GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Looking to buy my first Lexus. Suggestions please.

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-24, 04:47 PM
Timurklc
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy my first Lexus. Suggestions please.

Hello,

I'd like to become first-time Lexus owner as I loved the car since the first time I drove it in a dealership (test drive)

I'm specifically looking for either GS450h (mainly) ES300h (secondly) or GS350 / ES350 and third options.

But here is the hard choice, I'm in California and prices here are super high and I'm moving soon to a state where car prices are lower but I can't find any GS450h, only ES300h and that is 2013 models or 2016. But I'll be forced to sell my own car for much less too (it's Mazda 6, 2015, 182K miles.)

Here in California though, there is sever 2013 GS450h 's but they're at 170K miles and cost 15K. Which seems risky especially considering hybrid batteries and all other parts are pricey on these models.

So I'm totally unsure on what to do, on one side, I really do want a GS450h, but I'll be adding 2500 miles to it on first week (driving across the country) plus it has expensive parts and very high miles, hard to sell later on.

On another side, ES300h 2013 seems a good economical choice, even though I never drove one and I don't think I'll like it as much as I liked GS, it's still viable option. But again, in California, it's hard to find a good one for decent price (10-12K)

Keep in mind that I won't have any budget to do repairs too. I'll do pre-inspection on any car I'll buy, so there is that.

Sorry for the long post, and hello Lexus family, I hope I can be a part of you guys.

Also if anyone is selling their GS or ES for reasonable price in California, PLEASE do let me know.

Thank you!
Old 09-10-24, 08:29 PM
EAST
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 149 Posts

What's your price target?
​​​​​​
Old 09-10-24, 08:32 PM
Timurklc
10th Gear

Originally Posted by EAST
What's your price target?
​​​​​​
between 10 to 15.5K
Old Yesterday, 05:34 AM
Richb1954
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your budget is insufficient to buy a lower mileage Lexus, much less a 450H. Save some more cash and check several different buying sources daily. Good cars go quick.
The following users liked this post:
bclexus (Today)
Old Yesterday, 05:38 AM
Timurklc
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Richb1954
Your budget is insufficient to buy a lower mileage Lexus, much less a 450H. Save some more cash and check several different buying sources daily. Good cars go quick.
I'm not really looking at insanely low miles like 50-80K.

I'm looking for 100-150K miles
Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 226 Posts

GS450h are pretty rare and people who do have them holds on to them. I was lucky to find my '13 for 16k OTD. Under 80,000 miles but 2019 was a different time. A low mileage GS, post covid, will command a pretty penny.

You may need to expand your search outside of your state. A quick look at autotrader shows only a handful under 16k but also a handful of last gen GS450h.
Im2bz2p345 (Today)
Old Yesterday, 07:22 AM
Timurklc
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MX73
GS450h are pretty rare and people who do have them holds on to them. I was lucky to find my '13 for 16k OTD. Under 80,000 miles but 2019 was a different time. A low mileage GS, post covid, will command a pretty penny.

You may need to expand your search outside of your state. A quick look at autotrader shows only a handful under 16k but also a handful of last gen GS450h.
I extended my search out of my stat but getting 2013 at 80K for 16K is possibly impossible. They sell for 20-25K nowadays, no less.

Where did you get it for that low?
Old Yesterday, 07:35 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 292 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Timurklc
I extended my search out of my stat but getting 2013 at 80K for 16K is possibly impossible. They sell for 20-25K nowadays, no less.

Where did you get it for that low?
At a local Toyota dealership around Dallas. Like I said, 2019 was a different time where used vehicle price were not overly priced.

Last edited by MX73; Yesterday at 07:54 AM.
Old Yesterday, 07:45 AM
Timurklc
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MX73
At a local Toyota dealership around Dallas. Like I said, 2019 was a different time where used vehicle price was not overly priced.
That is crazy. The car was 5 years younger, much less miles and sold by Toyota dealership itself. Damn.

Currently they're selling 202K mile base (zero options, no luxury pckg) GS450h for like 12K at Toyota.

Crazy. Can we please get that economy back...
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM
EAST
Advanced

Received 195 Likes on 149 Posts

Get it from Hawaii lol
​​​​​​https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...3/NONE/DEFAULT

Honestly, you're probably looking at an ES then, or a non-hybrid GS. Would be good to read around those forums as well to see the differences in generations and engine (those came with a 2.5L vs 3.5L engine).
Old Yesterday, 03:23 PM
Timurklc
10th Gear

Originally Posted by EAST
Get it from Hawaii lol
​​​​​​https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...3/NONE/DEFAULT

Honestly, you're probably looking at an ES then, or a non-hybrid GS. Would be good to read around those forums as well to see the differences in generations and engine (those came with a 2.5L vs 3.5L engine).
Yeahhh really wanted that one in Hawaii, but comes to 23-24K with taxes and shipping, 8K higher than my budget. That one looks SICK though, basically my dream car.

Non-hybrid GS is like 15-19mpg so it's hard to justify. I'm looking at ES300h as well, might jump on one of these if price and miles is good.

Do you think it's a big downgrade from GS450h?

Should I bite the bullet and get 166K mile GS? Or something at 100-140K miles, because I'm planning to sell it after all. Plus don't want to be on hook for all the repairs.
Still trying to sell my Mazda 6 2015 at 182K miles (tough sell due miles) so I got some time.

And any idea what does C1241 code mean for ABS and Power steering? It says low or high voltage. GS450h has these codes on but no dash light, seems to be in great condition but there is another, dealership offers it for 14K with taxes and all costs, also at 166K miles and same trim except interior color. Not sure if there are any OBD codes though, need to check.

Old Today, 07:32 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,617 Posts

@Timurklc - Your wants and your funds don't align with each other. I think you're finding they are far apart. You may think you have set a realistic goal, but you're seeing first-hand your 'want' is really out of your league.

It may not be as bad as wanting to have a fine dining experience at an upscale, sophisticated restaurant - with only enough money to buy a hamburger at McDonalds, but that is about as out-of-reach as what you're trying to do in buying the car you're wanting.

It's not unusual for a buyer to have champagne taste but a beer budget. Somehow your resources need to improve - or you need to give up looking for a car you really cannot afford to buy.

Last edited by bclexus; Today at 07:56 AM. Reason: orthography
Old Today, 10:08 AM
Timurklc
10th Gear

Originally Posted by bclexus
@Timurklc - Your wants and your funds don't align with each other. I think you're finding they are far apart. You may think you have set a realistic goal, but you're seeing first-hand your 'want' is really out of your league.

It may not be as bad as wanting to have a fine dining experience at an upscale, sophisticated restaurant - with only enough money to buy a hamburger at McDonalds, but that is about as out-of-reach as what you're trying to do in buying the car you're wanting.

It's not unusual for a buyer to have champagne taste but a beer budget. Somehow your resources need to improve - or you need to give up looking for a car you really cannot afford to buy.
Sorry but I don't agree tagreI set unrealistic goals.

If we check KBB values, my budget is accurate and even have some extra on top for the car I want.

Sure rarity affects the price, but if we look back and if we ask around for how much people got their own GS450h, you can clearly see that my budget is more than enough for the car I'm looking for.

Check first comment how the guy got his GS450h several years ago, for less and for very minimal miles, keep in mind I'm looking for 100-140K miles and he got it for less. When car was newer and had less miles.

So I don't see your point, or accuracy of the point, when I can show the proof right there under my post.

Appreciate the comment though. Had a good chuckle when I heard McDonalds budget for fine dining... 15K budget that is 2-4K above KBB value is surely a McDonalds hamburger lol
Old Today, 10:57 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,268 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by Timurklc
Budget between 10 to 15.5K

I'm looking for 100-150K miles
@Timurklc - You may have gotten lucky! Here's one that is actually within your budget and your mileage range!

Better sell your high-mileage Mazda 6 quickly. I doubt this 2013 GS 450h will last long!

https://www.edmunds.com/lexus/gs-450...8/?radius=6000

2013 GS 450h Base: $14,995 (MSRP:$59,450.00)
Mileage: 122,888 1 Accident 2 Owners

VIN: JTHBS1BL5D5002768

Last edited by bclexus; Today at 11:23 AM. Reason: orthography
Im2bz2p345 (Today)
Old Today, 02:57 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,165 Likes on 860 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
@Timurklc - You may have gotten lucky! Here's one that is actually within your budget and your mileage range!

Off-topic but that windshield tint on that red GS450h really looks like one of the GS's from the original advertising/marketing images:

Quick Reply: Looking to buy my first Lexus. Suggestions please.