NX - 2nd Gen (2022-current)

Noise reduction and sound deadening NVH

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-24, 10:09 AM
Electric65
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Noise reduction and sound deadening NVH

Anyone takes any extra steps with their NX to improve the noise levels and/or any ride harshness? Wonder what the NX could be missing that other Lexus models have and we could incorporate?
  • Know Dynamat in the door panels and/or wheel wells is usually a popular first step
  • Using an ODB dongle to disable the fake engine noise (Engine Sound Enhancement) that Lexus pumps in through the speakers helps a lot and is super cheap and reversible
  • 18" tires instead of 20"
  • Replace the stock run flat tires with regular tires
  • Has anyone with the base/premium trims tried installing the front and rear performance dampers from the F-Sport / Luxury trim? Those are said to help with NVH, but wasn't sure if they're relatively plug-and-play or not to add to the lower trim?

Last edited by Electric65; 08-30-24 at 08:23 AM.
Old 08-27-24, 12:18 PM
nx450plus
Pit Crew

Received 100 Likes on 63 Posts

I had 12 square feet of sound deadener (Stinger product I think. I can't recall) in each of the front two doors. I think it was probably worth it.
Old 08-27-24, 02:10 PM
XLR8TOR
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Electric65
Anyone takes any extra steps with their NX to improve the noise levels and/or any ride harshness? Wonder what the NX could be missing that other Lexus models have and we could incorporate?
  • Know Dynamat in the door panels and/or wheel wells is usually a popular first step
  • Using an ODB dongle to disable the fake engine noise that Lexus pumps in through the speakers helps a lot and is super cheap and reversible
  • Has anyone with the base/premium trims tried installing the front and rear performance dampers from the F-Sport / Luxury trim? Those are said to help with NVH, but wasn't sure if they're relatively plug-and-play or not to add to the lower trims
luxury trim has different suspension than premium or base trim?
Old 08-27-24, 03:28 PM
midcow3
Racer

Received 607 Likes on 403 Posts
Lightbulb Previous NHV discussions

You might want to look at the previous discussions on NHV:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ound+deadening

Some of the ideas are pretty good for reducing NHV

Also, while some like RFTs, they are noisier. But anyway, when you get to the tire replacement stage , there are tire much quieter than OEMs even if you want to stick with RFTs.

Also, if you have 20 inch tires and are willing to spend the money swapping out to 18 inch wheels and tires will be quieter.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 08-27-24, 03:32 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by XLR8TOR
luxury trim has different suspension than premium or base trim?
Base, Premium , and Luxury have the same suspension. The F-Sport is different. The 450h+ rides different than 250,350, and 350h.

Also, you will see a difference in ride between 18" and 20" tires; 18" being smoother.

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 08-27-24, 05:01 PM
lexnxkm
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

• Using an ODB dongle to disable the fake engine noise that Lexus pumps in through the speakers helps a lot and is super cheap and reversible
  • Has anyone with the base/premium trims tried installing the front and rear performance dampers from the F-Sport / Luxury trim? Those are said to help with NVH, but wasn't sure if they're relatively plug-and-play or not to add to the lower trims
Fake noise gets pumped through the speakers? Maybe not on the hybrid?
Old 08-27-24, 07:07 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lexnxkm
Fake noise gets pumped through the speakers? Maybe not on the hybrid?
Here is a thread that discusses the fake noise and how to get rid of it ( lots of reading though, enjoy ) : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/nx-...ght=fake+noise

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old 08-28-24, 11:59 AM
makbn
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

• 18" tires instead of 20"
  • Replace the stock run flat tires with regular tires
Which OBD dongle did you use to disable it? Was it Carista? I'm looking for a cheaper option since I really don't want to spend $120CAD to disable something that shouldn't have been there in the first place.
Old 08-28-24, 05:35 PM
Electric65
Rookie

Originally Posted by makbn
Which OBD dongle did you use to disable it? Was it Carista? I'm looking for a cheaper option since I really don't want to spend $120CAD to disable something that shouldn't have been there in the first place.
Carista but it was like $50 USD on Amazon (just used the free trial for the subscription service)
The following users liked this post:
makbn (08-28-24)
Old 08-29-24, 10:27 AM
rch
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Is this fake engine noise aka "Engine Sound Enhancement" produced in Sport mode only? Somehow I didn't notice it in NX 350h '25 in Normal mode and can't find it in manual.
Old 08-29-24, 06:02 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 579 Likes on 408 Posts

Originally Posted by rch
Is this fake engine noise aka "Engine Sound Enhancement" produced in Sport mode only? Somehow I didn't notice it in NX 350h '25 in Normal mode and can't find it in manual.
It is my understanding that the "active noise control" is only on the NX350 and its more of a noise cancelling system rather than adding noise.
Old 08-29-24, 06:05 PM
rch
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Droid13
It is my understanding that the "active noise control" is only on the NX350 and its more of a noise cancelling system rather than adding noise.
Yes but "Engine Sound Enhancement" is different feature from the "active noise control".
Old 08-29-24, 06:05 PM
Electric65
Rookie

Originally Posted by Droid13
ANC does cancel noise - there’s a separate Engine Sound Enhancement that adds engine noise. 1st gen NX had a **** on dash to control it, but they removed that for the 2nd gen. Only way to remove is via ODB
Old 08-29-24, 06:35 PM
midcow3
Racer

Lightbulb Asc

ANC does cancel noise - there’s a separate Engine Sound Enhancement that adds engine noise. 1st gen NX had a **** on dash to control it, but they removed that for the 2nd gen. Only way to remove is via ODB
Is it call ASC (Active Sound Control) and you have to go to the NX's little brother the "Sports Car" SUV, the UX to get it in 2025

YMMV,
MidCow3
Old Today, 05:10 PM
Droid13
Racer

Received 579 Likes on 408 Posts

I finally got around to playing with these settings. Started by turning off the "ESE" (aka the fake engine sounds) and went for a spin. To be honest, I heard absolutely no difference. Next I turned off the ANC and tried again (ESE still off). This time I was able to notice a slight difference, but very slight. The one thing that most stood out to me was I did a full throttle acceleration from stop, the engine did sound a bit more GGggRRRrrrrrr racy especially winding past 5000rpm @ full boost. However when I reached a tad too far over the speed limit I eased up substantially on the gas and heard a (for lack of a better term) wind down noise that I'd never heard before. I know on older cars with turbos when you back off the throttle quickly after coming off of full boost the car will noisily vent the excess pressure to atmosphere but on modern cars it will recycle the air back into the intake. Perhaps this is what I heard and why ANC is apparently only offered on the NX350. I turned the ANC back on for another drive and it did seem to eliminate these noises, but I will continue to experiment to gain more experience with the settings. I'm going to run with the ESE off for a little while to get used to it off, and then turn it back on at some point in the future to see if I can notice any change going back the other way. We'll see. I'm actually still getting used to my NX again, was away for a week on biz in Cincinatti and was driving a Camry hybrid while there. Drove a lot like the Camry Hybrid I once had except Wow, so much more efficient. I used to break out all the hyper mileage techniques to get that car over 40mpg, but this new one was easily getting over 60mpg (indicated anyway). Even when I drove it aggressively, I could not get the tank ave under 57mpg. It also reminded me how firm the NX suspension is in comparison, but while that Camry was generally smoother, it did not track as nice especially on sweeping highway curves. Also sucked having just FWD, annoying

I also took the opportunity to change my lane change flashes to 4, always found 3 not quite enough. Turned on the close and lock walk away function using the kick sensor instead of the button. Could be handy. I also played with the "control engine torque" to smooth out suspension (or words to that effect) but too soon to notice much difference. Maybe if some extra spare time lands in my lap I'll try to record differences with these settings on and off under same conditions to play back and see if there truly is much of a difference or not.