NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

sticky residue on all wheels, just south of lug nuts

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-24, 09:57 PM
bikerfox
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default sticky residue on all wheels, just south of lug nuts

'25 NX 350 h w/20 in. wheels. just noticed that all wheels have a sticky residue that will remove w/towel and water, but it's a LOT OF WORK!
i have an appt. w/the dealer next week, but wouldn't mind using a product that seems to remove the reside w/o removing the cc. any suggestions
based on experience with sticky residue?

Old 08-24-24, 10:13 AM
TheCDN
Intermediate

Received 167 Likes on 118 Posts

This is possibly a coating applied for shipping purposes to avoid corrosion, and the dealer may have not removed it all when they prepped your car for delivery. I had a similar goo on my wheels to back in November 2022, only it was on my dark grey wheels and I didn't catch it for a month or so and by then it had collected dirt into the goo. Dealer just handed me a can of brake clean for free and said 'This stuff removes just about anything and it won't harm the paint' It actually did a good job, but it dries real quick so I put it on cloth and rubbed gently. Everything came off no problem, clear coat wasn't affected. I would caution to just try it out on a little spot of cc to make sure you don't have an issue to be sure.
Old 08-24-24, 10:23 AM
Oro
Pole Position

Received 454 Likes on 394 Posts

sticky residue on all wheels, just south of lug nuts

That’s what she said.

But seriously, you can use Goof-off, mineral spirits, etc. which will solvate it and take it right off. Then rinse it. The cured paint/clear coat will not react to that, and especially if you rinse it / wash it. Diesel fuel or kerosene (the same thing basically - jet fuel) will also take it off and not harm the surface. Really. I use a bristle brush dipped in diesel fuel to clean filthy wheels - the brake dust that laughs at canned cleaners just melts away and does not harm the finish at all. Really - the cured paint/clearcoat is in fact that hard.

I live in the PNW and pine sap is a huge problem. We deal with it like that all the time. I also wax my wheels, same as the paint, helps tremendously with keeping them clean and getting tar, sap, etc. off.

Get them clean, wash them with a strong soap (dish soap), then put on a graphene or ceramic (or hybrid) wax. Clean and wax the barrel, too (inside behind the hub). Then when you take them off they clean very easily.

Last edited by Oro; 08-24-24 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-24-24, 10:47 PM
bikerfox
Driver School Candidate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks for the replies....yesterday, i decided to call the dealership and let them deal w/the issue.
and then i thought there has to be an easy soln. to this issue! so, i used some goo gone with a
rag and old toothbrush and all was removed, rinsed, and dried. coincidentally, isopropyl, mineral
spirits, and gas didn't work for me.