GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

"Typical" Mileage on Front Brake Pad

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-24, 09:28 AM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 512 Likes on 272 Posts
Default "Typical" Mileage on Front Brake Pad

I realize this isn't an easy straight forward question - types of driving and driving style play a role.

What's a reasonable mileage to expect out of a pair of front brake pads?

Dealer is saying they're 1mm from failing. I think they're using colorful language - I think its 1mm from when they typically call for replacement - there's no noise at all coming from any of the brakes.

From what I can find quickly in my records - it appears that the front pads have about 16,600 miles on them - does that seem somewhat reasonable?

Rears have a lot more mileage on them (obviously) - that I need to look for more info on but I'm curious what one should expect out of a set of rear pads as well?

Thanks in advance! Hoping someone can reply quick since they've already sent me a video, texted, and called wanting to know if I want to do them.

EDIT: Clarification- confirmed all pads are at 4mm, "failing" by their terms is 3mm

EDIT2:
* Looking back - I got a bit over 17,000 on the front brakes before replacing them but that was starting at 7mm (what the CPO paperwork shows).
* Rears were also at 7mm on the CPO paperwork so I put 33,000ish on those.
* I did manage to find some threads with some info (searching seems hit or miss for me). 11mm is what OEM pads have new.
* 3mm is when you should ideally replace the pads - 4 mm is fine if you're having other things done and don't want to deal with taking the car back in. that 1mm will likely get you a few thousand miles.
* Yes....I do tend to brake hard so I get that that likely plays into going through things a bit faster than some - but I'm relatively sure I'm not the only one on here like that

All that said, I'm still curious about the questions above.

Last edited by LexusGSboy; 08-23-24 at 10:57 AM.
Old 08-23-24, 09:31 AM
LexusGSboy
Instructor

Received 512 Likes on 272 Posts

Follow up - Assuming the rotors have not been abused (waited to long on replacing pads, etc...) how many miles should the front rotors last?

What at about the rear? I'm assuming they'll go a bit longer.
Old 08-23-24, 10:28 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,160 Likes on 856 Posts

I have a 2013 AWD non F-Sport. I changed my front rotors and pads using all OEM when I had 57k miles. I now have 74k miles and just at the 4mm mark - so roughly 17k miles out of the front pads (rotors likely still good but will check-in with my mechanic before changing).

Rear pads seem to last very long from what I've seen from my GS - not sure of other folks, but my rears are now over 20k miles and still have around 5mm.

I think for you, getting 16k miles out of the front pads is acceptable and you're probably right - its getting close to the point of needing replacement.

I think generally you'll get ~12k-20k miles out of front pads and rotors depending on many factors of course. If you decide not to go OEM pads, I think most folks recommend Akebono (i have Akebono on the rears and recommend if the prices are good). Rotors should last twice as long as the pads in my experience.
The following users liked this post:
jgscott (08-23-24)
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 474 Likes on 313 Posts

At about 50k miles, I had to change the front pads only.
At about 100k miles, I had to change both the front rotors and front pads.
Same with my older 3GS, I seem to get about two sets of front pads to one set of front rotors; all OEM parts.

Btw, over the past 40 years, several times the front brake pads were down to 3 mm or 2 mm or 1 mm metric etc, and I unknowingly kept driving or too busy to replace, and the entire front pad crumbled/shattered, resulting in metal piston to metal rotors braking, so I had to either limp or towed to dealership to not only replace pads, but to also machine the rotors.

These days, I replace pads a bit early at about 1/5" to prevent pad shattering incidences, because when the pads are very thin, they just unpredictably crumble and shatter.
I check using amazon endoscopic camera connected to phone by Bluetooth etc.
The past 10+ years, I have replaced rotors and pads myself.

I find it much easier to visualize the front pads by taking off the whole front wheel using manufacturer's scissor jack in trunk with the built-in V-groove for the pinch rails, together with 1" long socket with 1/2" drive, powered by a Ryobi motorized torque wrench.
The manufacturer's OEM manual scissor jack handle is awkward, slow, and discouraging to use.

I only use my hydraulic jack applied to the center of the front subframe to lift both front wheels, supported by 2/4 jack stands, only when I actually replace the front pads and/or rotors or do a four-wheel tire rotation without rebalancing.

Last edited by peteharvey; Yesterday at 03:51 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by peteharvey:
AJLex19 (Yesterday), bclexus (Today)
Old Today, 05:37 AM
Mangsailor
Intermediate

Received 90 Likes on 68 Posts

Looking at my car's history on the Lexus website the front brakes have been done twice at about 40k between each. At 40k the front pads were replaced, and at 78k the front pads and rotors were replaced.

In my experience, pads usually last around 30k, and rotors typically are turned after the first set of pads. but I recently had to put front pads and rotors on my wife's SUV only because they squeaked like mad when she would roll slow in a line of cars or traffic. She had 80k on them. I put Bosch quiet cast rotors/pads on it and they shut up.

I'm actually going to be ordering and installing a set of quiet cast pads/rotors for my car, as mine are also doing the same thing. I was thinking of the power stop kit, but this isn't a race car and I have a similar drilled/slotted set on my truck from them and the pads have only lasted a max of 15kmi... which is not really that impressive and I don't want to put pads on my car all the time.