LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Nav replacement screen

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-24 | 10:16 AM
erse
Rookie

Default Nav replacement screen

To make my life complete it looks like the nav screen on my 02 decided to stop working properly on the way to work this morning. I see a bunch of threads on replacement. My question is this has anyone had to pay someone else to take care of it? Audioshop or the like?
I don't mind tackling it myself but it will have to wait until at least feb of next year as I am 7 days a week right now between work and grad school. It can probably wait as the ac is working/parking sensors still work so nothing critical is affected at the moment.

That said if I can pay someone to do it I would consider it but seems like it's a niche problem I'm wondering whether anyone outside of the community would even know how to tackle it?

Appreciate any thoughts on the matter
Old 09-26-24 | 03:57 PM
DrVlikhell
Pit Crew

A good custom stereo/car electronics shop should be able to do it. Emphasis on good. There are a lot of hack jobs and idiots out there. A good shop will have access to resources detailing how to disassemble the interior of virtually any car for the purpose of installing stereos, alarms, remote starters, radar/laser kits, 360 cameras, etc. A friend of mine owns and operates a car electronics shop and he would have no problem doing it, but he's in CT. Just have to find the right shop. Though you'll probably need to source a replacement screen yourself regardless, because if a shop does it they'll either mark it up or charge you for the half hour they spent looking for a decent one.

Waiting is fine as well. I leave the screen in my car off because I hate having to touch to accept the warning every time I start the car, the navigation is half useless since it's so out of date, and I leave the AC set on Auto 95% of the time.
The following users liked this post:
erse (09-26-24)
Old 09-26-24 | 05:01 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

I haven't done this in my LS430, but I do have a 2007 Solara convertible that had a damaged screen from when the previous owner fat fingered it.

I did some reading on eBay and happened to find a guy who lives in my area who had good reviews who did radio repair. I took the radio to him, and a couple hundred bucks later, I had a new screen in it that has worked flawlessly since.
The following users liked this post:
erse (09-26-24)
Old 09-26-24 | 06:53 PM
DrVlikhell
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by YoshiMan
I haven't done this in my LS430, but I do have a 2007 Solara convertible that had a damaged screen from when the previous owner fat fingered it.

I did some reading on eBay and happened to find a guy who lives in my area who had good reviews who did radio repair. I took the radio to him, and a couple hundred bucks later, I had a new screen in it that has worked flawlessly since.
Did the guy replace just the LCD screen in the head unit, or did he replace the entire head unit? If it's just the LCD screen, I don't suppose you remember any details on the screen? I'd be interested in doing that to mine as I have a "rainbow spiderweb" of cracks due to the Florida heat and I don't know how much longer it'll last. Either way I'd never thought of replacing just the LCD... that gives me something to look into now.
Old 09-26-24 | 07:01 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DrVlikhell
Did the guy replace just the LCD screen in the head unit, or did he replace the entire head unit? If it's just the LCD screen, I don't suppose you remember any details on the screen? I'd be interested in doing that to mine as I have a "rainbow spiderweb" of cracks due to the Florida heat and I don't know how much longer it'll last. Either way I'd never thought of replacing just the LCD... that gives me something to look into now.
I have the same “spidered” screen in my 01 for the last few years. Nav still works but I don’t use it anyway. The screen itself can’t be replaced. It’s the entire unit that must be found used. Finding one in good shape is difficult and it’s not a diy job. If replacing with aftermarket, than rewiring will most likely be necessary. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 09-27-24 | 05:06 AM
OrionHunt
Rookie

You can definitely replace just the screen. It’s a Toshiba touchscreen. Just have to make sure the part numbers match. It’s plug and play. If you’ve built a PC before, you can do it. It’s just a matter of taking it apart and putting it back together, takes like 2 hours. Make sure you use an anti static mat or something.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40510469094...JMF8SCYYFX696G

https://www.germanaudiotech.com/prod...2003-2004-2005

I would take yours apart and get the part number off the back before buying a new one. Pre facelift and post face lift are different part numbers I think. So make sure you use the right one

Last edited by OrionHunt; 09-27-24 at 05:25 AM.
Old 09-27-24 | 07:26 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

You can definitely replace just the screen. It’s a Toshiba touchscreen. Just have to make sure the part numbers match. It’s plug and play. If you’ve built a PC before, you can do it. It’s just a matter of taking it apart and putting it back together, takes like 2 hours. Make sure you use an anti static mat or something.

I would take yours apart and get the part number off the back before buying a new one. Pre facelift and post face lift are different part numbers I think. So make sure you use the right one

Sorry for not being aware of a replacement screen. Let us know if you decide to move forward with the replacement. It would be helpful for others with a similar issue. Good luck.
Old 09-27-24 | 09:41 PM
YoshiMan
Racer

Did the guy replace just the LCD screen in the head unit, or did he replace the entire head unit? If it's just the LCD screen, I don't suppose you remember any details on the screen?
He just replaced the screen itself on the head unit. It's one of the Toyota radios that has the motorized tilting screen to allow you to insert CDs, and it operates flawlessly.

This is the radio right before I had the repair done. You can see the cracks in the screen if you look closely.

Old 09-28-24 | 04:48 AM
DrVlikhell
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by OrionHunt

That's fantastic, thanks for the info. I'll put it on my list, but it will be quite a while before I get around to replacing it. Currently my list is door locks, exhaust, seat tear, speakers, headlight restore and paint chips.
Old 09-30-24 | 08:57 AM
erse
Rookie

I am on the other side of the country unfortunately, I wonder if your friend has a recommendation on which replacement to choose? If he's done a few of these I would guess for an installer some are easier to work with than others
Old 09-30-24 | 03:39 PM
DrVlikhell
Pit Crew

When my friend does stuff like that he doesn't replace the LCD with a new one, he just swaps out the entire head unit with whatever the customer supplies - generally people get them from ebay or junk yards. I've taken out the head unit before, it's not very hard. There's just a lot of bolts, so knowing where they all are is key. The hardest part for me was removing the AC buttons set into the dash without scratching the dash, because there are two bolts behind them that hold the upper part of the head unit in. Also, another thought occurred to me, if your screen stopped working entirely, it may not be the LCD, it could be whatever the LCD is connected to inside the head unit that went bad. The reason I'm specifically interested in just the LCD is because mine still works, it's just that the LCD that has spiderweb marks on it.
Old 09-30-24 | 04:39 PM
erse
Rookie

When my friend does stuff like that he doesn't replace the LCD with a new one, he just swaps out the entire head unit with whatever the customer supplies - generally people get them from ebay or junk yards. I've taken out the head unit before, it's not very hard. There's just a lot of bolts, so knowing where they all are is key. The hardest part for me was removing the AC buttons set into the dash without scratching the dash, because there are two bolts behind them that hold the upper part of the head unit in. Also, another thought occurred to me, if your screen stopped working entirely, it may not be the LCD, it could be whatever the LCD is connected to inside the head unit that went bad. The reason I'm specifically interested in just the LCD is because mine still works, it's just that the LCD that has spiderweb marks on it.
Yeah it seems like its more the Nav boot up process is interrupted, the screen powers on but the touch screen for "agree" does not work and therefore you can't get past it to the other functions. It seems the way to go is just get rid of the whole deal and replace with aftermarket. At least that seems like the go to solution for most people
Old 09-30-24 | 05:01 PM
DrVlikhell
Pit Crew

Oh I see, I thought your screen wasn't displaying anything at all. If it displays but you can't hit OK to get past the disclaimer then either the touch sensor overlay, aka digitizer, has gone bad, or the head unit itself is malfunctioning. In a previous LS430, I installed one of those Android head units from Aliexpress. It works very well and gives an updated look with access to Android apps and maps as well as car play/android auto if you want to go that route.
Old 09-30-24 | 05:17 PM
erse
Rookie

[QUOTE=DrVlikhell;11796532]Oh I see, I thought your screen wasn't displaying anything at all. If it displays but you can't hit OK to get past the disclaimer then either the touch sensor overlay, aka digitizer, has gone bad, or the head unit itself is malfunctioning. In a previous LS430, I installed one of those Android head units from Aliexpress. It works very well and gives an updated look with access to Android apps and maps as well as car play/android auto if you want to go that route.[/QUOTE

I don't see any other good option at this point. I think I am going to order the amazon unit mentioned in the other thread just because it will get here fast and will be easy to return if there are any problems vs. buying one from overseas. Not the cheapest option unfortunately but shoot its only money right!
Old 10-01-24 | 06:30 PM
erse
Rookie

Does anyone know if the fuse thats responsible for the nav screen is also connected to the buttons that surround it? Now that the screen has frozen those little green lights do not come on but the nav screen does have power and lights up, just wondering if they are two different fuses? Looks like in fuse box 2 fuse number 4 is responsible for "multimedia screen" which I assume is the Nav