GX - 1st Gen (2003-2009) Discussion topics related to the 2003 -2009 GX470 models

'09 Rear Passenger Door will not open from inside

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-24 | 09:34 AM
zerominuszero
3rd Gear

Default '09 Rear Passenger Door will not open from inside

Before you tell me to look if the child lock is on, ive already checked.

Ive search the threads a few times and did not see a thread similar to my issue.
If there is one, please share.

When I purchased the car, the right rear door opened from the inside. Then, it stopped at some point.
The very odd thing is, every once in a while, my kids will instinctually pull the handle and it will open.
It may open a few times, then back to not opening.
Also with this car, the alarm goes off after being locked with the key. (after ~8 to 10m - whatever the default time is)
It goes off everytime IF i do not press the key fob a certain amount of times when locking it.
example: unlock, unlock, unlock, lock, lock, lock
Its like the car has OCD.

My questions are these-
Have others experienced the same issue?
Obviously it seems like an electrical issue, but why wouldnt the handle work? I thought it was mechanical?
What could be a couple direction I should head in?

*also, my stereo head unit randomly turns off.
Old 09-20-24 | 02:02 PM
chiph9
Pole Position

The door locks and radio do not share a fuse.
But when strange things happen like this a common cause are the ECU fuses. There are two under the hood (ECU-B and ECU-B No2) and one in the driver's footwell (ECU-IG). Just go ahead and replace them.

Something else to check is the door jamb switch on the right-rear door. It's got a rubber bellows on it but sometimes they get torn and admit dirt/water. Remove it and clean it. Or just replace it (part number 84231-60070 is about $30)

Next step would be to remove the door card and look at the lock cables, the lock assembly, and the inside handle. Make sure the lock cables are seated into the inside handle and lock assembly (they just press in).

Sorry, I can't help with troubleshooting the lock assembly itself. The wiring diagram isn't clear on how it operates. Note though that there are different left/right locks (not the same part)

Chip H.
Old 09-20-24 | 02:27 PM
zerominuszero
3rd Gear

Thanks Chip!
I super appreciate the detailed response.

Regarding the lock cables.
There is no tension in the nonworking inside door handle. (unlike the working door)
The working door interior handle, when pulled, makes a mechanical friction noise at the door jam lock assembly and has tension when pulled.
Your assessment of the lock cables not being seated may be the culprit. Hopefully its as easy as pressing them back in.

Ill go through the fuse check and door-jam switch as well.

Old 09-20-24 | 04:50 PM
zerominuszero
3rd Gear

***UPDATE***
I removed the door card and disconnected the lock assembly.
I discovered that the inside lock connection on the latch was stripped and the inside handle cable was unable to pull on the lock assembly to open the latch. (see below pic of replacement part)
Also, the plastic portion on the cable-end that connects to the handle assembly to create tension at the handle was broken. (reference pic below)
There is evidence of a couple failed epoxy repairs around to problem areas.
So, there was a previous half-***'d repair to the same issue.

Im checking the ECU fuses for the alarm issue next.

Old 09-21-24 | 07:56 AM
chiph9
Pole Position

You can save a lot of money by ordering from a site like mylparts vs your dealer for something like this.
Enter your VIN so you get the correct one. And like I said, left side & right side are different parts.

Chip H.