Erratic heated steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old Today, 03:43 PM
pschmutzle
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Erratic heated steering wheel

Hi folks,

I've owned my 2014 ES for almost five years and used the heated steering wheel MANY times over that time. Yesterday, it did something novel on my morning commute. It was on and felt normal for several minutes, but I then noticed it seemed to be getting hotter. Over the course of another minute or two, it got to where it was almost too hot to touch. I moved my hands to the wood to keep off of the heat for a short while. When I checked again a minute or two later, it was still much hotter than normal.

At this point, I turned off the heated steering wheel button and waited until it cooled off. I then turned it back on and finished my commute. It felt normal the rest of the drive.

Since then, I've used it once or twice without anything seeming unusual.

At first, I thought it was going to blow a fuse as it was allowing too much voltage to pass through to the elements, but since it's now working normally again, I can't see that being the case.

Any thoughts on what has caused this and if/how it should be addressed?

Thanks!
Old Today, 05:02 PM
Tootsall
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 176 Posts

You're in Tennessee and it was...what?... 65, 70 this morning? And you need the heater on? I'd suggest waiting until the temperature is 35F or lower! I've also felt that the steering wheel heater got fairly warm at times...usually when I have been holding the grips (3/9 o'clock positions) steadily while wearing gloves (well, it is usually around 10F or lower in the morning...one morning it was -40F, although the car was parked inside an unheated garage at about 25F).. However, once the cabin was up to temperature I just turn it off so no worries. As long as the heater works on a winter's day I'm not going to fuss over it. Now, the seat heater...that is something I rely on...it sure helps the ache in my back! Not to make fun at you but honestly, I'd not stress over it. If you feel it's too warm, just turn it off or reposition your hands, or not turn it on in the first place. Better than it not coming on at all!

Last edited by Tootsall; Today at 05:08 PM.