GX - 2nd Gen (2010-2023) Discussion topics related to the 2010 + GX460 models

Anyone have LLUMAR AIR clear tint on their front window?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-24, 06:28 PM
Mantutuli
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone have LLUMAR AIR clear tint on their front window?

I'm wondering if it interferes with the auto headlight sensor. The heat in middle TN is brutal in the summer, so I'm looking for a better solution that a shade.
Manual says ANYTHING on windshield can interfere with the functionality. I could just live without "auto" lights, I guess, but I'd rather not if I dont have to.
Either way, I'd like to know just so I could make an informed decision.
Old 09-03-24, 07:09 PM
Gxme99
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I have in past cars. They can do a little cut out around any sensors etc. I am thinking about it for GX as well b/c of the heat in TX.

The following 2 users liked this post by Gxme99:
Mantutuli (09-03-24), MrTorgue (09-03-24)
Old 09-04-24, 03:48 AM
JimInTN
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Is losing the "auto headlight" feature a bad thing? Mine goes wonky on a regular basis, so I just leave it off.
The following users liked this post:
Mantutuli (09-04-24)
Old 09-04-24, 06:44 AM
Mantutuli
Driver

Originally Posted by JimInTN
Is losing the "auto headlight" feature a bad thing? Mine goes wonky on a regular basis, so I just leave it off.
No, not really. I just like to make informed decisions.
Old 09-04-24, 10:23 AM
Misteracng
Pit Crew

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I have front window film but with suntek. When installed, they cutout around the rearview mirror area where the cameras and sensors are so no issue there. The auto headlight sensor is on the dash hear the windshield drivers side. There is no issue with auto headlight functionality. If the film were darker then it might cause the headlights to come on sooner as the light goes down.
The following 2 users liked this post by Misteracng:
Mantutuli (09-04-24), MrTorgue (09-04-24)
Old 09-04-24, 10:36 AM
Mantutuli
Driver

Originally Posted by Misteracng
I have front window film but with suntek. When installed, they cutout around the rearview mirror area where the cameras and sensors are so no issue there. The auto headlight sensor is on the dash hear the windshield drivers side. There is no issue with auto headlight functionality. If the film were darker then it might cause the headlights to come on sooner as the light goes down.
Thank you!! That was the info I was looking for
Old 09-04-24, 05:37 PM
BullionGX
Rookie

Received 25 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mantutuli
Thank you!! That was the info I was looking for
Can second this. I have nano ceramic tint 35% VLT on the front windshield and there are no problems with the auto headlights.

Last edited by BullionGX; 09-04-24 at 06:45 PM.
Mantutuli (09-04-24)
Old 09-04-24, 06:35 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 185 Likes on 127 Posts

Just curious, how much does an installer charge in your neck of the woods?

I got my front windshield tinted on a different Lexus with a specific tint made for windshields (cant remember brand) I didnt end up liking it and I didnt find it to be a huge game changer when it came to heat. The next time I needed my window replaced, I didnt reinstall. Certain times of the day, it just wasnt crystal clear.

The GX has a strong AC, I live in AZ and I have never had an issue with the car easily cooling everything down even when it's 110+. I've had other makes where it was an issue. Might want to check your AC system, you shouldnt need it. It's cars like Tesla that seem to struggle. Glass roofs are the worst.
Old 09-04-24, 07:05 PM
Mantutuli
Driver

Originally Posted by BradTank
Just curious, how much does an installer charge in your neck of the woods?

I got my front windshield tinted on a different Lexus with a specific tint made for windshields (cant remember brand) I didnt end up liking it and I didnt find it to be a huge game changer when it came to heat. The next time I needed my window replaced, I didnt reinstall. Certain times of the day, it just wasnt crystal clear.

The GX has a strong AC, I live in AZ and I have never had an issue with the car easily cooling everything down even when it's 110+. I've had other makes where it was an issue. Might want to check your AC system, you shouldnt need it. It's cars like Tesla that seem to struggle. Glass roofs are the worst.
Hi
thanks for your response. My truck does cool down very fast, just getting in sucks. my auto start is spotty, and i need to be pretty close to the truck for it to work, so its not worth it to stand outside in the heat waiting even 60 seconds for the truck to cool down.

Whats most important to me is the damage to the dash. I had a mercedes i subjected to intense sun and it dried out/cracked the dash. I'm 64 and intend this to be the last vehicle i buy, assuming I'm not to infirmed to get in and out of it, so I want to do everything I can to keep it in as pristine condition as I possible can (within reason)
Gxme99 (09-04-24)
Old 09-05-24, 07:37 AM
BradTank
Racer

Hi
thanks for your response. My truck does cool down very fast, just getting in sucks. my auto start is spotty, and i need to be pretty close to the truck for it to work, so its not worth it to stand outside in the heat waiting even 60 seconds for the truck to cool down.

Whats most important to me is the damage to the dash. I had a mercedes i subjected to intense sun and it dried out/cracked the dash. I'm 64 and intend this to be the last vehicle i buy, assuming I'm not to infirmed to get in and out of it, so I want to do everything I can to keep it in as pristine condition as I possible can (within reason)
Regarding the dash, just know that modern windshields have close to 100% UV protection already in them, so it's probably not going to make a huge difference in terms of dash life adding an additional layer of tint to your windshield. I've had something like 6 Lexus and live in one of the hottest places in the US, almost all with tripe digit odometers. The only one I ever had a dash issue with was an IS300 and that was a widespread factory defect that had a recall. If the main reason you're wanting it is dash longevity, I wouldnt worry about it.

I do though recommend a good reflective sunshield for the windshield when you're parked.

Mantutuli (09-05-24)
Old 09-05-24, 08:35 AM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 892 Likes on 672 Posts

If the "Remote Window Roll Down" is enabled, you can press and hold the fob 'Unlock" button to
open the windows and sunroof prior to entering. Used to be default factory setting but was dropped
due to folks unfamiliar with the feature inadvertently pressing the fob in their pocket or purse and
opening the car up...in a rainstorm...

You cannot however Close the windows and sunroof from the fob (or the Lexus App) because holding
the closing control overrides the Jam Protection and if you cannot see the child/pet reaching through
the opening it would be trouble.

Release the fob unlock button sooner to stop the opening action when partway down. If you are a
bit OCD as I am you will not appreciate the uneven results, but it is only while you approach and enter.
Once open you can then initiate the fob Remote Start three press cadence to begin the A/C process.
Old 09-05-24, 10:19 AM
Mantutuli
Driver

Regarding the dash, just know that modern windshields have close to 100% UV protection already in them, so it's probably not going to make a huge difference in terms of dash life adding an additional layer of tint to your windshield. I've had something like 6 Lexus and live in one of the hottest places in the US, almost all with tripe digit odometers. The only one I ever had a dash issue with was an IS300 and that was a widespread factory defect that had a recall. If the main reason you're wanting it is dash longevity, I wouldnt worry about it.

I do though recommend a good reflective sunshield for the windshield when you're parked.
My Benz was a 1999, not sure if thats modern enough or not. I've spent a lot of time in Tuscon, and some time in New Mexico. I'd stack up the heat in middle TN against it. Maybe its the dry heat thing, but It feels like the sun is more brutal here. "Real Feel" is around triple digits for most of the summer (may/june-Nov) (to be far, I rode my harley in tuson one time and the rush of hot air into my lungs at speed did make it feel like my lungs were on fire LOL). I'm told Alabama and Mississippi are even worse. Plantation owners use to come to the 100+ degree heat here for the summer to escape how bad it was/is in those two states

I have a sunshield currently but the truck still is hot for "X" time getting in. Besides the direct sun beating down on it, theres also the heat factor inside the cab though out most of the time when the trucks just sitting. Radiating heat away so as to not even heat the glass is also a factor, IMO .

but i appreciate your response and POV
Old 09-05-24, 10:21 AM
Mantutuli
Driver

Originally Posted by mcomer
If the "Remote Window Roll Down" is enabled, you can press and hold the fob 'Unlock" button to
open the windows and sunroof prior to entering. Used to be default factory setting but was dropped
due to folks unfamiliar with the feature inadvertently pressing the fob in their pocket or purse and
opening the car up...in a rainstorm...

You cannot however Close the windows and sunroof from the fob (or the Lexus App) because holding
the closing control overrides the Jam Protection and if you cannot see the child/pet reaching through
the opening it would be trouble.

Release the fob unlock button sooner to stop the opening action when partway down. If you are a
bit OCD as I am you will not appreciate the uneven results, but it is only while you approach and enter.
Once open you can then initiate the fob Remote Start three press cadence to begin the A/C process.
I need to figure out how to do that. I see how to activate it, but it doesnt work. I guess I need to enable it. Directions would be extremely helpful if you know and wouldnt mind sharing

thanks
Old 09-05-24, 11:37 AM
BradTank
Racer

My Benz was a 1999, not sure if thats modern enough or not. I've spent a lot of time in Tuscon, and some time in New Mexico. I'd stack up the heat in middle TN against it. Maybe its the dry heat thing, but It feels like the sun is more brutal here. "Real Feel" is around triple digits for most of the summer (may/june-Nov) (to be far, I rode my harley in tuson one time and the rush of hot air into my lungs at speed did make it feel like my lungs were on fire LOL). I'm told Alabama and Mississippi are even worse. Plantation owners use to come to the 100+ degree heat here for the summer to escape how bad it was/is in those two states

I have a sunshield currently but the truck still is hot for "X" time getting in. Besides the direct sun beating down on it, theres also the heat factor inside the cab though out most of the time when the trucks just sitting. Radiating heat away so as to not even heat the glass is also a factor, IMO .

but i appreciate your response and POV

I agree that the humidity makes it "feel" worse to us humans, but to something like a dash or anything that bakes in the sun, the higher temps are usually worse. I have family in TN, I prefer AZ summers. A "dryer" heat is more comfortable, but 110 is still 110.

Cars that have to sit outside here just dont last. Very little cloud coverage. We dont have rust but we have oxidized paint.

If you get the windshield tint, let us know how it turns out. If you could measure before and after temps, that would be illuminating.

Best of luck.
Mantutuli (09-05-24)
Old 09-05-24, 12:03 PM
Mantutuli
Driver

If you get the windshield tint, let us know how it turns out. If you could measure before and after temps, that would be illuminating.

Best of luck.
Will do, and thanks!

Quick Reply: Anyone have LLUMAR AIR clear tint on their front window?