Rear window molding

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-24, 07:28 AM
wardman1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Rear window molding

Hello All -

My rear window trim keeps falling out... We've had it in the shop and they have replaced, but just out of no where when you put the window down, also comes the trim. Anyone else experience this?

I want to buy some real glue/tar and use it to hold it in: 3M weatherstrip adhesive for example.

Thoughts?
Old 09-20-24, 05:31 AM
DanTeSlagX
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by wardman1
Hello All -

My rear window trim keeps falling out... We've had it in the shop and they have replaced, but just out of no where when you put the window down, also comes the trim. Anyone else experience this? (Get a tube for $20 and rub it on any rubber seal you can get to, you should do this anyways as preventative maintenance)

I want to buy some real glue/tar and use it to hold it in: 3M weatherstrip adhesive for example.

Thoughts?
Is the trim weathered or dried out?

If so, recondition it by rubbing in shin-etsu grease (a Honda product you can get on Amazon or eBay) it’s a specially formulated lithium grease that brings dead rubber mostly back to life.

If not, I’d start with a new body shop or redo the whole thing from own parts. If it’s not fitting, something is wrong and glue will not help you.

What will happen if you have an improper insulation is that rain will get past the seal and you’ll have water inside and rust from the inside. Window trim serves an important function. Noise is the most noticeable but it’s really water channeling. Don’t sweat the small stuff.

Somebody dicked something up and this truck deserves to have it done right.
Old 09-23-24, 04:32 AM
wardman1
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DanTeSlagX
Is the trim weathered or dried out?

If so, recondition it by rubbing in shin-etsu grease (a Honda product you can get on Amazon or eBay) it’s a specially formulated lithium grease that brings dead rubber mostly back to life.

If not, I’d start with a new body shop or redo the whole thing from own parts. If it’s not fitting, something is wrong and glue will not help you.

What will happen if you have an improper insulation is that rain will get past the seal and you’ll have water inside and rust from the inside. Window trim serves an important function. Noise is the most noticeable but it’s really water channeling. Don’t sweat the small stuff.

Somebody dicked something up and this truck deserves to have it done right.
Yes - new vehicle, dealer is working on it, They have had it for 4 days again now.... If I get it back, and it comes out, I am also going to use 3M trim adhesive to get it to stay in place. Brand new molding...

Thx
The following users liked this post:
DanTeSlagX (09-23-24)