SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Windows will not roll up or down

Search this Thread

Old Today, 02:13 PM
RENEGATE28
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Windows will not roll up or down

Hey guys, @DshngDaryl advised me to make a thread for my issue so I will write it here.

My vehicle has many issues so I will keep it short to only include my main issue. My car has had issues with rolling the windows up and down since January of this year. It started out as very minor, for example, I would turn the car on and when pushing down on the window switch only one of the windows would work. In January this would rarely happen, and it would fix within a few minutes of driving. I remember I would turn the car on, try to roll the windows down and it would not roll, but after a few minutes of driving I would try again and it would work. The issues became more frequent as time went on and by May and June it would have days where it would not work, but it would randomly work one day. Luckily during this time it never got stuck with the window down (don't know how, I was just lucky). Unfortunately, my mom used my car in July and she lowered the window about half way down while driving. She was worried it was not going up and I told her not to worry, that it does that all of the time and just to keep trying every now and then when she uses the car. It is now almost September and the window has not worked ever again.

Information that may be helpful:
  • Both windows do not work
  • There is no sound of a motor engaging or trying to engage when I push down or pull up on the window switch
  • Both window switches (drivers side door handle and passenger side door handle) do not work. So none of the window switches work.
  • I have checked the window lock button and that is not the issue either, I made sure to have the button unlocked.
  • My drop-top has not worked for several years so there is no way to test if they roll up or down by using the "open top" button
Extra information about previous issues that may have something to do with the error:

A few years back I posted about my hardtop having issues opening. It was confirmed by the lexus dealer that I had to replace the motor. I replaced the motor with my dad, however we replaced the wrong one (lol). In order to access the motors for the drop-top we had to manually open the top. After the replacement the hardtop obviously did not work because we replaced the wrong motor, however a few things happened:

1) A red light appeared on the droptop button (which had not been there ever, the light was always off, but for some reason the light turned on and was red after the motor replacement.

2) The weirdest thing happened, where for some reason, even after closing the top manually back to its original position, the vehicle is stuck in a constant loop of thinking it is in the middle of opening its top. This caused a cascade of other issues within my car.
  • Since my car thinks it is in the middle of the open/close top process there is a perpetual beep sound that is generated by my car whenever I drive more than a few mph. It is the same exact sound the car makes when you try to drive while you are holding the "top open/close" button. For the past two years that beep has continued to sound without fail and have made my 5 hour drives to college and back miserable.
  • Along with the beep, the automatic power windows stopped working. What I mean by this is the function where when you pull on the window switch up a little further than normal, the window will automatically finish rolling without having to continue to pull up or push down. This actually stopped working as a result of changing the motor and having the vehicle stuck in that feedback loop of being in the middle of the open drop process. I infer that the reason this does not work, is because when the car is engaging in the drop close or drop open process, it uses the automatic power window function to roll the windows (including quarter windows) down as necessary. However, I will say that the windows would still roll up and down as normal as long as I held the switch. This was completely fine for 2 whole years before I started to encounter the issues I mentioned in the beginning of this thread.
  • Another issue is that the open trunk button (the one on the drivers side by the pedals and next to the open fuel cap button) no longer works. I also assume this is because the trunk opens during the drop open and close process so that button is disengaged. In order to open the trunk I have to use the button on my key (only when the car is off), or I can use the trunk latch located inside the center armrest.

Given that this is all a lot going on at once, I would just like to fix my most immediate problem which is to get my window to at least roll up. I am in Miami and it rains constantly and I do not even own my own garage. Theft is also an issue since the window is open enough for anyone to reach in and open the door from the inside. I would guess that it may be a fuse issue, but I have never switched out a fuse and don't know which one would even be responsible for it in order to switch it. It could also be the window motor, but I doubt it since no noise is made when pressing the window buttons, and both windows are not working. I doubt both motors would stop working at the same exact time.

Thank you guys, I hope to resolve this soon because its so inconvenient.
Old Today, 05:19 PM
sc43069
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

When my window on the passenger side quit working I unplugged the battery for 10 minutes and plugged it back and the window worked again.
Old Today, 06:04 PM
Raven01750
Racer

Received 341 Likes on 273 Posts

Where to begin. Your windows are probably in the lock mode because it thinks the top is either in the up or down mode.

Get it manually locked down, disconnect the battery, both posite and negative terminals then leave it for 15 min. Reconnect the battery and hope the code is not a permanent code. Buy the LEXUS Electrical manual. Learn to troubleshoot the top starting with the last two attachments I submitted last night on the SC430 Top problem thread. Your only other choice is very expensive. The price of owning a classic. Sorry for your troubles but I am on the wrong coast to be of any real help.

Paul