SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

quick question for the gurus here. Looking at a 92 SC300 manual.

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:40 AM
FtMyersLS
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
Default quick question for the gurus here. Looking at a 92 SC300 manual.

SO I have a chance to pick up a 92 5 speed with 98k for $11000. WOuld those of yuo that know, consider this a good deal? 2 owner, maroon on gray.

ALso, what issues should I look for when I go see it today?

Thanks in advance
Old Yesterday, 08:41 AM
FtMyersLS
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Forgot to add that my goal for this car would be slight drop (springs), mild turbo 350ish hp and it would hopefully be a reliable garage queen.
Old Today, 02:28 AM
O. L. T.
Keeper of the light

Received 360 Likes on 230 Posts

I wouldnt personally pay but 60% of that for the best example possible.
Old Today, 03:10 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,243 Likes on 866 Posts

It depends on many more factors than what we are seeing here even though from the couple of pictures it does look like a very clean and unmodified example. Mileage does factor in to some extent but the original 5-speed rarity is also a factor.

I would imagine the seller expects some negotiation on the price as with most used private car listings. $11k is a higher starting asking price even for an original 5-speed. The overall condition, how extensive and in depth the long term maintenance and repairs have been and what mileage the chassis has all factor in.

For what it's worth, in 2010 I bought my 1993 SC300 5-speed for $5k. I probably could have still come away with the car for a bit less at the time but I needed a good daily car at the end of a very long search. Today I know they've gone up a bit from that figure.

As for your wishes to make it a mild 350hp (or whp) car... that's very doable and attainable just as an NA-T if you only want that much power when all is said and done. There is still a good deal that goes into making a truly reliable SC300 NA-T at a mere 350hp but when done right will be very reliable.

People's opinions differ on this but switching from the stock W58 to an R154, CD009 or other stronger transmission better suited for the gear shock-loading that a turbo provides is what also goes into a bulletproof reliable setup. Although the longevity of a W58 5-speed paired with a boosted engine it depends on how you drive on it plus how the transmission was treated for years before it came into your hands. The best way is still to upgrade to a stronger manual transmission.

Also, even with only 350hp an LSD installation is recommended at the time you switch to a numerically lower final drive ratio at the rear axle (such as installing a 3.92:1 diff from a 1992-1997 SC400 or a 3.769:1 diff from a 2006-2010 SC430).

The suspension changes you wish for will be very easy to attain. Just watch out for needing to replace the steering rack bushings with new polyurethane and the front lower control arms (with 93-96 Supra MKIV brand new units ideally).

Also when lowering these cars a couple of inches is fine without issue but much lower than that and you MUST do a minor relocation job of the body wiring harness on the driver's side front wheel well. Many people have lowered their SC's more than a mild inch or two without doing that first as a precaution and have seen some of the wires get chewed through (causing unpredictable electrical issues) if ever the tires rub through your plastic fender liner.

As these cars are only getting older with parts not as plentiful as in years past it's worth it to preserve those plastic fender liners anyway by not allowing any severe rubbing or damage upon full compression while on the road.

Before any of that, however, check out the car and see how it looks and feels in person as to how well it has been kept. And see if you and the owner can negotiate from his listing asking price. Wishing you good luck!