LS - 5th Gen (2018-present) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS500 and LS460 F.

LS 500h vs. ES 300h

Search this Thread

Old Today, 09:17 AM
Ran4
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS 500h vs. ES 300h

The fifth-gen LS has gotten a lot of flack for being inferior to the S class/7 series/A8 while still retaining a very high price. However, nowadays you can get a 2021 LS for half of the new price - and when looking at the ~2020-2021 model years, there isn't *that* much of a difference between the LS and the ES.

Is there anyone here that has driven both the LS and the latest-gen (facelift or not) ES in hybrid form (500h and 300h respectively) that could give a comparison?

I've driven an ES 300h of several trim levels, but never an LS (as they're much, much rarer, and in my country I wouldn't be able to test drive these class of cars without a credit check - while I would pass it just fine, the check itself would lower my creditworthiness - so I try to avoid it).

My main points of interests are:
* The Mark Levinson sound system - is it any better in either?
* Noise levels - the executive trim ES isn't exactly silent. Is the executive trim LS more quiet? Nobody knows if you need to get the luxury trim level (not just executive with the luxury trim package) to get double-paned glass on the 5th gen LS.
* Regarding noise levels - I've seen a lot of reviews complaining that the LS 500h has a lot of "electric whine" - is that specific to the LS 500h, or is it no worse than the 300h (where the electric whine is present, but not something I'd complain about).
* Driveability. They're both huge and heavy cars, but they still have fairly stiff chassis and are low to the ground - on a back road, how fun is an LS to drive compared to an ES? The LS 500h has a *lot* more grunt to it (and available as AWD), but it weighs even more. Is the steering ratio the same? Is the steering lighter in the LS, or identical to the ES?

Please note which trim version you've driven (and which market, as trim levels aren't identical), as the suspension and wind noise levels vary widely from trim version to trim version.

I don't really care for the 500 (nor is it available in most markets, as most customers want smoothness) - I don't see why anyone would want a car with a turbo. A Lexus is best with either a hybrid system or an NA engine.

Last edited by Ran4; Today at 09:20 AM.
Old Today, 02:39 PM
Sundriver
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ran4
The fifth-gen LS has gotten a lot of flack for being inferior to...

I don't really care for the 500 (nor is it available in most markets, as most customers want smoothness) - I don't see why anyone would want a car with a turbo. A Lexus is best with either a hybrid system or an NA engine.
In your own words but everyone has their opinion and reason for owning one of these gems.
I would suggest you drive a twin turbo as it may help you get it.