NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Lexus vs BMW early comparison.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-24 | 06:20 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

Default Lexus vs BMW early comparison.

My wife and I were talking today, after about six months with our 2024 LX450h+, about how the technology just worked better in the BMW (we have had three). Our last BMW was the X3 plugin hybrid, which they stopped making, resulting in our moving to the Lexus (our second).
The BMWs were much better in matching the driver setting with the key fob, especially music sources and lots of special settings.
Another thing I tested today is the garage door opener. The Lexus keeps the garage door button active after the car is off while the BMW disables the button. Not a huge deal to us as we keep the car in the garage but I would think a big deal to someone who parks in the driveway or at the curb, once someone gets in the car they can open the garage door and they are in the house.
A nice feature on the i3 is that the charging port was locked till the car was charged and then unlocked for someone else to use. The X3 did not follow along with that, which I thought was a bit disappointing.
Not really *****ing just comparing the two brands. We had an Acura RDX and were amazed at how bad the technology was and how little the dealer knew about the car.
Old 08-15-24 | 07:29 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb BMW vs. NX

BMWs are great cars when they don't have problems. The are more sporty and more performance orientated and run like bats and get very good mileage.

However, maintenance and little failures happen often and when you get beyond the 4 year manufacturers warranty, even normal service is expensive,

BMWs $$$$$ are very expensive to fix and maintain.

I had my one BMW a M3. When it wasn't in the BMW service bay i ran awesome , handles awesome, got great mileage, had nice audio Harmon Kardon.

NX, reliable, luxury cruiser hybrids get great mileage have decent acceleration. Decent long term costs in service and maintenance. They are no sports cars at all, even the pseudo attempt, F-Sport.

The choice is . If you trade within 4 years the BMW might be a good choice. "might" is subjective.

YMMV,
MidCow3
The following 2 users liked this post by midcow3:
miop4000 (08-17-24), websurfer (08-15-24)
Old 08-16-24 | 07:19 PM
DenverRx
Intermediate

During the pandemic, I took my car into the local Lexus dealer for an oil change. I had a women service writer I had never seen before there. The place was near empty so we had a long chat. She had come from a BMW dealer in town. I asked her if she liked working at the Lexus dealer. She said yes! I love not having to be the bearer of bad news to customers. No more $800 headlight fixes; no more $3500 water pumps...
Old 08-16-24 | 07:36 PM
websurfer
Racer

I don't someone that just purchased a X1 but purchased extended warranty. I wonder if that would cover all the issue?
Old 08-16-24 | 09:08 PM
Tom558
Intermediate

We bought one BMW used, the i3, and never had any issues. The other 2 we leased and turned in after 3 years and never had an issue.

My original post was comparing the BMW technology and the Lexus technology and just thinking BMW did a better job.
Old 08-16-24 | 10:17 PM
romer
Intermediate

I bought a brand new BMW sedan in 2003. Really nice car. Fun to drive. The last BMW I owned. For a variety of reasons I moved on. Too long ago to make any modern day comparisons but that’s what I can deposit here.
Old 08-17-24 | 04:45 AM
Fifteenkey
Rookie

Default 2025 X3 Hybrid

I'll definitely be looking at it when available. My 2023 NXh issues have annoyed me one too many times.
  • Coolant o-ring damage during manufacturing resulted in no A/C on the first hot day I had the car
  • 14" infotainment system failure and replacement
  • Now software update fails
  • Rear seat warning when no one sitting back there
  • Crappy wireless phone charger
  • Highway wind noise
All that said, the NXh has benefits including comfort and great mileage. My previous car was a 2014 BMW 328i and I had zero issues. Mazda CX-50 hybrid is also on my radar.
Old 08-17-24 | 06:18 AM
kiska3463
Driver

Originally Posted by Fifteenkey
I'll definitely be looking at it when available. My 2023 NXh issues have annoyed me one too many times.
  • Coolant o-ring damage during manufacturing resulted in no A/C on the first hot day I had the car
  • 14" infotainment system failure and replacement
  • Now software update fails
  • Rear seat warning when no one sitting back there
  • Crappy wireless phone charger
  • Highway wind noise
All that said, the NXh has benefits including comfort and great mileage. My previous car was a 2014 BMW 328i and I had zero issues. Mazda CX-50 hybrid is also on my radar.
Like I said many time piece of junk design and build by "pizza generation"
Not even close to famous Lexus quality
Old 08-17-24 | 12:36 PM
Fifteenkey
Rookie

Originally Posted by kiska3463
Like I said many time piece of junk design and build by "pizza generation"
Not even close to famous Lexus quality
You hatin' on pizza? 🍕 😕
Old 08-17-24 | 01:28 PM
kiska3463
Driver

Originally Posted by Fifteenkey
You hatin' on pizza? 🍕 😕
No, just the "quality" product that "pizza generation" is pumping out
Old 08-17-24 | 04:15 PM
Fifteenkey
Rookie

Originally Posted by kiska3463
No, just the "quality" product that "pizza generation" is pumping out
What is "pizza generation?"
Old 08-19-24 | 11:20 AM
rational
Rookie

I really dislike the tech in my 2024 Lexus NX 450H+. The bluetooth connection doesn't happen reliably. This is fundamental to having a good driver experience, yet Lexus can't figure it out. I have had great experience with other cars and devices that accept and use bluetooth connections. Why can't Lexus figure it out?

Of course, another big issue is how Lexus models drivers. I can only have one app and the other drivers in my family can't have it/use it. They can only connect via bluetooth, that is if it chooses to work that day. Pretty sad state of affairs in 2024. I hope Lexus is listening and fixes these issues with an update.
The following users liked this post:
Billst (08-19-24)
Old 08-20-24 | 06:49 AM
lsft
Racer

Originally Posted by rational
I really dislike the tech in my 2024 Lexus NX 450H+. The bluetooth connection doesn't happen reliably. This is fundamental to having a good driver experience, yet Lexus can't figure it out. I have had great experience with other cars and devices that accept and use bluetooth connections. Why can't Lexus figure it out?

Of course, another big issue is how Lexus models drivers. I can only have one app and the other drivers in my family can't have it/use it. They can only connect via bluetooth, that is if it chooses to work that day. Pretty sad state of affairs in 2024. I hope Lexus is listening and fixes these issues with an update.
What phone are you using? My bluetooth connects every single time with no issues at all.
Old 08-20-24 | 09:51 AM
rational
Rookie

Originally Posted by lsft
What phone are you using? My bluetooth connects every single time with no issues at all.
My wife and i both use iPhone 15. The bluetooth setup works ok for a few days and then stops being reliable. At that point I have to remove my device and add it back again. I am marked as the primary driver.

I am very familiar with tech and user interfaces, so it's not due to lack of familiarity doing these things. I had a Tesla Model 3 for a few years before the NX and that worked extremely well recognizing multiple drivers and recognizing the primary driver when multiple registered phones were in the cabin.