IS 500 Threads Conversations specifically about the 2022+ IS500 models.

Car Care Nut comment on V8

Search this Thread

Old Today, 06:32 AM
TGPCanada
Advanced

Received 818 Likes on 340 Posts
Default Car Care Nut comment on V8

Thoughts?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...a-problem.html

The following users liked this post:
Oloung1 (Today)
Old Today, 08:35 AM
95bat
Racer

Received 1,341 Likes on 691 Posts

Originally Posted by TGPCanada
I didn't watch the video because I'm always skeptical of youtube now. OMG CLICK THIS LINK YOUR ENGINE WILL ASPLOOOODDE!!@#!

The more serious the problem appears the more money he makes.
Old Today, 09:03 AM
DLPTony
Pole Position

Received 4,013 Likes on 1,858 Posts

Originally Posted by 95bat
I didn't watch the video because I'm always skeptical of youtube now. OMG CLICK THIS LINK YOUR ENGINE WILL ASPLOOOODDE!!@#!

The more serious the problem appears the more money he makes.
Right! Ugh…that guy. 🤮🙄 Never been the same since his IS500 review. Funny thing, a guy on the FB page took his to the CCN’s shop for service. Said the dude loved the car. Something isn’t right….
Old Today, 10:24 AM
snowyblue
Driver

Received 60 Likes on 25 Posts

Think nothing of it. He’s praised this engine in the past, so I would say it’s more so a way to get views. YT is a money maker. All the ones in his video were way older v8s also
Old Today, 11:31 AM
Bechtold
Instructor

Received 932 Likes on 431 Posts

Car Don't Care Nutjob doesn't get a look from me. I wouldn't take my car to him nor do I listen to his "advice". He can't get certain facts straight about the 2UR engine why should I bother to listen to the rest he has to say. He does clickbaity titles to get you to watch. There are a few "automotive" guys out there that always have the panicked headlines on their thumbnails/titles that I ignore.
Old Today, 12:01 PM
LexusForever
Pit Crew

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bechtold
Car Don't Care Nutjob doesn't get a look from me. I wouldn't take my car to him nor do I listen to his "advice". He can't get certain facts straight about the 2UR engine why should I bother to listen to the rest he has to say. He does clickbaity titles to get you to watch. There are a few "automotive" guys out there that always have the panicked headlines on their thumbnails/titles that I ignore.
Who do you watch?
Old Today, 01:33 PM
Moonman89
Advanced

Received 1,189 Likes on 351 Posts

Doug DeMuro trashed the RCF & GSF
Old Today, 03:32 PM
mastershibe
Driver

Received 95 Likes on 39 Posts

I appreciate his deep knowledge on Toyota platforms, but he needs to be more clear about the takeaways. What are we supposed to do as a result of watching this? He says to maintain your car. But he also blames Toyota and the 100k coolant flush interval.

Reading between the lines, might be good to do coolant flushes at 30 or 50k. Surprised he did not also take the opportunity to mention the valley plate leaks on the 2UR.
Old Today, 03:52 PM
Gerf
Pole Position

Received 844 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by mastershibe
I What are we supposed to do as a result of watching this?
You're supposed to go to his shop instead of the dealer, do you really think his intentions are anything more than increasing traffic in his garage or increasing his revenue from YouTube ?
Don't forget to subscribe and smash the like button !!

Old Today, 04:15 PM
Oloung1
10th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mastershibe
What are we supposed to do as a result of watching this? He says to maintain your car. But he also blames Toyota and the 100k coolant flush interval.

Reading between the lines, might be good to do coolant flushes at 30 or 50k. Surprised he did not also take the opportunity to mention the valley plate leaks on the 2UR.
His takeaways are:
A) All UR and GR engines are high maintenance and will fail - by design. The UZ is apparently bulletproof. Supposedly due to more coolant channel distance from the head gasket.
B) If you machine your head couple thousands down to fix a blown head gasket, you could be off a 1/4 timing chain tooth. So you need the precise thickened head gasket to compensate for correct timing.
C) If you warp your head, you are lucky since you might be able to get it shaved down. If you warp your block, you will have problems because toyota aluminum blocks have mechanical adhesion cylinder liners and machining can make your liners fall out.
D) "From the birth of the UR" the driver side always has tensioner and now head gasket issues. Passenger side is probably good to go.
E) Get your toyota coolant changed every 50k miles/5 years to reduce acidic buildup and head gasket leaching.
F) Sell your v8 toyota when the head gasket blows since it's cheaper just to replace the entire truck than a short/long block rebuild. If your 2gr v6 toyota engine's head gasket blows, you are ok since the coolant will leak outside the cylinder walls.