IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Random thought/vent - curbed wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-24 | 10:45 AM
smitty2919
Pit Crew

Default Random thought/vent - curbed wheels

So my wife and I went on the hunt for a newer IS for her. Previously had a 08 IS250 AWD and as the miles got higher we wanted to find a replacement. So we looked into 3IS cars.

I don't understand how/why this happens, but I have NEVER looked at so many used cars with curbed wheels than the IS models...it became almost a comical game we would play when going to look for one. "I'm betting it has at least TWO curbed wheels". It didn't matter where it was located....Dayton Ohio area all the way down to Louisville/Lexington KY area...all had curbed wheels to some degree.
The car we finally bought was a 2015 IS350 AWD FSport with 62k mi. in PA (5 hrs away) Overall the car is in GREAT shape, no interior touch point wear and very solid...and has the LEAST amount of curb rash.

It sucks because it's not too often I like STOCK wheels, but these 3IS FSport wheels look great to us on this car and I wouldn't change them. So now I'm tempted to try and refinish them, but with the interesting color/finish I don't know how well that will go. What is it with IS owners not knowing how to drive??!!
Old 09-17-24 | 10:56 AM
arentz07

Originally Posted by smitty2919
So my wife and I went on the hunt for a newer IS for her. Previously had a 08 IS250 AWD and as the miles got higher we wanted to find a replacement. So we looked into 3IS cars.

I don't understand how/why this happens, but I have NEVER looked at so many used cars with curbed wheels than the IS models...it became almost a comical game we would play when going to look for one. "I'm betting it has at least TWO curbed wheels". It didn't matter where it was located....Dayton Ohio area all the way down to Louisville/Lexington KY area...all had curbed wheels to some degree.
The car we finally bought was a 2015 IS350 AWD FSport with 62k mi. in PA (5 hrs away) Overall the car is in GREAT shape, no interior touch point wear and very solid...and has the LEAST amount of curb rash.

It sucks because it's not too often I like STOCK wheels, but these 3IS FSport wheels look great to us on this car and I wouldn't change them. So now I'm tempted to try and refinish them, but with the interesting color/finish I don't know how well that will go. What is it with IS owners not knowing how to drive??!!
Have you seen used Teslas?

But anyway, I think several folks on here have had to repair the wheels on F Sport models. It isn't the easiest color to match. However, you could also just repaint them an entirely new color, but I don't know offhand how much that'd cost.

I had my 2016 IS's F Sport wheels repaired a couple times. I wasn't used to driving a car like the IS at the time and curbed a wheel on two different occasions. But it was not obvious that they had been repaired. I had a road hazard warranty with my Lexus dealer, and they had a guy they used for wheel repairs.
Old 09-17-24 | 11:36 AM
smitty2919
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by arentz07
Have you seen used Teslas?

But anyway, I think several folks on here have had to repair the wheels on F Sport models. It isn't the easiest color to match. However, you could also just repaint them an entirely new color, but I don't know offhand how much that'd cost.

I had my 2016 IS's F Sport wheels repaired a couple times. I wasn't used to driving a car like the IS at the time and curbed a wheel on two different occasions. But it was not obvious that they had been repaired. I had a road hazard warranty with my Lexus dealer, and they had a guy they used for wheel repairs.
I avoid Tesla's and their drivers like the plague. Different folk. LOL

Last time I looked into powercoating wheels it was about $100/wheel. I haven't looked at a "wheel refinishing" company. I'd almost be tempted to buy a virgin used set.
Old 09-17-24 | 01:29 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

I blame a lot of it on parking lot design. In recent years they try to pack more cars into less space, and then use ‘islands’ with a tree or two in them to look friendly to the environment, but those islands are too long and have high curbs. No way to get into that stall by the island without scraping a wheel.
Some tire designs attempt to protect the wheel with a broader width at the bead, that sticks out more from the wheel (I know some Michelin tires do that).
Old 09-18-24 | 07:01 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

As long as they're not chrome, the dealership "wheel guys" actually do amazing work.
Old 09-19-24 | 04:59 AM
Bearcats98
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by smitty2919
I avoid Tesla's and their drivers like the plague. Different folk. LOL

Last time I looked into powercoating wheels it was about $100/wheel. I haven't looked at a "wheel refinishing" company. I'd almost be tempted to buy a virgin used set.
I have similar viewpoints on the OEM rims. I like them and the color. However the previous owner must have parked by braille. I have not found a cost effective solution (you can always buy new OEM and ruin yer wallet). So I just grumble about it for now. Its that black chrome that makes it attractive to me...and makes it a chore to fix.
The following users liked this post:
smitty2919 (09-20-24)