Paint chip repair options ?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:12 AM
LexLight
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Paint chip repair options ?

Greetings..

As much as I was really excited and enjoying, yesterday for some reason a misfortune struck me. I went a bit spirited because of the no traffic but a stupid truck driver did not even use indicator and changed the lane, I had to slow down rapidly but the car went a bit over shoulder, and close proximity to the F150. So later after coming back to home I inspected and found 4-6 paint chips on my front bumper, they are small but it really ruined my day. I was waiting to find a free slot for my work week to get it PPFed on the high impact zones and detailed and this happened.

https://streamable.com/f23pzo

My humble request for the community to help me. I really do not want to perform a DIY and ruin the car so would like to go professional route and take the hit of $$$
Any suggestions, Can this be fixed / restored by a professional car detailing shop with slight touch ups ? Should I ask any body/dent shop with 5 star rating on Google on how can they do it ?

Thank you.

P.S - How do the dealers manage that without repainting the whole bumper and achieve a solid finish.

Old Yesterday, 10:21 AM
DocEnuf
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

go and buy touch up paint at the dealer that matches 100%. Then touch up the nicks. ( you will have more dips and dings in time, so learn how to fix it now. Plus, you will retain this knowledge for a lifetime)
Hint: you "add" paint to the hole, not paint it like a house. Just a dab and leave it alone to dry. you might have to do it more than once, but just dip a dab into the chip, let it dry and see if you need to add more later
For a better explanation, you might find good procedures on Youtube.
This is how dealerships do it if it's not too bad a chip.
If this is not what you want, you will have to take to a body shop for repair.
The following users liked this post:
LexLight (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:48 AM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,480 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Yeah, I would get the touch up paint. I have it for my RCF as well. I had to use it on the hood heat extractor where I had a small rock chip. It works very well and matches very well making it very seamless.

I also have PPF on my hood, A-pillar and the front bumper. It is also worth the investment.
LexLight (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM
LexLight
Driver

Received 68 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Upon searching more, Belllexus's ebay store has an Ultrasonic Blue kit which says.

LEXUS OEM FACTORY TOUCH UP PAINT 00258-008X1-21 ULTRASONIC BLUE SET
00258-008X1-21 X1 TOP COAT
00258-8X1BC-21 X1 BASE COAT
I think that 8X1 is the USB2.0 color so it matches, it also has a base coat too, wonder what is that for and they do ship it quick as well. After watching some videos esp this video it seems like a lot of patience and expertise alongside a lot of care.

I have inquired with a local detailer shop that has good ratings (5 stars) on google, they seem to recommend Doctor colorchip over dealer option. Any idea if I go this route ? I was planning to get a PPF (high impact areas), Ceramic coat (either Gtechniq or Cquartz) also done on the car. Should I insist them going the OEM Lexus route ?

Thanks.
Old Yesterday, 03:33 PM
CAHWY128
Advanced

Received 346 Likes on 228 Posts

I used to have a dent repair guy who was mobile. He could do touch up and small repairs so well you could not find it when he was done. The guy was truly an artist. You could search for a guy like that. I like the others, just do my own touch up with factory paint touch up. As long is it does not draw your eye it is good enough Imo.
LexLight (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM
cvt
Racer

Received 546 Likes on 362 Posts

Some detailers (like the one I use) can use OEM touch up paint and some clear coat and buff it down to where you can’t see the chip. Maybe start calling some detailers in your neighborhood to see if they can do that.
Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,480 Likes on 1,785 Posts

Years ago, I wrote this article on how I got almost perfect results with the OEM touch up paint. It is a quite a lot of work, but it does end up looking great if you are willing to be patient and persistent. Check it out as you might find it useful. You can save quite a bit, if you are willing to put in the effort.

Rock chip: Lexus touch-up paint/clearcoat process and results - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion
Old Yesterday, 11:01 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,938 Likes on 2,474 Posts

This method works best for me, on smaller chips simply use a nitrile glove to smear paint into the chips.