ES - 7th Gen (2019-present) Discussion topics related to 2019+ ES models

Lexus is trying to match the ES to the germans

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:16 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,194 Likes on 1,645 Posts
Default Lexus is trying to match the ES to the germans

Lexus confirmed their models doesn't have enough chassis rigidity and since 2018 they've been benchmarking the germans. Lexus found that their models could not match German Technology. They took an ES and modified the front to be rigid, for testing purposes. They said they plan to make changes in the future and it will take years. so maybe the next model will be good in that regard, indeed.
Here is the article: https://www.motor1.com/news/731506/l...idity-updates/
Old Yesterday, 10:05 PM
freeflight
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good news. Hope some effort on powertrain as well to catch the Germans
The following users liked this post:
FastDawg (Today)
Old Today, 05:02 AM
ndunn
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Rigidity is good but if I had wanted to drive an over engineered German car I would have bought one. I like my ES just the way it is, it handles well enough and the NA six that runs on regular has plenty enough power if fact more than I'll ever use.
The following 4 users liked this post by ndunn:
ATL350 (Today), ConanTheLibrarian (Today), RobertJay (Today), Shaboom (Today)
Old Today, 05:21 AM
ATL350
Advanced

Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

Why am I worried that in that desire for rigidity to match the Germans the first thing to be sacrificed will be even less road comfort and smoothness? Oh, I forgot, that’s to make it “sporty”. [Insert eye roll here.]. I do agree with ‘freeflight’ that Toyota needs to work on better smoothness on the their 4 bangers. At the Lexus price point these engines should be much more balanced and smoother, and not sound identical to a lower price Toyota. Particularly, I am referring to noise and harshness on acceleration as has been noted by one review after another for some time now.
Shaboom (Today)
Old Today, 05:37 AM
ndunn
Pit Crew

Received 71 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ATL350
Why am I worried that in that desire for rigidity to match the Germans the first thing to be sacrificed will be even less road comfort and smoothness? Oh, I forgot, that’s to make it “sporty”. [Insert eye roll here.]. I do agree with ‘freeflight’ that Toyota needs to work on better smoothness on the their 4 bangers. At the Lexus price point these engines should be much more balanced and smoother, and not sound identical to a lower price Toyota. Particularly, I am referring to noise and harshness on acceleration as has been noted by one review after another for some time now.
The Germans use the mild hybrid to supplement and smooth torque response but then we have added complexity and cost.
Shaboom (Today)
Old Today, 06:54 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Received 164 Likes on 123 Posts

As long as they don't affect the reliability I'm all in. This was just published a few days ago. Lexus is top of Germans by wide margin in that regard.

Old Today, 06:57 AM
ESh
Lead Lap

Received 1,027 Likes on 768 Posts

German cars are too complicated, too expensive to buy and to expensive to maintain.

I don’t want my family luxury car like the ES to be complicated, expensive to buy and expensive to maintain like the germans.

Sadly, lately Lexus is building nice cars but with hard suspension, hard seats…they are loosing everything that Lexus was known for.
I hate all the car journalists that want and ask for “sporty cars”. WTF? I want a car that can go from A to B in pure luxury and comfort. I want sporty cars for the track, not for the normal roads where the speed limit is 50.
The following 3 users liked this post by ESh:
ndunn (Today), scubapr (Today), Shaboom (Today)
Old Today, 07:19 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Received 491 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by ndunn
Rigidity is good but if I had wanted to drive an over engineered German car I would have bought one. I like my ES just the way it is, it handles well enough and the NA six that runs on regular has plenty enough power if fact more than I'll ever use.
DITTO on your post!
Old Today, 07:23 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Amen on that!
Old Today, 07:24 AM
Shaboom
Racer

Originally Posted by ESh
German cars are too complicated, too expensive to buy and to expensive to maintain.

I don’t want my family luxury car like the ES to be complicated, expensive to buy and expensive to maintain like the germans.

Sadly, lately Lexus is building nice cars but with hard suspension, hard seats…they are loosing everything that Lexus was known for.
I hate all the car journalists that want and ask for “sporty cars”. WTF? I want a car that can go from A to B in pure luxury and comfort. I want sporty cars for the track, not for the normal roads where the speed limit is 50.
Amen to your post, too!
Old Today, 07:37 AM
FastDawg
Pit Crew

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

My taste in cars has always been sportier. The one thing that I wish my F Sport offered was the 5.0 liter V8.
Old Today, 07:48 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ndunn
I don't understand statements like this. So you're saying you won't buy the next ES if Lexus keeps their word and makes good on their promise on matching the germans? We're not talking "over engineered powertrains here" (though as you can see the turbo powertrain issues/tundra engine etc issues), Lexus is talking the chassis---metal. Are you saying you don't want that? (along with all the people who liked this post, seemingly thinking they're cheering on Lexus being superior for being inferior) especially when lexus is saying they want to improve.

i don't think you or people who like this statements understands chassis dynamics. lexus is benchmarking german cars for a reason...

FastDawg (Today)
Old Today, 07:51 AM
LexusForever
Pit Crew

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

They should focus on the power train and interior upgrades vs rigidness.
Old Today, 07:51 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Sigh... to those who are calling up "german cars are too complicated."

again...

lexus is only talking chassis dynamics here. unibody construction & design. do you guys even know what that is?

we're not talking powertrains... even though... the new lexus powertrains aren't having the best days (they are actually kinda german now)

we're talking torsional rigidity & chassis dynamics, per this article, per Lexus benchmarking other vehicles against theirs, and studying them for future revision. are you saying Lexus is making the wrong choice?

the short story is ALL should like this and ALL should cheer it on. this is not a tribal "lets fight lexus thing" this is a "lets agree with lexus that lexus needs to improve" thing. are you saying you disagree with lexus? lol
The following 2 users liked this post by E46CT:
FastDawg (Today), scubapr (Today)
Old Today, 08:00 AM
scubapr
Intermediate

Received 164 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by ESh

Agree 100%. Remember seeing a video from the CarCareNut where Toyota implemented a door open/close switch in the latch (like Germans) on a Supra thus making inexpensive part to replace on any other model very difficult for DIY and costly for others.

Quick Reply: Lexus is trying to match the ES to the germans