforts, directly and indirectly.
Old 08-16-24, 04:22 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Ban ICE so regular folks pay more to have a car while the number of private jets, yachts has increased by huge amounts. Not to mention commercial flights and cargo shipping.
Old 08-18-24, 11:06 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

The main problem I see, and I work in the EV charging industry, is that CA has a pretty weak electricity supply grid and while demand is increasing (and partially due to the looming edict of EVs only as new vehicles by 2035), nothing is being done to fortify the existing infrastructure. We have one nuke plant still in operation but there are plans to shutter it. So we’re going to legislate a forced increase in demand on a grid that cannot support the current demand? Policymakers seem to think electricity just comes out of a wall plug and also seem to not realize it needs to be generated. Rather than lip service about net zero emissions, the policy wonks need to prioritize how the hell we are going to power all these EVs.
Old 08-18-24, 12:33 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

I work in Regulatory in the Pharma/Biotech industry
We have this "will it pass the red face test" regarding anything we submit
The legal brief may be a bit light on the facts
They site a 2015 report regarding greenness, couldn't find anything newer than that kids?
Here is a link to some MIT geniuses who trend the other way
https://climate.mit.edu/ask-mit/are-...s-powered-cars
OK, SEMA, if you get your day in court, please dial up a response to the following question, what percentage of the products from your members lead to higher emissions?
Old 08-18-24, 12:44 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
The main problem I see, and I work in the EV charging industry, is that CA has a pretty weak electricity supply grid and while demand is increasing (and partially due to the looming edict of EVs only as new vehicles by 2035), nothing is being done to fortify the existing infrastructure. We have one nuke plant still in operation but there are plans to shutter it. So we’re going to legislate a forced increase in demand on a grid that cannot support the current demand? Policymakers seem to think electricity just comes out of a wall plug and also seem to not realize it needs to be generated. Rather than lip service about net zero emissions, the policy wonks need to prioritize how the hell we are going to power all these EVs.
Sorry, but this is wide of the mark. The CA grid absolutely supports current requirements. The predicted rolling black out doom and gloom that we hear is going to happen every year never materializes, and it's equally wide of the mark to look at the grid of today as representative of the grid tomorrow. But even if it were, there is already more capacity available today than we need. Sensible capcity management practices aren't indicative of a lack of capacity. To provide just one example, I just had my own plan changed by the utility who proactively added a super off peak between 9am and 2pm every day precisely because there is excess capacity at that time mostly because of the extra renewable generation at that time.
Old 08-18-24, 12:59 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Sorry, but this is wide of the mark. The CA grid absolutely supports current requirements. The predicted rolling black out doom and gloom that we hear is going to happen every year never materializes, and it's equally wide of the mark to look at the grid of today as representative of the grid tomorrow. But even if it were, there is already more capacity available today than we need. Sensible capcity management practices aren't indicative of a lack of capacity. To provide just one example, I just had my own plan changed by the utility who proactively added a super off peak between 9am and 2pm every day precisely because there is excess capacity at that time mostly because of the extra renewable generation at that time.
This is simply not true. Every summer in Nevada, we get communications from NV Energy telling us we need to stop using our air conditioners or charging EV'S because they're required to divert electricity to California to keep up with the demand there. In fact it's a California entity that has the authority in this compact to order NV Energy to comply.

The Western grid is currently not ready for a full EV transition at this point.

Old 08-18-24, 01:09 PM
swajames
Pole Position

The point is he’s using sleight of hand. Current energy demand is lower than current energy capacity and future demand isn’t a problem until it exceeds future capacity. Which remains a work in progress. And again, sensible energy management is just that. We do not get rolling blackouts here. Haven’t had a single one in 24 years here.
Old 08-18-24, 01:30 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Predictions I see frequently:
EV's will never be mainstream
Grid will collapse because of EV's
Old 08-18-24, 03:28 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Not gonna happen. Virtue signaling of the highest magnitude is all this is.

I’d bet everything I own they’re gonna be eating their words too just like all the automakers.

If SCOTUS does get involved, they will shut it down with a quickness.
Old 08-18-24, 04:19 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Regardless of the politics, it's not a very good amicus brief. And for those who don't know how these things work, literally anyone can file an amicus curiae brief and the courts themselves are under no obligation to pay any attention to them.
Old 08-19-24, 10:35 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Is it? So why did this happen?

https://fortune.com/2022/09/01/calif...harge-newsom/#
Old 08-19-24, 11:03 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by link13
It looks like you may be confusing a limited-scope one-time and most importantly non-binding request during a period of extreme heat, when we didn't see any actual blackouts (we have not had one in 24 years) with actual evidence that the CA grid doesn't have enough capacity to meet current demand. It demonstrably does, as we rarely if ever need to even think about it. And as noted, my own utility is now encouraging daytime charging rather than overnight precisely because there is excess capacity during those times. What you posted was literally an ask to turn off unnecessary lights, turn thermostats down to 78 and to try to avoid charging between 4pm and 9pm. Which is the time people usually don't charge anyway.

Real time current demand, current generation/grid capacity and projected demand data are all available on the independent system operator website.

Quick Reply: SEMA Asks The Supreme Court to Stop California’s 2035 Ban on New ICE Vehicle Sales