SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Interesting retractable top issue 30 second video

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-24, 10:14 PM
jimaleg
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Interesting retractable top issue 30 second video

The first 30 seconds of this video summarizes why I could not get my retractable top to close. Apparently, there's a plastic cover to the passenger side male (connects to the top of the windshield) that got lodged in the female hole and it was signaling the system that the top was closed when it was open. Since it's a retractable top issue, I had to go to the dealer ($230 an hour). They first suggested replacing the mechanism in the back of the retractable top due to the plastic shoe that got lodged in the hole at the top of the windshield. After 2 hours of labor charge, dealer said the top was working but advised not to use it since it could get stuck in open position again. Does anyone know if there's a workaround the issue? I don't want to spend $1850 for the part plus $1K in labor to replace a mechanism that's only missing a small plastic shoe. I understand this is a complex question so anyone with a good knowledge of the retractile top as it connects to the windshield would be GREATLY appreciated. I haven't opened the top in the last month due to fear it will not close again.

Here's the video ServiceCartApp (mykaarma.com)
Old Yesterday, 06:37 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 907 Likes on 727 Posts

The system should work just fine the way it is. The missing plastic sleeve probably just reduces wear when it enters the top of the windshield. The rod is metal. Did he give you the plastic sleeve?
have you looked to see if you can buy a new sleeve or is it all one assembly?
if you have the plastic sleeve, i would use an epoxy to glue it back on the metal rod.

BTW, that video was fantastic
The following users liked this post:
doobs (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 09:14 AM
jimaleg
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The dealer would not give me the plastic sleeve because they were afraid it would get caught in the female hole again. I actually asked them for it.
Does anyone know if I can buy this part off ebay or a junk yard? I don't even know what it's called. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 907 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by jimaleg
The dealer would not give me the plastic sleeve because they were afraid it would get caught in the female hole again. I actually asked them for it.
Does anyone know if I can buy this part off ebay or a junk yard? I don't even know what it's called. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks
very odd, you own the part…you paid them to correct the issue, not keep your parts.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bgw70:
doobs (Today), DshngDaryl (Today)
Old Today, 08:07 AM
DshngDaryl
Pole Position

Received 505 Likes on 422 Posts

If they removed the sleeve, you should be good to go to use your roof. If you hear it rattle when you drive, you may want to investigate getting a new sleeve. Otherwise, the sleeve is not needed for operation.
Old Today, 08:50 AM
NEWONE1
Pit Crew

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

If they took the sleeve then they should have given back or replaced it.....wondering if in the future that sleeve should be lubricated? If so, what lube: silicone, lithium, or ? Has anyone ever lubricated them?