Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Megan Racing RCA Bolt Snapping and Stretching

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-24, 12:41 PM
D3AN
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Megan Racing RCA Bolt Snapping and Stretching

I purchased an RCA kit from an authorized dealer and upon installing the kit 3 bolts stretched and 1 bolt snapped @ 83ft-lbs (factory spec.) Has anyone had this issue? I emailed Megan Racing to tell them what happened and what torque spec they recommend. No instructions were given in the box.

The bolt head has a 10 on it meaning its a 10.9 Grade bolt and using calipers to measure the shaft diameter came out to 11.13mm meaning its an M12 bolt which should handle 114 ft-lbs of torque.
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM
D3AN
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Update: I calibrated my torque wrench and it was off by 10 ftlbs, so I was torquing to 93ftlb and that's what caused it to stretch and snap. Still, the bolts should have been able to handle more. Take caution when torquing the bolts that come with Megan RCAs.
Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Received 428 Likes on 375 Posts

The one on the right shows some serious stretching.

A bad batch, probably not hardened correctly, not Megan’s fault but the supplier. I have an MR bar arriving tomorrow in fact; I’ll take a hard look at the bolts. Thanks for posting.

Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 436 Likes on 359 Posts

I've been thinking about getting the Megan RCA kit. I haven't seen a bolt stretch like that before, but I don't have much experience with torque wrenches.
Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kira X
I've been thinking about getting the Megan RCA kit. I haven't seen a bolt stretch like that before, but I don't have much experience with torque wrenches.
In the “real world” - that grade hardened steel bolt would take vastly more torque than that w/o stretching or fracturing. That’s simply not hardened at all.

This is sadly a thing. Toyota had problems with it in many cases - transmission internal bearings not hardened adequately and failing from a bad supplier, Aisin built a lot of water pumps with bad bearings like this that forced many warranty repairs and even some seized engines.
Old Yesterday, 11:07 PM
firelizard

Received 458 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Kira X
There are companies that take care to make good products and support the community instead of aiming to be the cheapest available option.

Old Today, 12:01 AM
Oro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by firelizard
There are companies that take care to make good products and support the community instead of aiming to be the cheapest available option.
Megan makes suspension components, not hardware. It appears they fell victim to a supplier. Same as Lexus/Toyota. Let’s be fair.

Many Lexus and Toyota owners out there with trashed transmissions, seized engines, and blown heads for THE EXACT SAME REASON.