ES - 1st to 4th Gen (1990-2006) Forum for all 1990 - 2006 ES300 and ES330 models. ES250 topics go here as well.

99 ES300 oil leak passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-24, 12:41 PM
My99ES300
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 99 ES300 oil leak passenger side

I've got a slow but steady leak onto floor below on the passenger side (results in maybe a couple teaspoons of oil per day) . I suspect it's the cam and crank seals because it seems to be originating behind the timing belt cover.
But what do you guys think based on the pics below? It's not the VCG 'cause those were replaced a few months ago and I verified they're pretty dry and clean today.

Also, a secondary issue is that the "boot" (? I'm not sure if that's what you call it) below the pulley in the 2nd pic is cracked and is leaking grease. How does one fix this? Is it expensive? I will have to pay a mechanic it's beyond my ability.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Old 09-22-24, 02:22 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,053 Likes on 2,565 Posts

Could be the oil pressure sending unit it's above the harmonic balancer they tend to fail and leak. That looks like an aftermarket axle or maybe the OE axle with aftermarket boot. If that's a Toyota axle then get your mechanic to only replace the boots.
Old 09-22-24, 03:40 PM
My99ES300
Rookie

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Could be the oil pressure sending unit it's above the harmonic balancer they tend to fail and leak. That looks like an aftermarket axle or maybe the OE axle with aftermarket boot. If that's a Toyota axle then get your mechanic to only replace the boots.
Lex2K, thanks for that idea. I went just now and took some pics. There's plenty of oil above the oil pressure sending unit (see pic). I also see lots of dark burnt oil behind the alternator between the timing cover etc. I didn't take pic of that.
I don't think it's the oil pressure switch. But any thoughts or ideas are welcome. I bought this car new in 1999 so the axle must be original Toyota. Maybe I had the boot replaced years ago with an aftermarket - I don't remember.

Picture taken from underneath the car.

Old 09-22-24, 05:21 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,053 Likes on 2,565 Posts

It's a fools errand to try and pinpoint leaks, as you drive air blows oil all over the place. Wash the engine, start it and watch that area. If you have original axles don't toss them they are 10x better than anything aftermarket.
Old 09-22-24, 06:10 PM
fortitude
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts

If you have original axles don't toss them they are 10x better than anything aftermarket.
Agreed - as mentioned above, buy an OEM boot kit which comes with new boots, grease and clamps
Old 09-22-24, 06:59 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Received 448 Likes on 390 Posts

That #2 drip looks like hydraulic/atf and not oil. Is it from the pump?

Also, re: boot. IIRC, that’s the long axle side, harder to remove, and more likely to tear the inner seal. I know it’s frowned upon, but that looks like a great place to try this UK-made split boot. I tried one not long ago and it is well-made. It’s a relatively easy job.

This is UK made, instructions are clear and complete on how to do it correctly. They are not good for tri-lobed cans on the large end, but that one is circular and it should work well:

Amazon Amazon

It’s also cheap and quick enough to try and not cry if it doesn’t last forever. As I said, I used one and was reasonably confident it was quality and likely to be worth it.

Old 09-23-24, 07:37 AM
bc1_2002
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Need to replace the serpentine belt. It's cracked to hell. That's a hint the timing belt may be close to being shot, too, ergo seals, water pump.
Old 09-23-24, 08:06 AM
My99ES300
Rookie

Oro, Thanks for the tip -I've seen videos of this before (the boot kit)
Old 09-23-24, 08:10 AM
My99ES300
Rookie

Originally Posted by bc1_2002
Need to replace the serpentine belt. It's cracked to hell. That's a hint the timing belt may be close to being shot, too, ergo seals, water pump.
You noticed! And yeah it needs the timing belt, seals, water pump etc.
Old 09-23-24, 08:11 AM
My99ES300
Rookie

It's a fools errand to try and pinpoint leaks, as you drive air blows oil all over the place. Wash the engine, start it and watch that area. If you have original axles don't toss them they are 10x better than anything aftermarket.
Ok. I am getting some UV dye and will see what happens.
Old 09-23-24, 10:57 AM
Oro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by My99ES300
You noticed! And yeah it needs the timing belt, seals, water pump etc.
After the TB, it is far more important to replace the tensioner than any seal or the water pump. Do not omit that. It is the only “must” replace item besides the TB in fact, the rest are optional.
Old 09-23-24, 01:05 PM
My99ES300
Rookie

Originally Posted by Oro
After the TB, it is far more important to replace the tensioner than any seal or the water pump. Do not omit that. It is the only “must” replace item besides the TB in fact, the rest are optional.
Thanks didn't know that. But I assumed they would replace tensioner from what I saw in the TRQ video.

Old 09-23-24, 01:17 PM
Oro
Pole Position

Originally Posted by My99ES300
Thanks didn't know that. But I assumed they would replace tensioner from what I saw in the TRQ video.

Make certain. I have seen it not done. IME, the tensioners have failed more often than belts (1 vs 0). When the tensioner fails, the valve train loses time, of course, same as if the belt snapped in two.

TRQ videos may be fine; don’t buy their parts. I purchased a “new” axle for a different car recently, TRQ. It arrived and was clearly used and merely cleaned and re-booted. The outboard CV joint was seized (would not freely rotate). I popped the inboard carrier bearing cover off, and there was barely any grease in the sealed bearing. It was trash, right out of the box.
Old 09-23-24, 07:47 PM
My99ES300
Rookie

Originally Posted by Oro
Make certain. I have seen it not done. IME, the tensioners have failed more often than belts (1 vs 0). When the tensioner fails, the valve train loses time, of course, same as if the belt snapped in two.

TRQ videos may be fine; don’t buy their parts. I purchased a “new” axle for a different car recently, TRQ. It arrived and was clearly used and merely cleaned and re-booted. The outboard CV joint was seized (would not freely rotate). I popped the inboard carrier bearing cover off, and there was barely any grease in the sealed bearing. It was trash, right out of the box.
Yikes, that sounds shady. too bad because the guy who does the videos for this car is really good. Noted on the tensioner.
Old 09-23-24, 07:59 PM
My99ES300
Rookie

UPDATE. I took the timing belt cover off. The timing belt area looks pretty clean . Should there be oil in there if the cam seals and crank seals were leaking?

I put UV dye in the oil and I clearly see a leak from where the front valve cover meets the timing belt (see pic) . Do you think it could be the valve cover gasket? I did it 6mos ago, but maybe I didn't RTV well enough in the little corners. Also, I used Fel-Pro. Maybe that was a mistake.

Pictures under UV light:

There's also some oil below the timing belt. I'm thinking it's the same source above, but gravity pulls it down.

Quick Reply: 99 ES300 oil leak passenger side